|Studio album by k.d. lang|
|Released||17 March 1992|
|Recorded||1991 at Vancouver Studios, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Genre||Pop, country, folk, jazz|
|Label||Sire, Warner Bros.|
|k.d. lang chronology|
|Singles from Ingénue|
|Los Angeles Times|||
Ingénue is the second solo album by Canadian singer k.d. lang, released in 1992. It has more of a cabaret flavor than Lang's previous work, and is her most successful album on the pop charts both in her native Canada and internationally.
The samba-inspired "Miss Chatelaine" was ironic; Chatelaine is a Canadian women's magazine which once chose Lang as its "Woman of the Year", and the song's video depicted Lang—who was usually best known for a fairly androgynous appearance—in an exaggeratedly feminine manner, surrounded by bright pastel colours and a profusion of bubbles reminiscent of a performance on the Lawrence Welk show, complete with an accordion in the instrumentation.
The multi-format hit single "Constant Craving" inspired (albeit subconsciously) The Rolling Stones' 1997 single "Anybody Seen My Baby?", from their Bridges to Babylon album, with the result that the Stones gave writing credits on that song to Lang and her collaborator Ben Mink.
All songs written by k.d. lang and Ben Mink, except where noted
- "Save Me" – 4:33
- "The Mind of Love" – 3:48
- "Miss Chatelaine" – 3:49
- "Wash Me Clean" (Lang) – 3:17
- "So It Shall Be" (Lang, Greg Penny) – 4:30
- "Still Thrives This Love" – 3:35
- "Season of Hollow Soul" – 4:58
- "Outside Myself" – 4:57
- "Tears of Love's Recall" – 3:49
- "Constant Craving" – 4:37
- k.d. lang – vocals, electric and acoustic guitars, mandolin, tamboura, tambourine, percussion, Tma
- Ben Mink – electric and acoustic guitars, bass, viola, violin, percussion, beatboxing
- Greg Penny – percussion, beatboxing
- Greg Leisz – steel, pedal steel and lap steel guitar
- Teddy Borowiecki – keyboards, piano, accordion, santur
- David Piltch – acoustic, electric and fretless bass
- Randall Stoll – drums
- Graham Boyle – percussion, tympani, tambourine
- Gary Burton – marimba, vibraphone
- Ingrid Friesen, Martin Laba – pizzicato violin
- John Friesen – cello
- Mryon Schultz – clarinet
- Producers: Greg Penny, Ben Mink, k.d. lang
- Engineers: Greg Penny, Marc Ramaer, Morrie Eaman, Ben Mink
- Assistant engineers: Steve Royea, Louie Teran, Pete Wosniak
- Mixing: Greg Penny, Marc Ramaer
- Mixing assistant: Chris Puram
- Mastering: Chris Bellman
- Programming: Ben Mink, Greg Penny
- String arrangements: Ben Mink
- Art direction: Jeri Heiden
- Design: Jeri Heiden, Greg Ross
- Photography: Glen Erler
|Ingénue||Album of the Year||Nominated|
|Best Engineered Non-classical Album||Nominated|
|"Constant Craving"||Best Female Pop Vocal Performance||Won|
|Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Record of the Year||Nominated|
|1994||"Miss Chatelaine"||Best Female Pop Vocal Performance||Nominated|
- Deming, Mark. Ingénue at AllMusic
- Chris, Heim (1992-03-26). "k.d. lang Ingenue (Sire)". chicagotribune.com. Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- Zacharek, Stephanie (1992-03-20). "Ingenue Review". ew.com. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- Mitchell, Rick (1992-04-05). "k.d. lang gets real with intense "Ingenue'". Houston Chronicle. Archived from the original on April 18, 2013. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Willman, Chris (1992-03-15). "Record Rack: k.d. lang, Sans the Twang". articles.latimes.com. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "KD Lang - Ingenue CD Album". cduniverse.com. CD Universe. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: k.d. lang". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- Rolling Stone review
- Levitin, Daniel. "Constant Creating: k.d. lang"
- Robert Dimery; Michael Lydon (23 March 2010). 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die: Revised and Updated Edition. Universe. ISBN 978-0-7893-2074-2.
- "The 35th Grammy Awards Nominations : General Categories". articles.latimes.com. Los Angeles Times. 1993-01-08. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "australian-charts.com k.d. lang - Ingénue". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 2011-11-04
- "Album Search: k.d. lang" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Highest position and charting weeks of Ingénue by k.d. lang". oricon.co.jp (in Japanese). Oricon Style. Retrieved 2011-10-01.[dead link]
- "charts.org.nz - k.d. lang - Ingénue". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Chart Stats - kd lang - Ingenue". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 2011-10-02.
- AllMusic - Ingénue > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums
- "Complete UK Year-End Album Charts". Archived from the original on 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Billboard.BIZ - Year-end Charts - Billboard 200 - 1993". billboard.biz. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "End Of Year Charts – Top 50 Albums 1993". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Canadian album certifications – k.d. lang – Ingenue". Music Canada.
- "British album certifications – KD LANG – Ingenue". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Ingenue in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – k.d. lang – Ingenue". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
Superunknown by Soundgarden
|New Zealand Chart number-one album
March 27, 1994
Elegant Slumming by M People