Type of site
InsideClimate News is a non-profit and non-partisan news organization, focusing on environmental journalism. The publication writes that it "covers clean energy, carbon energy, nuclear energy and environmental science—plus the territory in between where law, policy and public opinion are shaped."
Established in 2007, the Brooklyn, New York-based website quickly became respected by the science and environmental community for its coverage of environmental issues. It won the 2013 Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting for its coverage of the Kalamazoo River oil spill.
The website was co-founded in 2007 by publisher David Sassoon and managing editor Stacy Feldman. Originally called SolveClimate News, it adopted its current name "to counter the perception that it was an environmental advocacy organization." As a non-profit journalism outlet, InsideClimate News's model is similar to that of ProPublica and the Center for Investigative Reporting, which have similarly gained recognition. Like the other two organizations, InsideClimate News publishes its content for free on the Web, collaborates with for-profit news organizations that republish some of the nonprofit's work with credit, and aims "to tackle topics that bigger, better-known news organizations are not equipped or inclined to do."
As of 2013, InsideClimate News had a small staff of seven full-time employees and an annual budget of about $550,000.
Three InsideClimate News reporters—Elizabeth McGowan, Lisa Song, and David Hasemyer—won the 2013 Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting for their series of "rigorous reports" on the Kalamazoo River oil spill in Michigan, in which an Enbridge oil pipeline spill led to the costliest onshore oil spill in American history. The Pulitzer citation praised the reporters for exporting the aftermath of the 2010-2012 oil spill and "flawed regulation of the nation's oil pipelines, focusing on potential ecological dangers posed by diluted bitumen (or 'dilbit'), a controversial form of oil."
In April 2016, InsideClimate News was named a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service, that is, "a distinguished example of meritorious public service by a newspaper or news site" for the 2015 Exxon: The Road Not Taken series, "a probe into a major oil company's decades-long misinformation campaign to muddy the debate over climate change." InsideClimate News was awarded a 2015 Sigma Delta Chi Award for excellence in journalism by the Society of Professional Journalists for the informational graphics in the Exxon: The Road Not Taken series, which "provide a visual timeline of Exxon's views and efforts on climate change since the 1970s, and evidence of its uncertainty campaigns in the 1990s and 2000s." The White House Correspondents Association awarded InsideClimate News a share in the 2016 Edgar A. Poe Award, which annually honors "excellence in news coverage of subjects and events of significant national or regional importance, written with fairness and objectivity," for the Exxon: The Road Not Taken series. In 2017, Marianne Lavelle - an InsideClimate News writer - was honored as a recipient of the SEAL Environmental Journalism Award.
- SolveClimate Goes Inside
- Curtis Brainard, InsideClimate wins a Pulitzer, Columbia Journalism Review (April 16, 2013).
- About InsideClimate News, InsideClimate News. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Brian Stelter, A Pulitzer Prize, but Without a Newsroom to Put It In, New York Times (April 16, 2013).
- The 2013 Pulitzer Prize Winners: National Reporting. The Pulitzer Prizes. With short biographies, reprints of 11 works (InsideClimate News stories June 26 to December 27, 2012), and formal entry for the prize.
- Haughney, Christine (April 16, 2013). Times Wins Four Pulitzers; Brooklyn Nonprofit Is Awarded a Reporting Prize, The New York Times, p. A19.
- "Finalist: InsideClimate News". Columbia University. 2016. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- "InsideClimate News Is a Pulitzer Prize Finalist for Exxon Investigation". InsideClimate News. April 18, 2016. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- "Announcing the 2015 Sigma Delta Chi Award winners". Society of Professional Journalists. April 22, 2016. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- "InsideClimate News Wins SPJ Award for #ExxonKnew Infographics". InsideClimate News. April 22, 2016. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- "White House Correspondents' Association Announces 2016 Journalism Awards". White House Correspondents Association. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
- "White House Correspondents' Association Honors ICN's #ExxonKnew With Poe Award". InsideClimate News. April 25, 2016. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
- "2017 SEAL Environmental Journalism Award Winners - SEAL Awards". SEAL Awards. 2017-09-26. Retrieved 2017-10-13.