|Ingleby Arncliffe shown within North Yorkshire|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||214 mi (344 km) south|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Ingleby Arncliffe is a village and civil parish in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated between the A172 and A19 roads, 6.5 miles (10.5 km) north-east from Northallerton and 7 miles (11.3 km) south-east from the small market town of Stokesley, and is on the edge of the North York Moors National Park. The village is conjoined to its smaller neighbour, Ingleby Cross.
According to A Dictionary of British Place Names, Ingleby is derived from the Old Scandinavian "Englar + by", meaning "farmstead or village of the Englishmen", and Arncliffe, Old English "earn + cliff", meaning "eagles' cliff".
Ingleby Arncliffe Grade II* listed Anglican church is dedicated to All Saints. It dates from 1821 but includes 14th-century effigies. The church is situated less than 0.5 miles (0.8 km) south-east from the centre of the village, and 60 yards (55 m) from the church is Arncliffe Hall, a Grade I listed house from 1753–54, designed by John Carr, that replaced a 16th-century house of the Mauleverer family.
At the centre of the village is a Grade II listed water tower, built in 1915 to supply water to the village.
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Mills, A. D. (2003) A Dictionary of British Place Names, p. 256, Oxford University Press, revised edition (2011). ISBN 019960908X
- Historic England. "Church of All Saints, Ingleby Arncliffe (1151374)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- Historic England. "Arncliffe Hall, and Wall Attached to South East, Ingleby Arncliffe (1151375)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- "Ingleby Arncliffe"; British History Online. Retrieved 22 June 2012
- Historic England. "Water Tower to South West of Gabriel Farmhouse, Ingleby Arncliffe (1294509)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- Smith, Mark (2004). "Simpson, David (1745–1799)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 27 November 2007.
Media related to Ingleby Arncliffe at Wikimedia Commons
|This Hambleton, North Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|