Inkubus Sukkubus in 2014: Dave Saunders, Candia, Tony McKormack
|Origin||Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England|
|Genres||Gothic rock, Pagan rock|
|Associated acts||Vampire Division, Anchoress|
|Past members||Bob Gardener
Inkubus Sukkubus are a British goth and pagan band, formed in 1989 by Candia Ridley, Tony McKormack, and Adam Henderson, who have been described as one of the most enduringly popular underground Goth bands in the UK.
Inkubus Sukkubus have released albums and toured ever since their formation as Incubus Succubus in 1989.
In 1995, they changed their name to Inkubus Sukkubus, citing numerological reasons, and signed to Resurrection Records. The live line-up changed significantly, adopting the use of a drum machine and sequenced backing, with some additional support by a bodhrán, and Adam Henderson moving back to bass.
In 1996, the band appeared live on UK national television on Channel 4's "The Big Breakfast", performing the track "Heartbeat Of The Earth".
Inkubus Sukkubus were due to play a gig in Mexico City on Beltane (1 May) 2009. When it was cancelled due to the outbreak of swine influenza, the band received national media exposure, particularly through The Sun newspaper.
- Candia McKormack - vocals, lyrics (contralto)
- Tony McKormack, guitar, production, songwriting, some vocals (ex-Screaming Dead, also in Vampire Division)
- Dave Saunders - bass
In 2013, Candia was the model for a painting called "The Sukkubus" by award winning fantasy artist, Larry Elmore for use in his Kickstarter.
- 1990: Beltaine (independent release)
- 1993: Belladonna & Aconite
- 1994: Wytches
- 1995: Heartbeat of the Earth
- 1996: Beltaine (Resurrection Records)
- 1997: Vampyre Erotica
- 1998: Away with the Faeries
- 1999: Wild
- 2001: Supernature
- 2003: The Beast with Two Backs
- 2007: Science & Nature
- 2008: Viva la Muerte
- 2010: The Dark Goddess
- 2011: The Goat
- 2013: Queen of Heaven, Queen of Hell
- 2014: Love Poltergeist
- 2015: Mother Moon
- 1998: Away with the Faeries
- 2004: Wytches and Vampyres: The Best Of (Greatest Hits compilation released by US record label Cleopatra Records)
- 2013: The Anthology (Greatest Hits)
Singles and EPs
- Buckley, Peter (2003). The Rough Guide to Rock. ISBN 1843531054.
Tony McKormick [sic] (guitars/vocals/keyboards/programming) and Candia Ridley (lead vocal) — originally art college students with a dark, yet optimistic musical vision tor the world — are the heart and soul of Inkubus Sukkubus.
- Willin, Melvyn J. (2005). Music, Witchcraft and the Paranormal. p. 260. ISBN 1905226187.
The one possible exception to this heavy metal and satanic link is the group Inkubus Sukkubus which was formed in 1989. The original musicians Tony McCormack [sic] and Candia Ridley found that the words they were setting had a strong pagan bias.
- Scarf, Natasha. The Art Of Gothic. ISBN 9781783052639.
- Link to video clip of the TV show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC2Z_mBY818
- Coles, John (29 April 2009). "Swine flu hits Brit rockers". The Sun. Retrieved 2015-05-29.
- Official website
- Inkubus Sukkubus at ReverbNation
- Media related to Inkubus Sukkubus at Wikimedia Commons