Church Farm, Inglesham
Inglesham shown within Wiltshire
|Population||108 (in 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
|UK Parliament||North Swindon|
Inglesham is a small village and civil parish in the borough of Swindon, Wiltshire, England. The village is just off the A361 road about 1 mile (1.6 km) south-west of Lechlade in Gloucestershire. Most of the population lives in the hamlet of Upper Inglesham, which is on the main road about 1.3 miles (2 km) south of the village.
The parish forms the extreme north-east corner of the Borough of Swindon and County of Wiltshire, and is bounded to the west and north by the River Thames (which also forms the county boundary with Gloucestershire), and to the east by the county boundary with Oxfordshire (Berkshire until the 1974 boundary changes). The River Cole forms part of the eastern boundary.
Inglesham's roundhouses are often used by boaters as a navigation point to denote the westernmost point most cabin cruisers and narrowboats can travel along the Thames, as beyond Inglesham the river becomes too clogged with vegetation and too shallow to effectively navigate.
Church Farmhouse is a former watermill that was rebuilt in the 17th century. It is listed Grade II*. Several other houses in the parish are listed Grade II, as are the late 18th century Halfpenny Bridge that carries the A361 across the Thames and a Cotswold stone rubble barn at College Farm built in about 1800.
Inglesham lock is at the eastern end of the Thames and Severn Canal and the Cotswold Canals Trust is currently raising funds to restore its structure and part of the canal.
- "Wiltshire Community History - Census". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- "Inglesham Parish Meeting – Councillors". Council & Democracy – Parish council. Swindon Borough Council. 2004–2006. Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- Pevsner & Cherry, 1975, page 276
- Garside, 2005, page 3
- Hockey, 1974, page 259
- Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844, 7 & 8 Vict. c. 61
- Garside, 2005, page 4
- Garside, 2005, page 5
Media related to Inglesham at Wikimedia Commons
- Garside, Helen (2005). Inglesham Parish (PDF). Swindon: Swindon Borough Council. Retrieved 10 October 2010.
- Hockey, S.F., ed. (1974). The Beaulieu Cartulary. Southampton Records Series. XVII. Southampton: Southampton University Press. p. 259.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget (1975) . The Buildings of England: Wiltshire (revised ed.). Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 276–277. ISBN 0140710264.