|This article does not cite any sources. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
An insectarium is a live insect zoo, or a museum or exhibit of live insects. Insectariums often display a variety of insects and similar arthropods, such as spiders, beetles, cockroaches, ants, bees, millipedes, centipedes, crickets, grasshoppers, stick insects, scorpions, and mantids. Displays can focus on learning about insects, types of insects, their habitats, why they are important, and the work of entomologists, arachnologists, and other scientists that study terrestrial arthropods and similar animals.
Some insectariums may include museum displays of mounted insects and exhibits about insects.
A butterfly house is a type of insectarium that specializes in live butterflies and moths. In addition, there are seasonal butterfly gardens on display at many zoos, botanical gardens, nature centers, natural history museums, and science museums.
List of insectariums
Public insectariums or insect zoos include:
- Audubon Insectarium, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Bangkok Butterfly Garden and Insectarium, Bangkok, Thailand
- Bayer CropScience Insectarium, Durham, North Carolina
- Henry Doorly Zoo, Butterfly and Insect Pavilion, Omaha, Nebraska
- Gunma Insect World, Kiryū, Gunma, Japan
- Houston Museum of Natural Science, Brown Hall of Entomology, Houston, Texas
- The Insectarium, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Insectarium of Victoria, (Victoria, Australia)
- Insektariumas (Lithuania, Palanga)
- Montreal Insectarium, Montréal
- Monsanto Insectarium at the St. Louis Zoo, St. Louis, Missouri
- O. Orkin Insect Zoo at the National Museum of Natural History, Washington, D.C.
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Ralph M. Parsons Discovery Center and Insect Zoo, Los Angeles, California
- Newfoundland Insectarium, Reidville, Newfoundland
- San Francisco Zoo, InsectZoo, San Francisco, California
- Stratford Butterfly Farm, Stratford-upon-Avon, England
- Detroit Zoo, Wildlife interpretive gallery (aviary, and butterfly garden), Detroit, Michigan
- Esapolis, Il grande insettario della provincia di Padova, Padova, Italy
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Insectariums.|