|Infiniti Q50 (V37)|
|Also called||Nissan Skyline|
|Assembly||Japan: Kaminokawa, Tochigi (Tochigi Plant)|
China: Dalian (Dongfeng Nissan)
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact executive car (D)|
|Body style||4-door sedan|
|Platform||Nissan FM platform|
|Electric motor||68PS Nissan HM34 high-response motor (hybrid models only)|
|Transmission||6-speed manual (Euro 2.2l diesel models only)|
7-speed 7R01 automatic (all except 4-cyl models)
7-speed 7G-Tronic automatic (4-cyl models only)
|Hybrid drivetrain||Intelligent Dual Clutch Control|
|Battery||1.4 kWh Li-ion|
|Wheelbase||112.2 in (2,850 mm)|
114.1 in (2,898 mm) (Q50L)
|Length||188.3 in (4,783 mm)|
191.0 in (4,851 mm) (Q50L)
|Width||72.6 in (1,844 mm)|
|Height||56.8 in (1,443 mm)|
|Curb weight||3,574–3,870 lb (1,621–1,755 kg)|
The Infiniti Q50 is a compact executive car manufactured by Nissan for its luxury brand, Infiniti. Replacing the G/Q40 sedan, it debuted at the 2013 North American International Auto Show and went on sale in North America in the third quarter 2013 and in Europe in fourth quarter 2013. It is the export model of the Japanese domestic market's V37 Nissan Skyline.
The design of the Q50 continues to follow the designs first shown by the 2009 Infiniti Essence concept and the production 2011 Infiniti M. The Q50 is also the first instance of a hybrid model in Infiniti's entry-level model but was later removed for the 2019 model year.
Q50 sedan (2013–)
The design was based on Infiniti Essence (crescent-cut C-pillar, deep body section, asymmetrical cabin layout, interior finishes) and Infiniti Etherea (headlights, three-dimensional double-arch grille, interior finishes). The production Q50 design was frozen in June 2011, after being designed by Joel Baek under Shiro Nakamura.
The Q50 sedan was unveiled at the 2013 North American International Auto Show, followed by the 2013 Canadian International AutoShow, 2013 Geneva Motor Show (with Hybrid and 2.2d), 2013 Dubai International Motor Show, Auto Guangzhou Motor Show in China (with 2.0-litre (214PS) turbocharged engine from Daimler AG (Mercedes-Benz), and Victoria Harbour in Hong Kong.
Early US and Canada models include 3.7-litre V6 (333PS), 3.5-litre Hybrid (364 PS), each in a choice of rear-wheel drive or Intelligent All-Wheel Drive and in a selection of trim levels, including Sport models.
US models went on sale in August 2013.
Early Canadian models include 3.7-litre V6 (Q50 RWD, Q50 Sport RWD, Q50 Premium AWD, Q50 Premium AWD Navi, Q50 Premium AWD Navi and Deluxe Touring and Tech, Q50 Sport AWD, Q50 Sport AWD Deluxe Touring and Tech) and 3.5-litre Hybrid (Q50 Hybrid Premium RWD, Q50 Hybrid Premium AWD, Q50 Hybrid Sport AWD).
Middle East models was set to go on sale in spring 2014 as 2014 model year vehicles. Early models include 3.7-litre V6 and 3.5-litre Hybrid, both in rear-wheel drive.
Australian models went on sale in February 2014, launching with the 2.2d diesel and 3.5 petrol hybrid models.
Hong Kong models went on sale as 2014 model year vehicles.
2014 Infiniti Q50 Exclusive Designer Edition (2013–)
Two specialty versions of the 2014 Infiniti Q50 sedan were produced in association with Gilt City, one designed by Zac Posen and the other designed by Thom Browne, both American fashion designers. The vehicles went on sale on gilt.com December 13, 2013 for $75,000, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
The Thom Browne 2014 Infiniti Q50 includes a chrome body finish, red, white and blue stripes from the seats to the floor mats and stitching on the steering wheel. It also features a sterling silver ring encircling the gear-shift handle and a luggage set custom designed to fit in the trunk.
