|Traded as||NYSE: IR
S&P 500 Component
|Headquarters||Davidson, North Carolina, United States (operational headquarters);
Dublin, Ireland (legal domicile)
Number of locations
|more than 99 manufacturing facilities worldwide|
|Michael Lamach, chairman, president & CEO
Simon Ingersoll, Founder (deceased)
Time management systems
Residential air conditioning
Commercial air conditioning
|Revenue||US$13.3 billion (2015)|
|US$1.4 billion (2015)|
|US$707.1 million (2015)|
|Total assets||US$16.7 billion (2015)|
|Total equity||US$5.8 billion (2015)|
Number of employees
Ingersoll-Rand plc (NYSE: IR) is a global diversified industrial company formed in 1905 by the merger of Ingersoll-Sergeant Drill Company and Rand Drill Company, rival companies that had each been founded in 1871. The company is incorporated in Dublin, Ireland, but has its headquarters in Davidson, North Carolina. Ingersoll-Rand has been a constituent of the S&P 500 Index since 2010, replacing Pactiv Corporation on 16 November 2010 (it had previously been in the S&P 500 Index until it was replaced by Quanta Services in June 2009).
In 1871, Simon Ingersoll (1818–1894) founded Ingersoll Rock Drill Company in New York, and in 1888 it combined with Sergeant Drill to form Ingersoll Sergeant Drill Company. Also in 1871, brothers Addison Rand (1841–1900) and Jasper Rand, Jr. (1837–1909) established Rand Drill Company with its main manufacturing plant in Tarrytown, New York. Rand drills cleared New York's treacherous Hell Gate channel and were used in the construction of water aqueducts for New York City and Washington, D.C., and tunnels in Haverstraw and West Point, New York, and in Weehawken, New Jersey. In 1905 Ingersoll-Sargeant Drill Company merged with the Rand Drill Company to form Ingersoll Rand. Ingersoll Rand has grown largely by acquisition since that time.
In October 2002, shareholders voted to move the company's incorporation to Bermuda to capitalize on the savings on U.S. corporate income taxes on products sold overseas. Moving the company on paper cost only US$27,000 per year with a tax savings estimated at US$40 million. Ingersoll Rand announced in March 2009 its intention to relocate its offices from Bermuda to Ireland, a decision which shareholders approved in a vote.
In July 2004, the Drilling Solutions business was sold to the Swedish company Atlas Copco. This included factories in United States, China, Japan making above ground rotary blasthole and deephole drilling machines. Atlas Copco purchased the company for US$225M. Drilling Solutions was a legacy business from the company's founding.
In May 2007, the company announced it was looking into a sale or spin-off of its Bobcat, utility equipment, and attachments divisions. With this divestiture, Ingersoll Rand was left with the industrial technologies, climate control technologies, and security technologies sectors. This completed the transformation from the diversified machinery label to a diversified industrial company.
In February 2007, Volvo, a Swedish truck and construction equipment manufacturer, announced its agreement to buy the road construction equipment division of Ingersoll-Rand for $1.3 billion in cash to expand its operations in the United States. The road unit manufactures and sells asphalt paving equipment, compaction equipment, milling machines and construction-related material handling equipment and generated net revenues of approximately $850 million for 2006. The sale included manufacturing facilities in Pennsylvania, Germany, China and India, as well as 20 distribution and service facilities in the United States. The business employs approximately 2,000 people worldwide.
On 17 December 2007, Ingersoll Rand announced an offer to purchase HVAC supplier Trane, in a stock and cash transaction. The purchase was approved by Trane's stockholders, and the unit became a part of the climate control technologies business, which is divided into commercial and residential business units, each reporting directly to the chairman. The sale was completed on 5 June 2008.
On 2 December 2013, Ingersoll Rand completed the spinoff of its security hardware sector into a standalone business named Allegion, which maintains well-known commercial and residential security hardware brands such as Schlage, Von Duprin, LCN, Bricard, Interflex, Normbau and CISA.
Ingersoll Rand's corporate headquarters are in Swords, Fingal, County Dublin, Ireland. Its American headquarters are in Davidson, North Carolina. Its European headquarters are in Sint-Stevens-Woluwe, Zaventem, Belgium. Its Asia headquarters are in Tower B of City Center of Shanghai in Shanghai, People's Republic of China.
Brands and subsidiaries
The company's list of brands and subsidiaries include:
- Ameristar - HVAC equipment
- ARO – Fluid products
- ARO Pumps - Fluid transfer products (air-operated double diaphragm pumps, piston pumps, and flow accessories like FRL and pulsation dampeners
- Cameron International Compression Systems - Manufactures compression equipment and provides aftermarket services worldwide
- Club Car – Golf cars and utility vehicles
- GHH RAND – Oil free and contact cooled screw compressors and compressed air solutions
- Ingersoll Rand – Brand of air compressors, tools, and material handling devices
- Nexia Home Intelligence – Home automation and self-monitoring platform based on Z-wave communications
- Officine Meccaniche Industriali srl (OMI) – European provider of compressed-air treatment equipment
- Service First (SF) – HVACR parts
- Thermo King – Transport of refrigeration units
- Trane – HVAC equipment (includes American Standard HVAC products).
- "Contact Us - Ingersoll Rand". Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "Daniel Russell - The Ingersoll Rock Drill". Manufacturer and Builder Magazine. July 1879. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography. 11. New York: James T. White & Company. 1901. p. 265. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "Ingersoll Rand moving from Bermuda to Ireland". Market Watch. 5 March 2009. Retrieved 22 September 2009.
- Ingersoll-Rand to Sell its Bobcat, Utility Equipment and Attachments Business Units for $4.9 Billion, Ingersoll-Rand website, assessed 31 July 2007.
- "Heating and Air Conditioning Services & Systems -Trane". Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- "Ingersoll Rand Completes Acquisition of Trane (NYSE:IR)". Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- "Ingersoll Rand Completes Spinoff of Allegion". Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "Ingersoll-Rand to buy Cameron International unit for $850 million" (Press release). Reuters. 19 August 2014.
- "Contact Us." Ingersoll Rand. Retrieved on 18 January 2011. "Global Headquarters 170/175 Lakeview Drive Airside Business Park Swords, Co. Dublin Ireland." "North America Headquarters 800-E Beaty Street Davidson, NC 28036 USA" "Europe Headquarters Alma Court Building Lenneke Marelaan 6 1932 Sint-Stevens-Woluwe Belgium" "Asia Headquarters 10/F, Tower B, City Center of Shanghai 100 Zun Yi Road Shanghai 200051 People’s Republic of China"
- "Davidson Streets." City of Davidson. Retrieved on 18 January 2011.
- "Home - Nexia Home". Nexia Home. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ingersoll Rand.|