|• Total||3.4 km2 (1.3 sq mi)|
|Elevation||464 m (1,522 ft)|
|• Density||180/km2 (480/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Bolken (SO), Niederönz, Röthenbach bei Herzogenbuchsee, Subingen (SO), Wangenried|
Inkwil is first mentioned in 1262 as Inchwile.
Inkwil has an area, as of 2009[update], of 3.36 km2 (1.30 sq mi). Of this area, 1.65 km2 (0.64 sq mi) or 49.1% is used for agricultural purposes, while 1.21 km2 (0.47 sq mi) or 36.0% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.44 km2 (0.17 sq mi) or 13.1% is settled (buildings or roads), 0.05 km2 (12 acres) or 1.5% is either rivers or lakes and 0.03 km2 (7.4 acres) or 0.9% is unproductive land.
Of the built up area, housing and buildings made up 7.1% and transportation infrastructure made up 5.7%. 35.1% of the total land area is heavily forested. Of the agricultural land, 37.5% is used for growing crops and 8.9% is pastures, while 2.7% is used for orchards or vine crops. All the water in the municipality is in lakes.
It is divided into three sections; Dorf, Vorstatt and Station.
Inkwil has a population (as of 31 December 2017) of 607. As of 2007[update], 4.0% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -2.4%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (98.0%), with Portuguese being second most common ( 0.5%) and Serbo-Croatian being third ( 0.5%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 26.6% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 58.4% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 15%. About 82.2% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Inkwil has an unemployment rate of 1.64%. As of 2005[update], there were 20 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 8 businesses involved in this sector. 69 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 6 businesses in this sector. 20 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 10 businesses in this sector. The historical population is given in the following table:
Heritage sites of national significance
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Inkwil in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data (in German) accessed 25 March 2010
- "STAT-TAB – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit" (online database) (official site) (in German and French). Neuchâtel, Switzerland: Federal Statistical Office - FSO. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2016-01-05 at the Wayback Machine accessed 21-Jul-2009
- UNESCO World Heritage Site - Prehistoric Pile dwellings around the Alps
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Inkwil.|