Education and personal life
She sporadically held the post of Senior Tutor of History there from 1955 to 1968, was a Lecturer at La Trobe University from 1969 to 1982, and was then a Senior Lecturer in History until 1989. Forced to curtail her academic activities after contracting hepatitis, Clendinnen retained an association with La Trobe University while working on her memoir, Tiger's Eye.
For service to scholarship as a writer and historian addressing issues of fundamental concern to Australian society and for contributing to shaping public debate on conflicting contemporary issues.
Awards and nominations
- 1988 - received the 1988 Herbert Eugene Bolton Memorial Prize for Ambivalent Conquests
- 1999 - winner of the NSW History Awards, Premier's General History Prize for Reading the Holocaust
- 1999 - Reading the Holocaust was judged Best Book of the Year by The New York Times
- 2000 - New South Wales Premier's Literary Awards, Gleebooks Prize for Critical Writing for Reading the Holocaust
- 2002 - received the Adelaide Festival Award for Innovation for Tiger's Eye
- 2003 - received the Premier's History Award for her piece "History Here: a Vier from Outside"
- 2004 - New South Wales Premier's Literary Awards, Douglas Stewart Prize for Non-fiction for Dancing with Strangers
- 2005 - recipient of the ASA (Australian Society of Authors) biennial medal
- 2006 - Appointed an Officer in the Order of Australia for her services as a writer and historian.
- 2007 - received the Philip Hodgins Memorial Medal
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF) . Retrieved on 2008-07-24.
- Burstall, Tim (2012). Memoirs of a Young Bastard. Carlton: Miegunyah Press. p. 320. ISBN 9780522858143.
- "1999 Dr Inga Clendinnen, Boyer Lectures". Radio National. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- "Australia Day 2006 Honours" (RTF DOCUMENT). It's An Honour:Australia Celebrating Australians. Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 2006. Retrieved 2008-07-24.
|chapter-url=missing title (help). Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). New South Wales Legislative Council. 2006-03-01. p. 20807.
- It's an Honour - Officer in the Order of Australia
- Works by or about Inga Clendinnen in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Australian Biography Online
- 1999 Boyer Lectures by Inga Clendinnen
- Clendinnen, Inga in The Encyclopedia of Women and Leadership in Twentieth-Century Australia