Beazley in 2008
17 January 1950
|Died||21 April 2017, aged 67|
|Education||Lushoto Preparatory School|
Guildford County School
|Alma mater||University of St Andrews|
University of London
|Occupation||Art museum curator, author, editor, educationist|
|Known for||Dulwich OnView|
Dulwich Outdoor Gallery
|Parent(s)||Ian and Kari (nee Bonde) Marrable|
Ingrid Beazley FRSA (17 January 1950 – 21 April 2017) was an art museum curator, author, editor, and educationist, based in Dulwich, south London, England. She was a pioneer in promoting street art.
Life and work
Beazley was the daughter of a doctor, Ian Marrable, and his wife Kari. She grew up in Dodoma, Tanganyika (now Tanzania), East Africa. The family moved to England when she was 12 and she was educated at Guildford County School. She studied for a BA in Art History and Psychology at the University of St Andrews, then at the University of London, and later for a Cert Ed at a teacher training college in Gloucestershire.
Beazley worked at a number of schools in Singapore and the United Kingdom. Later she was based in the education department at Dulwich Picture Gallery, where she promoted the use of technology. She established an associated community-run blog-based online magazine, Dulwich OnView, and contributed and edited articles. Beazley was also Chairman of the Friends of Dulwich Picture Gallery from 2005 to 2008 and in total won nine national and international awards for her work at the gallery.
In 2012, the street artist Stik collaborated with Beazley through Dulwich Picture Gallery to recreate Old Master pictures displayed in the gallery using his own street art style on the streets of Dulwich. In 2013, Beazley then established Dulwich Outdoor Gallery, a distributed set of street art in Dulwich by international street artists (including Conor Harrington, MadC, Mear One, Thierry Noir, Nunca, Phlegm, Reka One, Remi Rough and System, and ROA), with works based on traditional Baroque paintings in Dulwich Picture Gallery.
- "In Remembrance of Ingrid Beazley". UK: Dulwich Picture Gallery. 26 April 2017. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- Manwell, Ellie (17 May 2017). "Ingrid Beazley obituary". The Guardian.
- Steviedulwich (22 April 2017). "Ingrid Beazley". www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk. UK: East Dulwich Forum. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- inspriringcity (30 April 2017). "Tribute to Ingrid Beazley the Street Art Pioneer who founded the Dulwich Picture Gallery". Inspiring City. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "Birth of a Street Art Gallery – Interview with Ingrid Beazley Curator of the Dulwich Outdoor Gallery". inspiringcity.com. Inspiring City. 6 July 2013. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Sheppard, Owen (11 May 2017). "Tributes to Dulwich Picture Gallert's 'Inspiring' Ingrid, who took Fine Art to the Streets". Southwark News. UK.
- Green, Brian (24 March 2015). "An Interview with Ingrid Beazley by Brian Green". dulwichsociety.com. The Dulwich Society. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Ingrid Beazley". Speakers: Biography. Museums and the Web. 2010. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- Fusion View (28 January 2007). "Ingrid talking about DiGit PDA Art Trails". YouTube. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Beazley, Ingrid, Reach new audiences, increase numbers of visitors, and become a major part of the local community by using online social networking sites and blogs. In David Bearman and Jennifer Trant (editors), MW2008: Museums and the Web 2008, Montreal, Canada, 9–12 April 2008. Toronto: Archives & Museum Informatics.
- Beazley, Ingrid, Social Media and Museums — A Report from Ingrid in Montreal, Dulwich OnView, 15 April 2008.
- Liu, Alison H.Y., McDaid, Sarah, Bowen, Jonathan P., and Beazley, Ingrid, Dulwich OnView: A Museum Blog Run by the Community for the Community. In David Bearman and Jennifer Trant (editors), MW2010: Museums and the Web 2010, Denver, United States, 13–17 April 2010. Archives & Museum Informatics.
- "Stik Offers Tour Of New Works". kmag.co.uk. UK: Kmag. 13 May 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "The Outdoor Street Gallery of Dulwich". inspiringcity.com. Inspiring City. 8 May 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Conor Harrington x Spraying Bricks Dulwich Video". hookedblog.co.uk. UK: Hooked Bog. 20 August 2013. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- BBC News (15 May 2013). "BBC News: Dulwich Picture House vs Street Artists 2013". YouTube. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Dulwich Street Art – the inside story". dulwichfestival.co.uk. UK: Dulwich Festival. 9–18 May 2013. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Beazley, Ingrid (30 April 2013). Street Art Fine Art: Dulwich Outdoor Gallery. UK: Dulwich Picture Gallery. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Street Art Fine Art: Dulwich Outdoor Gallery. ldngraffiti.co.uk. UK: LDN Graffiti. 30 April 2013. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Parsons, Jeff (18 March 2015). "Take a virtual tour of the world's graffiti from the comfort of your laptop with Google's Street Art project". Daily Mirror. UK.