|Known for||conceptual art, photographer|
Ingrid Baxter is a conceptual artist, and was co-president with Iain Baxter& of the conceptual art practice and business N.E. Thing Co., which was legally founded in 1966. When N.E. Thing Co. dissolved in 1978, Baxter went on to pursue a Master of Education degree from the University of British Columbia in 1981 and later founded Deep Cove Canoe and Kayak Centre in Deep Cove, North Vancouver which she currently operates.
Baxter was born in Spokane, Washington in 1938. She studied classical piano performance at the University of Idaho in the 1950s, which is where she met Iain Baxter. They married in 1959 and taught together at Washington State University in Pullman, Washington.
N.E. Thing Co.
Iain and Ingrid Baxter worked collaboratively on a number of conceptual artworks under this name. When Ingrid and Iain divorced in 1978, the company also disbanded. When asked about her role in the works produced by N.E. Thing Co. with Iain, Ingrid has responded by saying "Our collaboration was so strong, there was no separation. I can clearly see my influence... in the structure of things, verbal and visual.” Ingrid explains that Iain did the majority of physical labour, but she was present and involved in forming the ideas beyond these artworks.
- Derek Knight, N.E. Thing Co: The Ubiquitous Concept, 7
- Scott, Sarah. "IAIN BAXTER&: Mr. Concept". Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- Derek Knight, N.E. Thing Co: The Ubiquitous Concept, 6
- "''Canadian Art'' Online, Nov. 6, 2008. Accessed May 24, 2011". Canadianart.ca. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- Ruins in Process: Vancouver Art in the Sixties. "Ingrid Baxter". Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- Moos, David (2012). Iain Baxter&: Works 1958-2011. Toronto, Ont.: Art Gallery of Ontario. p. 41. ISBN 0864926464.
- Knight, Derek (1995). N.E. Thing Co.: The Ubiquitous Concept. Oakville, Ont.: Oakville Galleries. p. 5. ISBN 0-921027-56-7.
- "Members since 1880". Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. Archived from the original on 26 May 2011. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- Baxter, Iain and Ingrid Baxter. You Are Now in the Middle of a N.E. Thing Co. Landscape: Works by Iain and Ingrid Baxter, 1965-1971. Vancouver: The Gallery, 1993. ISBN 0-88865-296-8
- Baxter&, Iain, James Patten and Christophe Domino. Passing Through: Iain Baxter& Photographs, 1958-1983. Windsor, Ont.: Art Gallery of Windsor, 2006. ISBN 0-919837-75-1
- Knight, Derek, Iain Baxter and Ingrid Baxter. N.E. Thing Co: The Ubiquitous Concept. Oakville, Ont.: Oakville Galleries, 1995. ISBN 0-921027-56-7
- Mewburn, Charity. Sixteen Hundred Miles North of Denver. Vancouver: Morris and Helen Belkin Art Gallery, 1999. ISBN 0-88865-606-8