Zac Posen's 2014 Infiniti Q50 includes body colour fade from silver in front to charcoal in back, and from matte to shine; red-carpet interior colour, shagreen handle and shagreen stick with leather piping.
The vehicles were unveiled in Infiniti of Manhattan dealership at Hell's Kitchen area.
The two buyers also received a $10,000 Gilt.com shopping credit and a style consultation, a Thom Browne Solid Silver Personal Card Case (Browne version) or a Zac Posen Smartphone Clutch (Posen version).
Q50 Hybrid (2014–2018)
Infiniti's Q50 hybrid vehicle was unveiled at the 2013 Shanghai Auto Show. Power for the Q50 Hybrid comes from the 3.5-litre petrol engine combined with electric motor. Early European models included rear and all-wheel drive forms. Infiniti discontinued the Q50 Hybrid after the 2018 model year.
The Q50L has a 48 mm (1.9 in) longer wheelbase than the regular Q50 to provide more spacious rear legroom. It is powered by a 2.0-litre turbo engine matched to a 7 speed automatic transmission. Trim levels for the Q50L sold in China are comfort, elegant, sport, luxury, and sport luxury.
The vehicle was unveiled at the 2013 Shanghai Motor Show.
Q50 Eau Rouge concept (2014)
Named for the famous corner at Spa-Francorchamps, the Eau Rouge is a Formula One inspired concept car based on the Q50 premium sports sedan, with aerodynamic styling treatments and design elements influenced by Infiniti's partnership with Infiniti Red Bull Racing. Changes include bespoke carbon fibre bodywork (carbon fibre front splitter, rear diffuser and side sill skirts, carbon fibre roof and door mirror casings), 20-inch lightweight forged alloy wheels, a dual-exit exhaust sports system below a large integrated rear spoiler, 20 mm wider wheel arches, red body colour with overlaid tinted clear coat, matching carbon fibre door and center console panes, a high-grip sports steering wheel with Formula One-style paddle-shifters.
Q50 Eau Rouge prototype (2014)
Changes from Q50 Eau Rouge concept included a twin-turbocharged 3799 cc (568 PS (418 kW; 560 hp)/600 N⋅m (443 lb⋅ft)) V6 from the Nissan GT-R and a 7-speed automatic transmission and Intelligent AWD from the Infiniti Q70. The transmission and drivelines were compromises due to the inability of Infiniti to fit the rest of the GT-R's drivetrain into the prototype.
Plans to put the Eau Rouge into production were shelved in January 2015.
Q50 Sound Studio by Bose (2016)
The Q50 Sound Studio by Bose was a limited edition version for the 2016 model year. It was based on Q50 2.0t and 2.2d (Premium or Sport), and included Advanced Staging Technology digital signal processing circuitry, Centerpoint 2 surround sound, AudioPilot2 Noise Compensation Technology, a navigation system and 14 speakers. This was the first time Bose's Advanced Staging Technology has ever been featured in a car.
UK models went on sale in October 2015 as a 2016 model.
