Infection and Immunity
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Edited by||Ferric C. Fang|
American Society for Microbiology (United States)
Infection and Immunity is a peer-reviewed medical journal published by the American Society for Microbiology. It focuses on interactions between bacterial, fungal, or parasitic pathogens and their hosts. Areas covered include molecular pathogenesis, cellular microbiology, bacterial infection, host responses and inflammation, fungal and parasitic infections, microbial immunity and vaccines, and molecular genomics. The journal publishes primary research articles, editorials, commentaries, minireviews, and a spotlight report highlighting articles of particular interest selected by the editors. Articles are freely accessible after 6 months (delayed open access). Through its "Global Outreach Program", free online access is available to qualified microbiologists in eligible developing countries.
The journal was established in 1970. Prior to that time, original research articles covering topics in infection and immunity were published in a section of the Journal of Bacteriology. As the size of this section grew, the need for a separate journal publishing peer-reviewed research in this area became apparent. The first editor-in-chief was Erwin Neter (SUNY Buffalo).
The following persons have been editor-in-chief of Infection and Immunity:
- 1970-1979: Erwin Neter
- 1980-1989: Joseph W. Shands, Jr.
- 1990-1999: Vincent A. Fischetti
- 2000-2007: Alison D. O’Brien
- 2007–present: Ferric C. Fang
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2014 impact factor of 3.731, ranking it 23rd out of 78 journals in the category "Infectious Diseases" and 47th out of 148 journals in the category "Immunology".
- Campbell, L.L. “Growth—and more fission.” J. Bacteriol. 1969;100(2):555-556.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Infectious Diseases". 2014 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2015.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Immunology". 2014 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2015.