Inspector Dawood Ibrahim
|Inspector Dawood Ibrahim|
|Directed by||Sajid Yahiya|
|Written by||Sajid Yahiya|
|Music by||Rahul Raj|
|Edited by||Shameer Muhammed|
Magic Lantern Productions
|Distributed by||Eros International|
Inspector Dawood Ibrahim, also known as IDI, is a 2016 Indian Malayalam action-comedy film directed by Sajid Yahiya. It stars Jayasurya in the lead role with Sshivada, Joju George, and Sunil Sukhada playing supporting roles. The soundtrack and background score are composed by Rahul Raj. Sujith Sarang handles the cinematography, with editing by Shameer Muhammed.
IDI narrates the story of a man who has dreamt of being police officer all his life and eventually works hard to become one. It was released in India on 12 August 2016. The film also had a Hindi dubbed release titled Fauladi Policewala.
The story is about Dawood Ibrahim (Jayasurya) a man from a wealthy family, who chooses to become an honest police officer to give back to his community. He is transferred to a poor town Kollanahalli, at the Kerala-Karnataka border as the inspector of the local police station. He finds the village to be remote and without any major crimes. Soon, he meets Appendix Pappy who swallows every gold or valuables he steals and Vasu (Joju George), Karthavu (Gokulan) and Kaimal (Sudhy Kopa), who are local thieves. Dawood hatches a plan to get a transfer to another police station by telling the trio to steal money from the local bank and rendezvous with him at a secluded place. Meanwhile, an armed robbery occurs at a bank in Mangalore led by Mr. X (Saiju Kurup) who manage to steal money, gold, and other priceless objects, which includes a priceless ruby belonging to the underworld don Akbar Ali (Yog Japee). They plan to escape to Kollanahalli. Vasu's gang manage to steal the money ordered by Dawood, but betray him and take all the money for themselves, thinking that Dawood is trying to look good in the land. But Vasu and his gang accidentally crash into Mr. X's gang. As they try to help the latter, they discover the loot in Mr. X's van, they take the loot and the men. Dawood, with help of Appendix Pappy manages to track and nab all 6 members and discovers about Akbar Ali's involvement. After settling the issue of Vasu's robbery through a compromise, Dawood instigates Akbar to come for him. Akbar then kidnaps Dawood's father, his comrades at the police station and Mr. X's gang. Akbar asks for his ruby to be delivered in return of sparing their lives. Dawood and Vasu's gang deliver the box but its found to be empty. Vasu and his gang help Dawood out and finally Dawood kills Akbar. Dawood confesses that the ruby is lost and it whereabouts is unknown. It's revealed that the ruby was swallowed by Appendix Pappy. On being asked whether he knows where his next posting is, Dawood imagines to be posted in Pakistan facing Dawood Ibrahim, the underworld don.
- Jayasurya as Sub Inspector Dawood Ibrahim
- Sshivada as Nithya Niranjan
- Saiju Kurup as Mr. X
- Joju George as Vasu
- Vijayakumar as Commissioner
- Sunil Sukhada as head constable Kuttan Pilla
- Yog Japee as Don Akbar Ali
- Madhupal as Ambanattil Kasim Haji, Father of Dawood
- Vanitha Krishnachandran as Mother of Dawood
- Shebin Benson as Teen Dawood
- Nebish Benson as Young Dawood
- Tony Joseph as Don Khalid
- Baiju Ezhupunna as Bank Manager
- Molly Kannamaly as Angel Mary
- Hinal Bambhania (Haelyn Shastri) as Sub Inspector Zereena Rauther
- Balaji Sarma
- Gokulan as Karthavu
- Sudhi Koppa as Kaimal aka Kai
- KS Thameem
- Dominic Dom as Pappi
- Vaisakh Velayudhan as Bihari Babu
In early January 2015, actor Sajid Yahiya announced his debut as a director. He planned to direct and write the film along with his cousin Arouz Irfan, but Irfan later stepped to writing only. Asif Ali, who was cast in the lead, announced that he will produce the film under his production banner Adam's World of Imagination, but when he left the project, Ajaz Ibrahim and Arun signed to produce the film under Magic Lantern Productions. Filming scheduled to start on March 2015.