|2014–2015||3,696 cc (226 cu in) V6
|333 PS (245 kW; 328 hp)@7000 |
365 N⋅m (269 lb⋅ft)@7000
|2016–2019||1,991 cc (121 cu in) I4 turbo
Mercedes-Benz M 274 DE 20 AL
|211 PS (155 kW; 208 hp)@5500 |
350 N⋅m (258 lb⋅ft)@1250–3500
|2016—||2,997 cc (183 cu in) V6
|304 PS (224 kW; 300 hp)@6400 |
400 N⋅m (295 lb⋅ft)@1600–5200
|3.0t Red Sport 400
3.0t Red Sport 400 AWD
|406 PS (299 kW; 400 hp)@6400 |
475 N⋅m (350 lb⋅ft)@1600–5200
|2014–2018||3,498 cc (213 cu in) V6
|306 PS (225 kW; 302 hp)@6800 |
350 N⋅m (258 lb⋅ft)@5000
|Nissan HM34 (electric motor)||68 PS (50 kW; 67 hp)@1650–2000 |
290 N⋅m (214 lb⋅ft)@1650
|combined||364 PS (268 kW; 359 hp)@? |
546 N⋅m (403 lb⋅ft)@?
|2.2d||2015–2016||2,143 cc (131 cu in) I4 turbo
Mercedes-Benz OM 651 22 LA
|170 PS (125 kW; 168 hp)@3200–4000 |
400 N⋅m (295 lb⋅ft)@1600–2800
|All except 4-cyl models||2014–present||7-speed automatic||7R01|
Performance (vendor specifications)
|Model||Years||Acceleration 0–60 mph(s)||Acceleration 0–100 km/h(s)|
|3.0t Red Sport 400||2016-||4.5||5.1|
|Model||Years||Acceleration 0–60 mph(s)||Acceleration 0–100 km/h(s)|
On 16 October 2014 it was announced that the Infiniti Q50 would be entering the British Touring Car Championship for the 2015 season under the banner of Support our Paras. At that time, PRO Motorsport announced it would enter two cars in the championship driven by Richard Hawken and Derek Palmer Jr., the son of PRO Motorsport Team Principal Derek Palmer Sr., supporting the charity Support Our Paras through racing, and its long-term goal of developing, training and ensuring an injured Paratrooper graduates through the racing ranks to pilot an Infiniti Support Our Paras Racing car.
The production of 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol 4-cylinder developed by Daimler at the Nissan Decherd Powertrain Plant in Franklin County, Tennessee (US) began 26 June 2014. The engine is also used by Daimler's Mercedes-Benz C-Class at Mercedes-Benz U.S. International in Alabama.
Production of European models of Q50 began in 2015.
The Q50 Eau Rouge production was cancelled due to high cost.
As part of Q50 Eau Rouge Prototype launch, the #InfinitiRaceFace campaign was launched 23 September 2014, awarding the grand prize winner the opportunity to attend the 2014 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix race, and also the chance to ride with Sebastian Vettel in the Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge Prototype for a lap in downtown Austin on 29 October 2014.
2016 model year update
Q50, Q50 Red Sport 400 (2016-)
Unveiled at the 2016 Chicago Auto Show (Q50 2.0t, Q50 3.0t, Q50 Red Sport 400), the 2016 Q50 featured several updates, including the introduction of second-generation Direct Adaptive Steering with advanced levels of steering feel and feedback, introduction of Dynamic Digital Suspension, Drive Mode Selector with Personal mode, standard RACK Electronic Power Steering on 3.0t models, revised suspension settings provide an improved balance between confident handling and a more comfortable ride.
The Q50 Red Sport 400 is based on Q50 3.0t (405PS), with sport styled front fascia, sport brakes with 4-piston front and 2-piston rear calipers, sport-tuned Digital Dynamic Suspension, new rack-based Electronic Power Steering or optional Direct Adaptive Steering, leather-appointed sport seats, aluminum-accented pedals, solid magnesium paddle shifters, Exclusive Red Sport 400 brushed-finish exhaust tips, Exclusive Red Sport 400 19-inch sport aluminum-alloy wheels (staggered for RWD models), chrome finished red 'S' exterior sport badging on the trunk and front fenders.
Early models included 2.0t, 2.0t AWD, Hybrid, Hybrid AWD, 3.0t (304/405PS, 304PS models available in Middle East), Hybrid, and 2.2d. US models of Q50 Red Sport 400 went on sale as 2016 model year vehicles, including Q50 Red Sport 400, Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD. In 2019, Infiniti was testing some of its current models at the Spaceport America desert test tracks, such as its Q50 sports sedan and Q60 sports coupe.
Sales by calendar year
|Year||U.S. Sales||Canada Sales|
- Takahashi, Mark (2020-10-20). "INFINITI Q50 Prices, Reviews, and Pictures | Edmunds". Edmunds.com.
