Infant Jesus School Kollam
|This article does not cite any sources. (October 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Infant Jesus Anglo-Indian Higher Secondary School, Tangasseri, Kollam|
|Tangasseri, Kollam , Kerala
|Motto||Ora et labora|
|Patron saint(s)||Bishop of Kollam|
|Principal||Rev. Fr. Silvie Antony|
|Classes offered||LKG to Standard XII|
|Medium of language||English|
|Campus size||6 acres (24,000 m2)|
The Infant Jesus Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School is an educational institution affiliated to CISCE based in Kollam city in the south Indian state of Kerala. It was established in 1940 by the Jerome M. Fernandez, Bishop of Kollam. The school is situated in Tangasseri, which was a stronghold of western culture with a historical background of ancient Portuguese, Dutch and English settlements. The school was founded primarily to cater to the education of the Anglo Indian Community, the then predominant community of the region.
It was started by the Anglo Indian community (people who remained when the British left India) to educate their children. It was later opened to the public in and around Kollam.
The Infant Jesus Anglo-Indian Boys School was started to educate the Anglo-Indian boys in the locality; the girls were educated at the Mount Carmel Convent Anglo-Indian Girls High School in Tangasseri itself, opposite to IJHS. Bishop Jerome M Fernandez inaugurated the school, offering a Holy Mass at the nearby Infant Jesus Pro-Cathedral (elevated as Cathedral on December 3, 2005) on January 8, 1940. At first there were 15 students and two staff members, which eventually increased to about 3,500 students and 110 staff members. Mrs. Mary Netto was the first principal.
- Suresh Babu - Olympic athlete
- Alphone Earayil - former DGP of Kerala
- Suresh Gopi - National Award winning actor
- Mukesh - actor
- Mohan Sivanand - Editor of Reader's Digest
- Sunny Varkey - recipient of Padma Shree, the world`s largest provider of private education
The principals of the Infant Jesus school:
- Mrs. Maryan Netto - Headmistress 1940
- Fr. Mathew Fabian - 1941-1955
- Fr. Gracian Fernandez - 1955-1958
- Fr. Stephen S. Gomez - 1958-1963
- Fr. Elias Lopex - 1963–1966
- Miss Mary J. Camoens - 1958, 1966–1967
- Fr. Thomas Thundiyil - 1968-1970
- Fr. A. Varghese - 1974-1975
- Rt. Rev. Msgr. Dr. Ferdinand Kayavil - 1975-2005
- Rev Sr Estelle Vas - 2005-2010
- Rev. Fr. Silvie Antony - from 2010
- "PRODUCING INTELLECTUAL ELITES BY PROVIDING JOYFUL LEARNING EXPERIENCE". 24 July 2015.
- Kerr, Simeon. "School rooms for everyone". Financial Times. 18 June 2013.
- Official website of Infant Jesus]
- IJHS Online alumni discussion and networking forum - since 1998
- Diocise of Quilon