Casting and crew
Sajid kept the lead role of the film in secret. Only hinting that a young actor from the industry will be the lead. In June 2015 the crew announced Asif Ali in the lead, but in March 2016 reports said that Asif Ali will be replaced, afterwards reports confirmed that Jayasurya is the new lead playing Dawood Ibrahim. In March 2016 Sshivada signed to play the female lead. Her role is Nita a bank employee. She also had a significant role in the whole stunts of the film. The film marks the second collaboration of Jayasurya and Sshivada after Su..Su...Sudhi Vathmeekam (2015). Sajid chose Sooraj Harris to play a minor role, he described it as a "stylish role", he was inappropriate for a Malayali look and was dismissed from some films due to his North Indian look but according to him his role in IDI is very perfect and suitable for him. Unni P. Rajan who mostly act in comedy roles signed to do a throughout antagonist role, he assumes the role of a robber in it. Joju George and Sunil Sukhada were signed to play vital roles.
Sajid chose Rahul Raj and Praveen Varma as the film's music composer and costume designer. Stunts for the film was choreographed by Action G who attended with Peter Hein., while Shameer Muhammed was designated for film editing.
Release and reception
Malayalam version (Original)
|1.||"Jagada Jagada"||Rahul Raj, Sajid Yahiya|
|2.||"Sheythaante Cheytha"||Pradeep Palluruthy, Vaikom Vijayalakshmi|
|3.||"IDI Theme"||Rahul Raj, Josely Lonely Doggy|
|4.||"Ee Khalbitha"||Suchith Suresan|
Hindi version (Dubbed)
|1.||"Jagada"||Rahul Raj, Sajid Yahiya|
|2.||"IDI Theme"||Rahul Raj, Josely Lonely Doggy|
- "Actor Sajid Yahiya plans to make a film next".
- "Jayasurya replaces Asif Ali in Inspector Dawood Ibrahim".
- Soman, Deepa (17 January 2016). "Actor Sajid Yahiya plans to make a film next". The Times of India. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- IPE, ANN (10 July 2016). "A big bang 'Inspector Dawood Ibrahim'". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- V.P, Nicy (17 January 2015). "First Look Poster of Sajid Yahiya's Directorial Debut 'Inspector Dawood Ibrahim (IDI)' Released". International Business Times. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Express News Service (18 June 2015). "Asif Ali Launches Production House". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- James, Anu (24 June 2016). "Jayasurya's 'Inspector Dawood Ibrahim' (IDI) to lock horns with his 'Pretham'". International Business Times. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- SNA (31 January 2016). "Shot cut". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- V.P, Nicy (18 June 2015). "Asif Ali to Play Lead in 'Inspector Dawood Ibrahim'". International Business Times. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Soman, Deepa (24 April 2016). "Sshivada to have an action intro in her next". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- George, Anjana (16 March 2016). "Jayasurya to romance Sshivada again in IDI". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Anand, Shilpa Nair (4 August 2016). "Fist, fury and fun". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- IPE, ANN (25 July 2016). "Talent matters: Sooraj Harris". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- IPE, ANN (7 August 2016). "Daddychan made us act at home: Unni". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- James, Anu (13 August 2016). "Jayasurya's 'Inspector Dawood Ibrahim' aka 'IDI' movie review: Live audience response". International Business Times. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- Amand, Shilpa Nair (9 April 2016). "Giving films a perfect fit". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Rahmohan, Sooraj (22 January 2015). "Scenic shots and selfish intentions". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Nair Anand, Shilpa (22 July 2016). "The editor's take". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Suresh, Meera (9 March 2016). "Spot Editor: The Director's Tool". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 17 August 2016.