An infill station (sometimes in-fill station) is a train station built on an existing passenger rail, rapid transit, or light rail line to address demand in a location between existing stations. Such stations take advantage of existing train service and encourage new riders by providing a more convenient location. Many older transit systems have widely spaced stations and can benefit from infill stations. In some cases, new infill station are built at sites where a station had once existed many years ago, for example the Cermak–McCormick Place station on the Chicago Green Line.
Example of infill stations
- Beihu Station, 2012
- Badouzi Station, 2016
- New Taipei City
- Rende Station, 2014
- Wembley Park tube station, 14 October 1893
- Barons Court tube station, 9 October 1905
- Preston Road tube station, 21 May 1908
- Moor Park tube station, 9 May 1910
- Stamford Brook tube station, 1 February 1912
- North Harrow tube station, 22 March 1915
- Northwick Park tube station, 28 June 1923
- South Kenton station, 3 July 1933
- Northwood Hills tube station, 13 November 1933
- Pudding Mill Lane DLR station, 1996
- Langdon Park DLR station, 2007
- Wood Lane tube station, 2008
- Surrey Canal Road station, proposed
- Stations between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Uxbridge (except Ruislip) were open gradually to stimulate development around the area (1900s - 1910s)
- London Midland and Scottish Railway quadrupled the tracks between Barking and Upminster which enabled several stations to be built on the local line (1930s)
- Greater Boston
- Washington metropolitan area
- San Francisco Bay Area
- San Diego
- Greater Salt Lake City
- St. Louis
- East Riverfront station, 1994
- Greater New York
- Freemark, Yonah (2008-09-08). "With Infill Stations, Older Transit Agencies Extend Their Reach". Destination:Freedom. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
The advantages of infill stations result from the fact that people are simply more likely to use transit when they’re closer to it — and from the fact that the older transit systems in many cities have widely spaced stations that are under-serving potentially significant markets.
- "地铁13号线将增设清河站 昌平线南延设8站" (in Chinese). Beijing Evening News. 14 December 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- Rocheleau, Matt (12 November 2012). "MBTA opens new commuter rail station at Talbot Avenue in Dorchester on Fairmount Line". Boston Globe. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- Rocheleau, Matt (25 June 2013). "Commuter rail gives Fairmount a boost". Boston Globe. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- VRE infill station launches a new idea: transit-oriented sprawl, Dan Malouff, Greater Greater Washington, August 5, 2014