- "Q50 Design: An Inheritance of Riches". infinitinews.com. Infiniti.
- "2014 Infiniti Q50 Sedan Makes World Debut at North American International Auto Show". infinitinews.com. Infiniti.
- "2014 Infiniti Q50 Makes National Debut At The 2013 Canadian International Auto Show". infinitinews.com. Infiniti.
- "New Models Spearhead Infiniti at the Geneva Motor Show". infinitinews.com. Infiniti.
- "【ジュネーブモーターショー13】インフィニティ Q50 ディーゼルを初公開". response.jp (in Japanese).
- "Infiniti Q50 to take centre stage at the Dubai International Motor Show 2013". infinitipress.me (Press release).
- Mihalascu, Dan (5 November 2013). "Infiniti Q50 Gets New Mercedes-Sourced 211HP 2.0L Turbo Engine at the Guangzhou Motor Show". carscoops.com. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Infiniti adds 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine to Q50 range". infinitipress.eu. Infiniti. 21 November 2013.
- "2014 Infiniti Q50 sports sedan brings inspired performance to Hong Kong". infinitinews.com. Infiniti.
- Ross, Jeffrey N (14 January 2013). "2014 Infiniti Q50 debuts G-replacing design, new hybrid model". Autoblog.com. AOL. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "2014 Infiniti Q50 at a Glance". nissan-global.com. Nissan.
- "「インフィニティQ50」を発表". nissan-global.com (in Japanese). Nissan.
- "Infiniti Continues Production of G37 Sedan – Will Be Sold Alongside the All-New 2014 Q50 Premium Sedan". infinitinews.com. Infiniti.
- "2014 Infiniti Q50 making Canadian debut at the 2013 Canadian International Auto Show". infinitinews.com. Infiniti.
- "Infiniti Announces $37,500 CDN Introductory Price For All-New 2014 Infiniti Q50 Sports Sedan". infinitinews.com. Infiniti.
- "Infiniti Q50 Geneva Debut: Seductive Design, Agile Performance, Intuitive Technology". infinitinews.com. Infiniti.
- Tsaousis, Andrew (5 March 2013). "Infiniti Q50 Lands in Europe with Merc's 168HP 2.2-liter Diesel". carscoops.com. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge Concept bows again, now with more GT-R". autoblog.com.
- Wang Yin (April 23, 2013). "英菲尼迪2014年国产Q50L/QX50L两款车" [Infiniti's 2014 domestic Q50L / QX50L two cars]. autohome.come.cn (in Chinese). Retrieved January 17, 2020.
- Barry (July 17, 2013). "Infiniti to Produce Q50L and QX50L in the Chinese Market". ChinaCarTimes.com. Archived from the original on August 11, 2017. Retrieved January 17, 2020.CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- "Infiniti Q50 Named 'Car of the Year'". infinitipress.me (Press release). Infiniti.
- "2014 Infiniti Q50: Price And Features For New Premium Sedan Range". themotorreport.com.
- "Gilt.com to Offer Two Exclusive 2014 Infiniti Q50 Luxury Sports Sedans Designed by Thom Browne and Zac Posen". infinitinews.com (Press release). Infiniti.
- "Infiniti Announces Two Vehicles for Production in China". infinitinews.com (Press release). Infiniti.
- "Zapped: Infiniti drops Q50 Hybrid for 2019". infinitinews.com (Press release). Infiniti.
- Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge racing toward Detroit with Red Bull in its veins
- インフィニティ、フォーミュラ1からインスピレーションを得たコンセプトカー「Q50 Eau Rouge（オールージュ）」を2014年北米国際自動車ショーに出展
- Infiniti reveals Formula One-inspired Q50 Eau Rouge in Detroit
- 2016 Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge Prototype
- "Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge prototype to make its first dynamic appearance at the Goodwood Festival of Speed". infinitinews.com (Press release). Infiniti.
- "A festival of Infiniti at Goodwood". infinitinews.com (Press release). Infiniti.
