Infantry (video game)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Developer(s)||Harmless eGames LLC|
|Publisher(s)||Sony Online Entertainment|
|Designer(s)||Player Content Team|
Infantry Online is a multiplayer combat video game. Originally released in the end of the 1990s, the game was taken offline by Sony Online Entertainment and the servers shut down in March 2012. The Infantry community subsequently took control of the game and re-launched it independently at freeinfantry.com.
Infantry Online uses sprite animation graphics to model complex soldier, ground vehicle and space-ship models on typically complex terrains. Players may choose from a list of game zones to enter, each zone having a unique style of gameplay and many offering a wide diversity of weapons, player classes and objectives.
In 1997, the now-defunct development team Virgin Interactive Entertainment (VIE) released the 2D Space Shooter, SubSpace. Members of the SubSpace development formed Harmless Games LLC and developed Infantry during the late 1990s. Brainscan Development Corporation, also known as Brainscan Interactive, became publisher. GameFan, the parent company of Brainscan Interactive, went bankrupt.
On October 5, 2000 Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) announced its acquisition of Infantry. Harmless Games, and its sole game, Infantry, was bought by SOE from Brainscan Interactive for an undisclosed sum. Infantry lead designer Rod Humble, together with other developers, was offered a job with SOE to continue development of the game. Cosmic Rift (CR), meant to compete with the still popular SubSpace, was developed as an offshoot of Infantry.
In May 2002, SOE introduced a monthly $6.95 pay-to-play system for SOE's three small action games: Infantry, CR and Tanarus; however, both Infantry and Cosmic Rift remained free to play with limitations.
On three separate occasions Infantry won the MPOGD game of the month award. In June 2000, October 2000 and most recently January 2009.
- SOE-Pulls-the-Plug-on-Four-Games escapistmagazine.com
- Infantry Online Server "A server emulator for the game Infantry Online, aimed at emulating the latest version 1.55." on sourceforge.net
- history on freeinfantry.com
- Sony.com (archived)
- stationpass.station.sony.com (archived)
- Press Center | Sony Online Entertainment Announces A Diverse Lineup Of Games Available At Newly Revamped Station.Com[permanent dead link]
- Multiplayer Online Games Directory / News / Sony Announces 3 Free Online Multiplayer Games - Find Multiplayer Games Here on mpogd.com (archived)
- Multiplayer Online Games Directory / News / Infantry Goes Free Again Today - Find Multiplayer Games Here on mpogd.com (archived)
- Infantry on station.sony.com (archived)
- Sony_Online_Relaunches_Casual_Focused_Stationcom on gamasutra.com
- sony-shutting-down-4-niche-mmos-this-month on geek.com
- "MPOGD's GAME OF THE MONTH". Multiplayer Online Game Directory. Archived from the original on 28 February 2009. Retrieved 1 June 2013.