|Directed by||Leo Matsuda|
|Produced by||Sean Lurie|
|Starring||Raymond S. Persi|
|Music by||Ludwig Göransson|
|Edited by||Shannon Stein|
Walt Disney Studios|
Inner Workings is a 3D hand-drawn/computer-animated adventure short film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios. It is directed by Leo Matsuda and produced by Sean Lurie. It premiered in theaters on November 23, 2016 along with Walt Disney Pictures' Moana.
The short follows the inner workings of Paul, a man living in the 1980s at California. Paul's Brain, Heart, Lungs, Stomach and even his Bladder and kidneys all awaken on a typical day for work. Heart expresses desires to try a large breakfast special at the urging of Paul's Stomach, play around on the beach, and try out a new pair of sunglasses at a stand run by an attractive vendor. However, Brain simply wants Paul to get to work on time at Boring, Boring & Glum and avoid possible hazards that Brain thinks will kill Paul along the way. Fed up with Heart's constant sidetracked nature, Brain takes away Heart's control so that Paul can get to work on time. He and dozens of other employees sit at desks and enter data into their computers, moving simultaneously. Brain takes notice of the dreary routine of Paul's life and comes to realize that this cycle will eventually lead to his death as a sad, miserable, lonely man.
During lunchtime, Brain gives control of Paul back to Heart, who sends him off to partake of the activities that Brain had passed up on the way to the office. Paul returns to work afterward, happy and content, and begins to dance to a lively beat whose energy quickly spreads to his coworkers and even to his elderly bosses. During the credits, Paul reveals that he’s performing other fun activities with his bosses and coworkers, marrying the sunglasses vendor and starting a family with her.
In April 2016, it was announced that Walt Disney Animation Studios developed another short film, titled Inner Workings, about the internal struggle between a man's pragmatic, logical side and his free-spirited, adventurous half. Leo Matsuda, a story artist on Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It Ralph, directed the film, which Sean Lurie produced. According to Matsuda, the film was loosely based off biological transparent overlays he read from Encyclopædia Britannica as a child.
- Inside Out (2015)
- Reason and Emotion (1943)
- Osmosis Jones (2001)
- Cranium Command (theme park attraction)
- Cranium (board game)
- Snetiker, Marc (November 18, 2016). "Go inside the human body in Disney's new short film before Moana — exclusive". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved December 4, 2016.
- Wolfe, Jennifer (November 28, 2016). "Disney Unveils New Trailer for 'Inner Workings' Short". Animation World Network. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Evry, Max (April 22, 2016). "Moana Footage & Inner Workings Coming to Annecy Fest". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- Fernandez, Surya (April 22, 2016). "'Moana' sneak peek, debut of new Disney short 'Inner Workings' coming to Annecy Film Festival". Inside the Magic. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- Mayorga, Emilio (April 22, 2016). "Disney to Screen Never-Seen 'Moana' Sequences at Annecy". Variety. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- Truitt, Brian (November 24, 2016). "Short seen with 'Moana' tracks battle of heart vs. mind". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved November 24, 2016.
- "Ludwig Goransson's 'California Loco' from Disney's 'Inner Workings' to Be Released". Film Music Reporter. December 15, 2016. Retrieved December 16, 2016.