Inner Distribution Road
|Inner Distribution Road|
Map of Reading Town Centre showing the Inner Distribution Road
Junction with Chatham Street and Friar Street
|Length:||2.4 mi (3.9 km)|
|Existed:||1969 – present|
|Orbital around Reading, Berkshire|
| A329 road
The Inner Distribution Road or IDR is a mostly dual carriageway ring road that encircles the town centre of Reading, Berkshire, England. It forms part of the A329 that runs from Wentworth in Surrey to Thame in Oxfordshire.
Reading Borough Council drew up[when?] plans for the Inner Distribution Road to become an anti-clockwise one-way traffic route to help the traffic keep moving. In 2006 local radio station Reading 107 conducted a survey asking if the road should become a one-way system, over 90% of people thought that there should be a public enquiry before any proposed changes go ahead. Due to the current[when?] economic condition plans have been put on hold and could be downsized.
Development plans created in 2003 to build a deck over the Inner Distribution Road to enable the expansion of Chatham Place were partially completed in 2009. Speaking at an event to mark the completion of the Chatham Place redevelopment in February 2016, Tony Page, Deputy Leader of the Council, said "Part of our vision for this area is to one day cover over the IDR to shield off all of the noise; it is an aspiration that we intend to work on in the future."
- Phillips, Daphne (1980). The Story of Reading. Countryside Books. p. 168. ISBN 0-905392-07-8.
- "Roads". Reading History Trail. Archived from the original on 2 February 2009. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "Local Issues — Reading". The Association of British Drivers. Retrieved 19 April 2011.
- "107FM Reading Inner Distribution Road Survey". Business in Reading. Retrieved 19 April 2011.
- "Reading town centre revamp could be downsized". BBC News. 27 September 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2011.
- "IDR decking plan to be shelved". Reading Post. Archived from the original on 24 September 2010. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Perryman, Francesca (2016-02-19). "Cannon event marks the completion of Chatham Place Redevelopment". getreading. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Inner Distribution Road.|
|This England road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Berkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|