Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Soria
|Infanta of Spain
Duchess of Soria
2nd Duchess of Hernani
The Duchess and Duke of Soria and Hernani
|Duchess of Hernani|
|Tenure||6 January 1979 – Present|
|Predecessor||Manfredo de Borbón|
|Heir apparent||Alfonso Juan Carlos Zurita y de Borbón|
6 March 1939 |
Rome, Kingdom of Italy
|Spouse||Carlos Zurita (m. 1972)|
|Issue||Alfonso Zurita y de Borbón
María Zurita y de Borbón
|Father||Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona|
|Mother||Princess María Mercedes of Bourbon-Two Sicilies|
|Spanish royal family|
Infanta Margarita of Spain, Duchess of Soria, 2nd Duchess of Hernani, Grandee of Spain (Margarita María de la Victoria Esperanza Jacoba Felicidad Perpetua de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias; born 6 March 1939), is the younger sister of King Juan Carlos I of Spain.
- HE Alfonso Juan Carlos Zurita y de Borbón (b. Madrid, 9 August 1973).
- HE María Sofía Emilia Carmen Zurita y de Borbón (b. Madrid, 16 September 1975).
On 6 January 1979, the Infanta's cousin, Manfredo de Borbón, 1st Duke of Hernani, died and willed his ducal title to be inherited by Margarita. The King granted this request, and on 27 May 1981, she became 2nd Duchess of Hernani with accompanying dignity Grandee of Spain. The peerage title referres to the town Hernani, Spain. The next month, on 23 June 1981, she was also granted a higher dukedom for life by the king, and became Duchess of Soria (referring to the city Soria in Spain).
In 1989, alongside her husband, they created the Fundación Cultural Duques de Soria (The Duke and Duchess of Soria Cultural Foundation). She's also Honorary President of Madrid's delegation of UNICEF and of the Spanish Heart Foundation.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
- 6 March 1939 – 27 May 1981: Her Royal Highness Infanta Margarita of Spain
- 27 May – 23 June 1981: Her Royal Highness Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Hernani
- 23 June 1981 – present: Her Royal Highness Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Soria and Hernani
The Infanta's style and title in full: Her Royal Highness Doña Margarita María de la Victoria Esperanza Jacoba Felicidad Perpetua de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias de Zurita, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Soria, Grande de España, Duchess of Hernani, Grande de España.
- Spain: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III
- Spain: 1, 192nd Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Queen Maria Luisa
- Spain: Knight Grand Cross of the Civil Order of Alfonso X, the Wise
- Greek Royal Family: Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Order of Beneficence
- Portugal: Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry
- Calabrian Royal Family of Two Sicilies: Knight Grand Cross of Justice of the Two Sicilian Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
- Doña Margot. La Infanta más marchosa
- de Badts de Cugnac, Chantal; Coutant de Saisseval, Guy (2002). Le Petit Gotha. Paris: Laballery. pp. 419–420. ISBN 2-9507974-3-1.
- Enache, Nicolas (1999). La Descendance de Marie-Therese de Habsburg, Reine de Hongrie et de Boheme. Paris: ICC. pp. 532–534. ISBN 2-908003-04-X.
- (Spanish)  Universidad de Valladolid, Nota de Prensa 09-01-30 (accessed on 11 December 2009)
- (Spanish) Royal Decree 483/2003 The Duchess of Soria and Hernani member of the Spanish Royal Order of Alfonso X. BOE, Spanish Official Journal. (accessed 2 November 2008)
- Wedding of Juan Carlos of Spain and Sophia of Greece
- Portugal Archived 4 April 2013 at WebCite
- Portugal State visit to Spain
- Membership of the Constantinian Order Archived 5 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
Infanta Margarita, Duchess of SoriaBorn: 6 March 1939
Don. Manfredo de Bourbón, 1st Duke of Hernani, 3rd Duke of Ansola, 2nd Marquess of Atarfe
|Duchess of Hernani
1981 – present
Alfonso Zurita y de Borbón