|Born||January 17, 1995|
New York City, U.S.
Indya Adrianna Moore (born January 17, 1995) is an American actor and model. They[a] are known for playing the role of Angel Evangelista in the FX television series Pose. Time named them one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2019. Moore is transgender and non-binary, and uses they/them and she/her pronouns.
Assigned male at birth, Indya Moore is a Bronx native of Haitian, Puerto Rican, and Dominican ancestry. At the age of 14, they left their parents' home due to their parents' transphobia, and entered into foster care. They moved around frequently during this time, eventually living in all five boroughs of New York City. After being frequently bullied, Moore dropped out of high school during their sophomore year. They began working as a model at the age of 15, and eventually earned their General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
Although Moore was booking modeling gigs, they became increasingly disenchanted with the fashion industry and its emphasis on body image. Moore met ballroom dancer Jose Gutierez Xtravaganza while doing background for the television series The Get Down. He encouraged them to pursue acting and sent Moore to an audition for the independent film Saturday Church. Moore landed the role of Dijon, and the film was screened at the Tribeca Film Festival. The Hollywood Reporter called it "sweet and soulful". The film was later released on January 12, 2018, by Samuel Goldwyn Films.
In early 2017, Moore walked in New York Fashion Week and was photographed for Vogue España. That year, Moore appeared in Katy Perry's music video for the single "Swish Swish", and performed live with Perry on the May 20, 2017, episode of Saturday Night Live, where they were credited as a member of the House of Xtravaganza.
Pose television series
In late 2017, Moore was cast in Pose, Ryan Murphy's FX television series about New York City ball culture in the late 1980s. Moore portrays Angel Evangelista, a transgender sex worker who joins the House of Evangelista after leaving the House of Abundance with her friend Blanca, portrayed by Michaela Jaé Rodriguez. While working at the piers, she meets Stan, a yuppie played by Evan Peters, and becomes his mistress.
The series premiered on June 3, 2018. The first season boasted the largest cast of transgender actors ever for a scripted network series with over 50 transgender characters. On July 12, 2018, it was announced that the series had been renewed for a second season, which premiered on June 11, 2019.
In 2018, Moore signed a contract with IMG Models and William Morris Endeavor (WME). Moore was WME's first signed contract with a trans actor. Moore also started the production company Beetlefruit Media, which provides a platform for stories about disenfranchised groups.
Moore will appear in the upcoming horror television series, Magic Hour, a gender-bending recreation of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, directed by Che Grayson and filmed in Tokyo, on which they also serve as an executive producer. Moore is set to appear in the short film Spot.
In June 2020, in honor of the 50th anniversary of the first LGBTQ Pride parade, Queerty named them among the fifty heroes "leading the nation toward equality, acceptance, and dignity for all people".
Moore is transgender and non-binary and goes by they/them and she/her pronouns. Moore has spoken openly about their lifelong struggles with the bullying and transphobia that caused them to leave home at 14 and drop out of school in the 10th grade.
In an interview with Pose co-star Michaela Jaé Rodriguez, Moore discussed how, despite identifying as non-binary, being seen as a woman means they are still subjected to the same "surveillance and scrutiny" as women, and to a desire to use fashion to take back that power:
MOORE: I feel like that about fashion. I feel like that about us having the autonomy to express ourselves. I'm non-binary but I don't really talk about it that much. I don't feel like people really are there yet for understanding it, which I don't mind, but I also acknowledge the way people see me as a woman. And because I'm seen as a woman, a cis woman or binary presenting, people are going to hold me up to those same standards that women are held up to.
RODRIGUEZ: Which you're saying you shouldn't be, right?
MOORE: Which I'm saying women should not be.
|†||Denotes works that have not yet been released|
|2019||Queen & Slim||Goddess|
|2020||The One||Dr. Watkins||Short film|
|Magic Hour||Bella||Short film; also executive producer|
|A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting||Peggy Drood|
|2021||Escape Room: Tournament of Champions||Brianna Collier|
|2023||Nimona||Alamzapam Davis (voice)|
|Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom †||Karshon||Filming|
|2018–21||Pose||Angel Evangelista||25 episodes|
|2019||Steven Universe Future||Shep (voice)||Episode: "Little Graduation"|
|2023||Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur||Brooklyn (voice)||2 episodes|
|2017||"Don't Pull Away"||Lead Girl||J.Views (ft. Milosh)|
- Yuan, Jada (May 9, 2019). "Indya Moore Just Wants to Be Free". ELLE. Retrieved May 10, 2019.
- Moore, Indya [@IndyaMoore] (January 17, 2020). "Thank you all so much for the birthday love!!" (Tweet). Retrieved July 30, 2020 – via Twitter.
- "Cover Exclusive: The Cast of 'Pose' Takes Center Stage & Makes History". 2018-07-17. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- "Indya Moore, Ryan Murphy lead TIME 100's influential LGBT people · PinkNews". www.pinknews.co.uk. 17 April 2019. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- Rodriguez, Mj (January 11, 2019). "Indya Moore Brews A Perfect Cup of Tea". L'Officiel.