- 日系高性能跑房、Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge於Goodwood展現性能魅力無限
- Turkus, Brandon (28 January 2015). "Nissan backing off IDx, BladeGlider and Infiniti Eau Rouge amid focus shift". Autoblog.com. AOL Inc. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- INFINITI Q50 SOUND STUDIO BY BOSE
- Gauthier, Michael (September 11, 2015). "Infiniti Q50 Sound Studio by Bose special edition announced". motor1.com. Motorsport Network. Retrieved January 17, 2020.
- "Infiniti Q50 Sound Studio By Bose". infinitinews.eu (Press release).
- de:Mercedes-Benz M 270/M 274
- "First view of Mercedes 2.0 turbo in the Infiniti Q50".
- "Infiniti Q50 2,2d Sport vs. Mercedes-Benz C220 BlueTEC 7G-tronic".
- Mason, Dan. "Infiniti support our paras racing enter 2015 BTCC". thecheckeredflag.co.uk. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- "Infiniti and 'Support Our Paras Racing' Enter BTCC in 2015". NewsPress.co.uk (Press release). Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "First Infiniti Q50 Rolls Off The Production Line At Tochigi Plant To Signal Bold New Direction For Model Line-Up". nissan-global.com (Press release). Nissan.
- "Katy Perry to Perform at Infiniti Brand Festival in China". infinitinews.com (Press release). Infiniti.
- "Infiniti Decherd Powertrain Plant Begins Assembly of 2.0L Turbo Engines for Infiniti Q50 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class". nissan-global.com. Nissan. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- "VIDEO REPORT: Unique Sound System on Infiniti Q50 Delivers a Concert in the Car". infinitinews.com (Press release). Infiniti.
- "Bose Presents the Next-Generation Studio on Wheels in the All-New 2014 Infiniti Q50 Sedan". Bose.com (Press release). July 29, 2013. Retrieved January 17, 2020.
- Edelstein, Stephen (September 21, 2015). "Bad news: Infiniti won't build its GT-R-powered Q50 Eau Rouge after all". digitaltrends.com. Digital Trends. Retrieved January 17, 2020.
- "Show your best #InfinitiRaceFace for a chance to win a ride in the Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge Prototype". infinitinews.com (Press release). Infiniti.
- Infiniti shows off the new Q50 engine lineup in Chicago
- "Three European debuts for Infiniti at 2016 Geneva Motor Show". infinitipress.eu (Press release). Infiniti.
- "2016 Infiniti Q50 Sports Saloon: New Engines and Chassis Technologies Delivery Empowering Performance". infinitipress.eu (Press release). Infiniti.
- "Infiniti prices Q50 2.0t from $34,855, hybrid from $47,955". Autoblog.com. March 9, 2016.
- Infiniti announces U.S. pricing for 2016 Q50 Red Sport 400
- Motavalli, Jim (November 6, 2019). "Infiniti's Revival Depends on Sleek New Sedan and SUV Styling—and Electrification". Barrons.com. Dow Jones & Company, Inc. Retrieved January 17, 2020.
- "Infiniti Q50 Sales Figures". Good Car Bad Car. 4 September 2013. Retrieved 20 July 2020.
- 2014 Q50: Canada, USA, Europe, Middle East
- 2014 Q50: Europe
- Q50 Eau Rouge: Europe, Middle East
- 2015 Q50: USA
- 2016 Q50: USA, Europe
|Entry-level luxury car||G35||G25 / G35 / G37 → Q40|
|Coupé||M30||G35C||G37C → Q60||Q60|
|Mid-size luxury car||I30||I30 / I35|
|J30||M45||M35 / M45||M37 / M56 → Q70||Q70 / Q70L|
|Full-size luxury car||Q45||Q45||Q45|
|Subcompact crossover SUV||ESQ|
|Compact crossover SUV||EX35 / EX37 → QX50||QX50|
|Mid-size crossover SUV||JX35 → QX60|
|FX35 / FX45||FX35 / FX37 / FX50 → QX70|
|Full-size SUV||QX56||QX56 → QX80|