Innocent (Our Lady Peace song)
|Single by Our Lady Peace|
|from the album Gravity|
|Released||August 13, 2002|
|Recorded||November 2001 - February 2002|
|Genre||Alternative rock, post-grunge|
|Our Lady Peace singles chronology|
"Innocent" is a song by Canadian alternative rock group Our Lady Peace. It was released in August 2002 as the second single from their fifth studio album Gravity. It was written by lead vocalist Raine Maida.
Background and writing
Lead vocalist Raine Maida stated in 2002 that "Innocent" was one of his favorite songs from Gravity. "I wrote this song over a year ago and I was originally hesitant to play it for the band, but once we got into the studio and began working with Bob we were able to make it an Our Lady Peace song."
According to Raine, the title of the song was originally "Arrogant" and featured different lyrics. Producer Bob Rock made him rewrite most of the songs from Gravity in order to make them more accessible and easier to understand.
Local school children in Hawaii were used to sing background vocals on the chorus of the song.
Before Mike Turner left the band, he recorded the rhythm guitar for this track. It would later be interlaced with Steve Mazur's guitar playing for the final recording, but Turner's style of playing is still recognized.
US Pro CD
Sony-BMG SMI EPC 5099767343920
- "Innocent" - 3:43
US Music Video Promo CD
European Pro CD
Epic LC 00199
- "Innocent" (radio edit) - 3:05
- "Innocent" - 3:42
- "Innocent" (guitars-down-mix) - 3:42
European CD single
Epic EPC 673439 2
- "Innocent" - 3:43
- "Naveed (Live)" - 6:47
- "4 AM (Live)" - 5:01
- "Imagine (Live)"
- "Innocent" (Music Video)
The music video for "Innocent" was filmed on August 31, 2002 at several locations including at a school and a parking lot in Toronto. The music video went to win two MuchMusic Video Awards in 2003, including "Best Video."
|Canadian Singles Chart||2|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||12|
|US Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||20|
|US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||35|
- "[ourladypeace.com news archive]" August 8, 2002. Retrieved March 22, 2010
- Anon (2002). "Bio" Ourladypeace.com at the Internet Archive. Retrieved September 19, 2009
- "Our Lady Peace Frontman Pushed To Sickness Writing 'Gravity' Lyrics". retrieved August 7, 2009
- Anon. "Our Lady Peace - Innocent; interview snippet" - Mix 100 FM. 22 Aug., 2002.Retrieved November 15, 2009
- "Innocent Video Shoot" OurLadyPeace.net 2002. Retrieved February 8, 2010
- "Charts.org.nz – Our Lady Peace – Innocent". Top 40 Singles.