|Written by||James Graham|
|Date premiered||June 2017|
|Place premiered||Almeida Theatre|
Ink is a 2017 play by James Graham which premiered in London in 2017.
Directed by Rupert Goold, the play began previews at the Almeida Theatre on 17 June 2017, with an official opening night on 27 June. It played a limited run to 5 August. The cast included Bertie Carvel as Rupert Murdoch and Richard Coyle as the editor of The Sun, Larry Lamb. Reviews were generally favorable.
The production transferred to the West End at the Duke of York's Theatre, again led by Carvel and Coyle, officially opening on 19 September 2017 following previews from 9 September. It concluded its run on 6 January 2018.
The play made its Broadway premiere on 2 April 2019 (previews), officially on 24 April 2019, produced by the Manhattan Theatre Club at the Samuel J. Friedman Theatre. Bertie Carvel played Murdoch and Jonny Lee Miller played Larry Lamb. Direction was by Rupert Goold. The play closed on 7 July 2019.
The play takes place in London in 1969. Rupert Murdoch buys a struggling newspaper, The Sun, intending to make the paper a must-read news source and hires editor Larry Lamb.
Awards and nominations
|Evening Standard Awards||Evening Standard Award for Best New Play||Nominated|
|Evening Standard Award for Best Actor||Bertie Carvel||Nominated|
|Evening Standard Award for Best Set Design||Bunny Christie||Nominated|
|Olivier Awards||Oliver Award for Best New Play||Nominated|
|Olivier Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Play||Bertie Carvel||Won|
|Olivier Award for Best Director||Rupert Goold||Nominated|
|Olivier Award for Best Set Design||Bunny Christie||Nominated|
|Tony Awards||Best Play||Nominated|
|Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play||Bertie Carvel||Won|
|Best Direction of a Play||Rupert Goold||Nominated|
|Best Scenic Design of a Play||Bunny Christie||Nominated|
|Best Lighting Design of a Play||Neil Austin||Won|
|Best Sound Design of a Play||Adam Cork||Nominated|
|Outer Critics Circle Awards||Outstanding New Broadway Play||Nominated|
|Outstanding Director of a Play||Rupert Goold||Nominated|
|Outstanding Set Design (Play or Musical)||Bunny Christie||Nominated|
|Outstanding Lighting Design (Play or Musical)||Neil Austin||Nominated|
|Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play||Bertie Carvel||Nominated|
- "Bertie Carvel and Richard Coyle to star in new James Graham play". WhatsOnStage.com. Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- "Did the critics think James Graham's Ink was front page news?". WhatsOnStage.com. Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- "James Graham's Ink to transfer to the West End". WhatsOnStage.com. Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- Hayes, Dade (April 30, 2018). "Rupert Murdoch Story 'Ink' Sets Broadway Bow At Manhattan Theatre Club". Deadline. Retrieved April 30, 2018.
- "Ink". Manhattan Theatre Club. Retrieved 2019-04-06.
- Clement, Olivia (7 July 2019). "Ink Closes on Broadway July 7". Playbill.
- Hewis, Mark. "Evening Standard Theatre Awards shortlist includes Andrew Garfield, Amber Riley and Andrew Scott" whatsonstage.co, 17 November 2017
- Thompson, Jessie. "Evening Standard Theatre Awards 2017: The Ferryman scoops three gongs as Andrew Garfield takes home best actor" Evening Standard, 3 December 2017
- "Olivier Winners 2018" officiallondontheatre.com, retrieved 2 May 2019
- "2019 Tony Award Nominations" broadway.com, 30 April 2019
- Lefkowitz, Andy (2019-04-23). "Hadestown, Tootsie & Oklahoma! Lead 2019 Outer Critics Circle Award Nominations". Broadway.com. Retrieved 2019-04-23.