Infinity edge pool
||This article possibly contains original research. (November 2010)|
An infinity edge pool (also named negative edge, zero edge, infinity pool, disappearing edge, or vanishing edge pool) is a reflecting or swimming pool where the water flows over one or more edges, producing a visual effect of water with no boundary. Such pools are often designed such that the edge appears to merge with a larger body of water such as the ocean, or with the sky. They are often seen at exotic resorts and exclusive estates, in advertisements, and in other luxurious places.
The infinity pool design concept is said to have originated in France, where one of the first vanishing edge designs was utilized in the "Stag Fountain" at the Palace of Versailles in the early 1600s.
Infinity pools are very expensive and require extensive structural, mechanical, and architectural detailing. Since they are often built in precarious locations, sound structural engineering is paramount. The high costs of these pools are often found in the foundation systems that anchor them to hillsides.
In reality the edge of the pool terminates at a weir that is 1⁄16 to 1⁄4 inch (1.6 to 6.4 mm) lower than the required pool water level. A trough or catch basin is constructed below the weir. The water spills into the catch basin, from where it is then pumped back into the pool.
- Hiller, Jennifer (March 27, 2015). "Ready to take the pool plunge?". San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Leitereg, Neal J. (March 7, 1965). "Chris Bosh drops price on hilltop estate in Pacific Palisades". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Osborne, Claudia (March 4, 2015). "14 Enchanting Infinity Pools That Are Built to Take Your Breath Away". Traveling Sage. Archived from the original on 2015-05-18. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Beale, Lauren (March 23, 2015). "Winklevoss twins list place in Hollywood Hills for lease". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- Cañizares, Ana G. (2006). Infinity Pools. New York: Collins Design. ISBN 0-06-089340-0. OCLC 63171179.
- Infinity Pools: A Special Collection of Dramatic Pools—Built to Inspire. Warminster, Pa.: Manor House Publishing Company. 2011. ISBN 9780983663409. OCLC 746598298.
- Media related to Infinity edge pools at Wikimedia Commons