Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo
|Duchess of Lugo|
Elena in 2011
|Born||20 December 1963|
ORPEA Madrid Loreto , Madrid, Spain
(m. 1995; div. 2010)
|Issue||Felipe de Marichalar y Borbón|
Victoria de Marichalar y Borbón
|Father||Juan Carlos I of Spain|
|Mother||Sophia of Greece and Denmark|
Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo (Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos de Borbón y de Grecia; born 20 December 1963) is the first child and elder daughter of King Juan Carlos I of Spain and Queen Sofía of Spain, and third in the line of succession to the Spanish throne. She has a younger sister, Infanta Cristina, and a younger brother, King Felipe VI.
The Infanta Elena was born on 23 December 1963 at Our Lady of Loreto Hospital, now known as ORPEA Madrid Loreto, in Madrid. She is the eldest daughter of King Juan Carlos I, the former Spanish monarch, and his wife, Queen Sofía (the former Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark). In 1987, Infanta Elena met her future husband while she was studying French literature in Paris.
She married Jaime de Marichalar y Sáenz de Tejada, son of the Count and Countess of Ripalda, on 18 March 1995, in Seville Cathedral, Seville, at which time her father conferred on her the title Duchess of Lugo for life. The couple have two children: Felipe (born 17 July 1998 at Ruber International Hospital in Madrid) and Victoria (born 9 September 2000 at Ruber International Hospital in Madrid).
|Spanish royal family|
On 13 November 2007, it was announced that she had separated from her husband. In November 2009, the Spanish media reported that she and her husband would divorce, although a rumour to that effect had been circulating for a year before the announcement was made. Their divorce papers were signed on 25 November 2009. The Duchess and Duke of Lugo were divorced in December 2009. On 21 January 2010, the divorce was registered at the Civil Registry of the Spanish Royal Family. It was officially announced on 9 February 2010, that Jaime de Marichalar was no longer permitted to use the ducal title and that he was no longer considered to be an official member of the Spanish Royal Family.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 20 December 1963 – 3 March 1995: Her Royal Highness Infanta Doña Elena of Spain
- 3 March 1995 – present: Her Royal Highness Infanta Doña Elena of Spain, Duchess of Lugo
The Infanta's style and title in full: Her Royal Highness Doña Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos de Borbón y de Grecia, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Lugo.
- Grand Star of the Decoration of Honour for Services to the Republic of Austria
- Grand Cordon of the Order of the Star of Jordan
- Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau
- Nepalese Royal Family:
- Member First Class of the Most Illustrious Order of the Three Divine Powers
- Grand Cross of the Order of Christ
- Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry
- Recipient of the 50th Birthday Badge Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf
|Ancestors of Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo|
- "ABC (Madrid) - 21/12/1963, p. 65 - ABC.es Hemeroteca". hemeroteca.abc.es. Retrieved 12 January 2020.
- "Spain's King Juan Carlos' eldest daughter Infanta Elena to divorce". Archived from the original on 21 July 2012. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- "BOE.es - Documento BOE-A-1995-5742". Archived from the original on 16 January 2008. Retrieved 18 January 2017.
- "Nace la primera nieta de los Reyes, que se llamará Victoria Federica". El País. 10 September 2000. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "Zarzuela anuncia el cese temporal de la convivencia matrimonial de los Duques de Lugo". ABC. 13 November 2007. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "La Infanta Elena y Jaime de Marichalar se divorcian de mutuo acuerdo" [Infanta Elena and Jaime de Marichalar agreed to divorce]. El Mundo. 14 November 2009. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "¿Un divorcio de Estado?". El País. 13 September 2008. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "El Periódico - Actualidad y noticias de última hora". Elperiodico.com. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- Villar, Cote. Guardián de acero para el divorcio real. La otra crónica, no. 55 (6 February 2010). El Mundo
- "La Infanta Elena ya está divorciada de Marichalar". El Mundo. 10 February 2010. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- Real Decreto 323/1995, de 3 de marzo, por el que se concede, con carácter vitalicio, la facultad de usar el título de Duquesa de Lugo a Su Alteza Real la Infanta Doña Elena (BOE núm. 54 de 4 de marzo 1995)
- "La infanta Elena regresa a la ciudad donde se casó junto a su padre, el Rey" [Princess Elena returns to the city where she married with her father, the King] (in Spanish). 23 May 2008. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "La infanta Elena recibe el Lazo de Dama de la Real Maestranza en Zaragoza" [The Infanta Elena receives the Collar of Lady of the Royal Cavalry of Zaragoza]. El Periódico de Aragón (in Spanish). 9 May 2014. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "Reply to a parliamentary question about the Decoration of Honour" (PDF) (in German). 23 April 2012. p. 1124.
- "El Rey recibe al presidente de Austria" [The King receives the President of Austria]. El País (in Spanish). 3 June 1997. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- ABC (Madrid) (in Spanish), Hemeroteca, 20 September 1994, p. 23
- "Chile y Espana dejan atros tensiones" [Chile and Spain leave tensions behind] (in Spanish). BBC Mundo. 4 July 2011. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "Don Juan Carlos recuerda que 'no hay espacio para los terroristas en nuestras sociedades libres'" [Don Juan Carlos reminds us that 'there is no room for terrorists in our free societies']. El Mundo (in Spanish). 26 September 2011. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- Úbeda-Portugués, José Escribano (2005). La dimensión europea de la política exterior española hacia América latina: política internacional de los primeros gobiernos socialistas. Editorial Visión Libros. ISBN 9788498212440.
- Icelandese Presidency Website[permanent dead link], Borbón, Elena de ; prinsessa ; Spánn ; 16 September 1985 ; Stórkross (= Elena of Bourbon, Princess, Spain, 16 September 1985, Grand Cross)
- Italian Presidency, ELENA S.A.R. l'Infanta di Spagna – Cavaliere di Gran Croce Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana
- ABC (Madrid), Hemeroteca, 8 October 1994, p. 29
- ABC (Madrid), Hemeroteca, 9 October 1985, p. 8
- ABC (Madrid), ABC Hemeroteca, 25 April 1995, p. 24
- "La Familia Real recibe, de gala, al Presidente de Perú en el Palacio Real de Madrid". 6 July 2004. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- Her Royal Highness the Infanta Elena (Official profile) (in Spanish)
-  Video of her wedding
Infanta Elena, Duchess of LugoBorn: 20 December 1963
|Lines of succession|
| Line of succession to the Spanish throne
Felipe de Marichalar