The journal was established in 1995 as an electronic journal by Thomas D. Wilson (University of Sheffield), who continues to act as publisher. The journal is supported by the University of Lund, Sweden, which provides server space and technical assistance, and by the University of Borås, Sweden, which provides administrative support for the deputy editor.
The journal is produced entirely through voluntary work; there are no subscription or author charges. A recent reader survey revealed that 40% of readers are academic faculty members, 38% "information practitioners", and 22% students and post-graduate researchers.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed by
- Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts
- Library and Information Science Abstracts
- Web of Knowledge
- Social Science Citation Index
- EBSCO Publishing
- Wilson, T.D. (2012). Report on a survey of readers of ‘’Information Research’’. ‘’Information Research’’, 17 (4), paper 541
- "Information Research". 2010 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2011.
- Wilson, T.D. (1998). "Information Research: a case study in the free electronic publication of research", Vine, 28 (2), 10–16.