- @IndyaMoore (September 13, 2019). "I'm non binary, femme, Agender feels fitting too. My pronouns: they/them/theirs" (Tweet). Retrieved September 21, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Silva, Cynthia (December 12, 2020). "'Pose' star Indya Moore is spreading holiday cheer to trans youth". NBC News. Retrieved April 2, 2021.
- Jada Yuan, Indya Moore Just Wants to Be Free, May 9, 2019, Elle
- Gollayan, Christian (2018-05-31). "This once-bullied trans actress is now the star of 'Pose'". New York Post. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- Skahill, Madi (2018-07-27). "Inside the Breakout of Indya Moore". WWD. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- WWD, Madi Skahill | (30 July 2018). "Indya Moore on her acting career and how she found her way to FX's 'Pose'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- Fasanella, Allie (2018-06-10). "Get to Know the 5 Trans Actors on "Pose" Making Television History". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- "Saturday Church Review | Tribeca 2017". The Hollywood Reporter. April 23, 2017. Retrieved August 18, 2017.
- Thomas, Chris (November 18, 2017). "Exclusive: Transgender Youth Find Their Voice at Saturday Church". Out. Retrieved January 21, 2018.
- Lambe, Stacy (July 18, 2018). "Breakout Star Indya Moore on Pose, Working With Evan Peters and Angel's Red Pumps (Exclusive)". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- "Video of the Day: Indya Moore and Elliott Sailors in J. Views' "Don't Pull Away"". GO Magazine. March 9, 2017. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- Gray, Madeleine. "Actual Angel And Trans WoC, Indya Moore, Makes Out With Lesbian Model Elliot Sailors In New Music Video". Archived from the original on August 13, 2018. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- Renzi, Dan (May 22, 2017). "We identified the performers in Katy Perry's 'Swish Swish' on SNL". Queerty. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 25, 2017). "FX's 'Pose': Ryan Murphy Sets Largest Transgender Cast Ever For Scripted Series". Deadline Hollywood. Los Angeles, California: Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved November 16, 2017.
- Betancourt, Bianca (2021-08-19). "Mj Rodriguez Is Ready for Her Cinderella Moment". Harper's BAZAAR. Retrieved 2021-09-15.
- Marine, Brooke (2018-07-16). "Pose Breakout Star Indya Moore Debunks Myths About Normative Beauty and Body Hair". W Magazine. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- "Pose: Season 1 – Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 23, 2018.
- "Pose: Season 1 – Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- "New Ryan Murphy Musical Dance Series POSE Gets Full Season Order". BroadwayWorld.com. December 27, 2017. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- Otterson, Joe (July 12, 2018). "'Pose' Renewed for Season 2 at FX". Variety. Los Angeles, California: Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- Kai, Maiysha. "Beauty Is Beauty: Pose's Indya Moore Lands Coveted Contracts with IMG and William Morris". The Glow Up. Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- "'Pose' Breakout Indya Moore Signs With WME (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- "Blood Orange Debuts New "Saint" Video (ft Indya Moore) • GSLM". GSLM. 2018-08-27. Retrieved 2018-08-29.
- Street, Mikelle (May 9, 2019). "Indya Moore Makes History As First Trans Person to Cover Elle US". Out. Retrieved May 11, 2019.
- Street, Mikelle (December 30, 2019). "Indya Moore Just Debuted as a 'Steven Universe' Character". Out. Archived from the original on January 24, 2022. Retrieved December 30, 2019.
- Moore, Indya [@IndyaMoore] (December 29, 2019). "Omg i was so nervous about this read lol im so happy people enjoyed it 😭🥰🤗 sounds like we need to bring shep back as a regular?!? 😁😂😏😊 @cartoonnetwork @rebeccasugar #StevenUniverse #StevenUniverseFuture" (Tweet). Archived from the original on January 5, 2020. Retrieved December 30, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Meet Shep, Indya Moore's Nonbinary Steven Universe Character". Pride.com. January 9, 2020. Archived from the original on May 28, 2022. Retrieved June 14, 2022.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (2020-02-28). "'Escape Room 2' Now Opening Doors At End Of 2020". Deadline. Retrieved 2020-03-01.
- Steve Loter [@steveloter] (February 11, 2023). "yes" (Tweet). Archived from the original on February 16, 2023. Retrieved February 12, 2023 – via Twitter.
- Steve Loter [@steveloter] (February 11, 2023). "Brooklyn!" (Tweet). Archived from the original on February 14, 2023. Retrieved February 12, 2023 – via Twitter.
- "'Pose' Breakout Indya Moore To Star In, Executive Produce Modern 'Frankenstein' TV Series, 'Magic Hour'". shadowandact.com. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- "INTERVIEW: Trans actress Indya Moore on representation: putting a trans face on an anti-trans institution is not enough". 2017-04-25.
- "Queerty Pride50 2020 Honorees". Queerty. Retrieved 2020-06-30.
- Reddish, David (2020-06-01). "Meet the world-class performers who are diversifying LGBTQ representation". Queerty. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- "Attention Cis People: You Can Relate to Trans Characters". PAPER. 2018-07-03. Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- Jackman, Josh (December 27, 2018). "Pose star Indya Moore has come out as poly". PinkNews.
- Twitter thread, Indya Moore's official twitter