Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo
|Spanish Royal Family|
|HM The King
HM The Queen
Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo (Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos de Borbón y de Grecia; born 20 December 1963 in Madrid) is the first child and elder daughter of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofía of Spain, and third in the line of succession to the Spanish throne. She has a younger sister, Infanta Cristina, and a younger brother, King Felipe VI.
In 1987, Infanta Elena met her future husband while she was studying French literature in Paris.
She married Jaime de Marichalar y Sáenz de Tejada, son of the Count and Countess of Ripalda, on 18 March 1995, in Seville Cathedral, Seville, at which time her father conferred on her the title Duchess of Lugo for life.
The couple has two children:
- Felipe de Marichalar y Borbón, born 17 July 1998
- Victoria de Marichalar y Borbón, born 9 September 2000
On 13 November 2007, it was announced that the Infanta had separated from her husband. In November 2009, the Spanish media said that Infanta Elena and Jaime de Marichalar would divorce, although a rumour to that effect had been circulating for a year before the announcement was made. Their divorce papers were signed on 25 November 2009. The Duchess and Duke of Lugo were divorced in December 2009. On 21 January 2010, the divorce was registered at the Civil Registry of the Spanish Royal Family. It was officially announced on 9 February 2010, that Jaime de Marichalar was no longer permitted to use the ducal title and that he was no longer considered to be an official member of the Spanish Royal Family.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 20 December 1963 – 18 March 1995: Her Royal Highness the Infanta Doña Elena of Spain
- 18 March 1995 – : Her Royal Highness the Infanta Doña Elena, Duchess of Lugo
The Infanta's style and title in full: Her Royal Highness Doña Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos de Borbón y de Grecia, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Lugo.
- National honours
- Spain: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III
- Spain: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic
- Spain: Knight of the Decoration of the Royal Cavalry of Seville
- Spain: Knight of the Decoration of the Royal Cavalry Armory of Zaragoza
- Foreign honours
- Austria: Grand Cross of the Decoration of Honour for Services to the Republic of Austria
- Belgium: Knight Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold
- Chile: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit
- Greece: Grand Cross of the Order of Honour
- Guatemala: Grand Cross of the Order of the Quetzal
- Iceland: Grand Cross of the Order of the Falcon
- Italy: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- Japan: Dame Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown
- Jordan: Knight Grand Cordon of the Order of the Star of Jordan
- Luxembourg: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau
- Nepal: Member First Class of the Order of Tri Shakti Patta
- Netherlands: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Orange-Nassau
- Norway: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St. Olav
- Peru: Grand Cross of the Order of the Sun
- Portugal: Grand Cross of the Order of Christ
- Portugal: Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry
- Barcelona Reporter
- Real Decreto 323/1995
- ABC.es "Zarzuela announces the separation of the Duchess and Duke of Lugo" (Spanish)
- (Spanish) Elmundo.es "Duchess and Duke of Lugo divorce". (Retrieved 17 November 2009)
- (Spanish) Lola Galán. "Is it a State divorce?" Elpais.com (Retrieved 17 November 2009)
- (Spanish) Elperiodico.com Infanta Elena of Spain and her husband sign divorce papers". (Retrieved 26 November 2009)
- Villar, Cote. Guardián de acero para el divorcio real. La otra crónica, no. 55 (6 February 2010). El Mundo
- (Spanish) Elmundo.es "La Infanta Elena ya está divorciada de Marichalar". (accessed 9 February 2010)
- "La infanta Elena recibe el Lazo de Dama de la Real Maestranza en Zaragoza" [The Infanta Elena receives the Collar of Lady of the Royal Cavalry of Zaragoza]. El Periódico de Aragón (in Spanish). 9 May 2014. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Reply to a parliamentary question about the Decoration of Honour" (PDF) (in German). p. 1124. Retrieved November 2012.
- Visita de Estado del Presidente de Austria a España
- See the 4th photo in this serie
- Hemeroteca ABC
- Foro Dinastías, State visit of Chile in Spain, 2001, Group photo
- Visita de Estado del Presidente de Chile a España
- Foro Dinastías, State visit of Stephanopoulos in Spain, 2001, Group Photo
- Visita de Estado del Presidente de Grecia a España
- "At the Spanish Court" blog, State dinner in the Royal Palace, Queen Sofia, Elena & Cristina (1st State dinner for Cristina).
- "La dimensión europea de la política exterior española hacia América latina". Escrito por José Escribano Úbeda-Portugués
- Icelandese Presidency Website , Borbón, Elena de ; prinsessa ; Spánn ; 16 September 1985 ; Stórkross (= Elena of Bourbon, Princess, Spain, 16 September 1985, Grand Cross)
- Italian Presidency, ELENA S.A.R. l'Infanta di Spagna – Cavaliere di Gran Croce Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana
- Forum Príncipes de Asturias, State visit of Japan in Spain, 1994, Group photo
- Hemeroteca ABC
- Forum Príncipes de Asturias, State visit in Spain, 1999, Group photo 1 & Group photo 2
- Foro Dinastías, State visit of Luxembourg in Spain, 2001, Group Photo
- Foro Dinastías State visit of Nepal in Spain, 1983
- Viva Máxima Blog, State visit of Beatrix in Spain in 1985, Group Photo
- Hemeroteca ABC
- Visita de Estado de los Reyes de Noruega a España
- Visita de Estado del Presidente de Perú a España
- (Spanish) Royal Cadency of Spain-Standards. Blog de Heráldica – 1 November 2010. (Retrieved 10 October 2012)
- "Cadency of the Spanish Royal House" (in Spanish). José Juan Carrión Rangel, Blog de heráldica. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Proyecto Galicia : Serie de Heráldica Genealogía y Nobiliaria. T. V (LVIII). La Coruña: Hércules de Ediciones, 2011. ISBN 978-84-92715-31-2. P. 529.
- Her Royal Highness the Infanta Elena (Official profile) (Spanish)
-  Video of her wedding
Infanta Elena, Duchess of LugoBorn: 20 December 1963
|Lines of succession|
|Line of succession to the Spanish throne
Felipe de Marichalar