Ingham railway station
|Original company||Thetford and Watton Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Eastern Railway|
|Post-grouping||London and North Eastern Railway|
|1 March 1876||Station opened|
|8 June 1953||Station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Bury St Edmunds line
The railway line between Bury St Edmunds and Thetford was proposed by the Bury St Edmunds and Thetford Railway (B&TR) and authorised on 5 July 1865; but the company had problems in raising the necessary money. After assistance was given by the Thetford and Watton Railway (T&WR), the plan was modified, and instead of running to the main station at Thetford, a curve was built so that T&WR trains from Swaffham could run directly to the Bury St Edmunds line without reversing at Thetford. The B&TR line between Bury St Edmunds and Thetford Bridge was opened on 1 March 1876. The B&TR was purchased by the Great Eastern Railway (GER) in 1878.
Trains on the B&TR were operated by the T&WR until 1879, when operation was taken over by the GER; after this, trains from Bury began to run to Thetford; the east to south curve at Thetford Bridge was not used after 1880. Thetford Bridge was then the last station before Thetford.
The station was closed to passenger traffic on 8 June 1953 although goods traffic lingered on for a few years before withdrawal on 24 June 1960. The station had a single platform with a ticket office and a small goods yard.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Seven Hills Halt||Great Eastern Railway
Thetford-Bury St Edmunds Line
|Bury St Edmunds|
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. London: Guild Publishing. p. 120. CN 8983.
- McCarthy, Colin; McCarthy, David; Cobb, Michael (August 2007). Waller, Peter, ed. Railways of Britain: Norfolk and Suffolk. Hersham: Ian Allan. p. 6. ISBN 978-0-7110-3223-1. 0708/c1.
- Allen, Cecil J. (1956) . The Great Eastern Railway (2nd ed.). Hampton Court: Ian Allan. p. 217.
- Awdry 1990, p. 166
- McCarthy, McCarthy & Cobb 2007, map 26
- Conolly, W. Philip (January 1976). British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas and Gazetteer (5th ed.). Shepperton: Ian Allan. p. 12, section B5. ISBN 0-7110-0320-3. EX/0176.
- British Railways Atlas.1947. p.12
- Heard, Paul; Salt, Vic; Jenkins, Stanley; Summers, Alan; Joby, Richard; Robertson, Alic (April 1998). "Ingham station and Seven Hills Halt". Great Eastern Journal: 34,35.
|This article about a railway station in the East of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|