|Born||January 17, 1995|
New York City, U.S.
|Residence||The Bronx, New York|
A Bronx native, Indya Moore's mother is Puerto Rican and her father is from the Caribbean. At the age of 14, Moore left her parents' home due to their transphobia and entered into foster care. She moved around frequently during this time, eventually living in all five boroughs of New York. She was frequently bullied and dropped out of high school during her sophomore year. She began working as a model at the age of 15, but eventually earned her General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
Although Moore was booking modeling gigs, she became increasingly disenchanted with the fashion industry and its emphasis on body image. Moore met legendary dancer and ballroom veteran Jose Gutierez Xtravaganza while doing background for the television series The Get Down. He encouraged her to pursue acting and sent Moore to an audition for the independent film Saturday Church. Moore landed the role of Dijon, and the film was screened at the Tribeca Film Festival. The Hollywood Reporter called it "sweet and soulful". The film was later released on January 12, 2018 by Samuel Goldwyn Films.
In early 2017, Moore walked in New York Fashion Week and was photographed for Vogue España. That year, Moore appeared in Katy Perry’s music video for the single “Swish Swish”, and performed live with Perry on the May 20, 2017 episode of Saturday Night Live, where she was credited as a member of the House of Xtravaganza.
Pose television series
In late 2017, Moore was cast in Pose, Ryan Murphy's FX television series about the New York ball culture in the late 1980s. Moore portrays Angel Evangelista in the series, a transgender sex worker who joins the House of Evangelista after leaving the House of Abundance with her friend Blanca. She meets Stan, played by Evan Peters, while working at the piers and becomes his mistress.
The series premiered on June 3, 2018, and attracted critical acclaim. The first season boasted the largest cast of transgender actors ever for a scripted network series with over 50 transgender characters. On July 12, 2018, it was announced that the series had been renewed for a second season, which is set to premiere sometime in 2019.
In 2018, Moore signed a contract with IMG Models and William Morris Endeavor (WME). She was WME's first signed trans contract. Moore also started the production company Beetlefruit Media, which tell stories about disenfranchised groups.
Moore appears in the forthcoming horror television series, Magic Hour, directed by Che Grayson and filmed in Tokyo. Moore also serves as an executive producer on Magic Hour, which is a gender-bending recreation of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. She is also set to appear in the short film Spot and the independent feature Port Authority, which, like Pose, is also about Ballroom culture.
|TBA||Magic Hour||Bella||Also executive producer|
- Fasanella, Allie (2018-06-10). "Get to Know the 5 Trans Actors on "Pose" Making Television History". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- Out.com editors (2018-07-17). "Cover Exclusive: The Cast of 'Pose' Takes Center Stage & Makes History". Retrieved 2018-08-01.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Gollayan, Christian (2018-05-31). "This once-bullied trans actress is now the star of 'Pose'". New York Post. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- Skahill, Madi (2018-07-27). "Inside the Breakout of Indya Moore". WWD. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- WWD, Madi Skahill |. "Indya Moore on her acting career and how she found her way to FX's 'Pose'". latimes.com. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- "Saturday Church Review | Tribeca 2017". The Hollywood Reporter. April 23, 2017. Retrieved August 18, 2017.
- Thomas, Chris (November 18, 2017). "Exclusive: Transgender Youth Find Their Voice at Saturday Church". Out. Retrieved January 21, 2018.
- Lambe, Stacy (July 18, 2018). "Breakout Star Indya Moore on Pose, Working With Evan Peters and Angel's Red Pumps (Exclusive)". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- "Video of the Day: Indya Moore and Elliott Sailors in J. Views' "Don't Pull Away"". GO Magazine. March 9, 2017. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- Gray, Madeleine. "Actual Angel And Trans WoC, Indya Moore, Makes Out With Lesbian Model Elliot Sailors In New Music Video". Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- Renzi, Dan (May 22, 2017). "We identified the performers in Katy Perry's 'Swish Swish' on SNL". Queerty. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 25, 2017). "FX's 'Pose': Ryan Murphy Sets Largest Transgender Cast Ever For Scripted Series". Deadline Hollywood. Los Angeles, California: Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved November 16, 2017.
- Marine, Brooke (2018-07-16). "Pose Breakout Star Indya Moore Debunks Myths About Normative Beauty and Body Hair". W Magazine. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- "Pose: Season 1 - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 23, 2018.
- "Pose: Season 1 - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- "New Ryan Murphy Musical Dance Series POSE Gets Full Season Order". BroadwayWorld.com. December 27, 2017. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- Otterson, Joe (July 12, 2018). "'Pose' Renewed for Season 2 at FX". Variety. Los Angeles, California: Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- Kai, Maiysha. "Beauty Is Beauty: Pose's Indya Moore Lands Coveted Contracts with IMG and William Morris". The Glow Up. Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- "'Pose' Breakout Indya Moore Signs With WME (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- "Blood Orange Debuts New "Saint" Video (ft Indya Moore) • GSLM". GSLM. 2018-08-27. Retrieved 2018-08-29.
- "'Pose' Breakout Indya Moore To Star In, Executive Produce Modern 'Frankenstein' TV Series, 'Magic Hour'". shadowandact.com. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- "MK2: Indya Moore, McCaul Lombardi to Topline 'Port Authority;' MK2 Unveils Teaser".
- "INTERVIEW: Trans actress Indya Moore on representation: putting a trans face on an anti-trans institution is not enough".
- "Attention Cis People: You Can Relate to Trans Characters". PAPER. 2018-07-03. Retrieved 2018-08-13.