This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (December 2013)
The Adventures of Superman
Action Comics #442
Elliot S. Maggin
|Full name||William Henderson|
|Team affiliations||Metropolis Police Department|
|Supporting character of||
Inspector Henderson is a police inspector who first appeared in the 1940s radio series The Adventures of Superman, in which he was Superman's police contact. Mainly used as a sounding board in that capacity, the only detail about Henderson's personal life that was revealed was that he had a son named Ray. Inspector Henderson was voiced by Matt Crowley and later by Earl George.
It took a while longer for Inspector Henderson to be introduced in the comics. When he did, he was once again as Superman's main police contact.
In New Adventures of Superboy #6 (June 1980), a younger version of the character was introduced. Detective-Sergeant Henderson visited Smallville in an attempt to convince Superboy to relocate to Metropolis, where the rate and volume of crime was much higher. Henderson was unsuccessful, although the Boy of Steel would relocate to Metropolis upon reaching adulthood and becoming Superman.
Since John Byrne's 1986 Man of Steel miniseries, Inspector Henderson's role has been reduced somewhat, in favor of newer characters Dan Turpin and Maggie Sawyer. Currently, Henderson is Metropolis' police commissioner.
Supergirl (vol. 5) #37 (March 2009) introduces Inspector Mike Henderson, an African-American detective who heads the Metropolis Metacrimes Division, one of two units replacing Sawyer and Turpin's Special Crimes Unit (the other being the Science Police).
In other media
- Inspector Henderson was subsequently introduced in a similar role in the 1950s Adventures of Superman TV series, portrayed by Robert Shayne. He is a member of the Metropolis Police Department and is a friend of the Daily Planet staff where he often works in conjunction with them on crime investigations. In the episode "The Talking Clue," Inspector Henderson has a teenage son named Ray (portrayed by Richard Shackleton).
- Inspector Henderson appeared in the Superman episode "Night of the Living Shadows."
- Inspector Henderson appeared in the 1990s live-action television series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. In most of his appearances, he was portrayed by Richard Belzer, however the role was played by Mel Winkler and Brent Jennings, prior to Belzer's assumption of the role. A recurring character during Lois & Clark's first season, Inspector Henderson did not appear in subsequent seasons.
- Henderson appeared briefly in the Superman: The Animated Series episode "Feeding Time", reprised by Mel Winkler. This version is the police commissioner of the Metropolis Police Department. Henderson is seen telling Clark Kent, Jimmy Olsen, and Lois Lane about how a police officer was attacked by Parasite.
- Henderson is portrayed by Damon Gupton in The CW series Black Lightning. Just like the comics, he has issues with Black Lightning's vigilante work and would reluctantly work with him when it comes to thwarting the specific plots of the 100. In addition, he has become displeased with some of his fellow police officers mingling with criminals like Deputy Police Chief Cayman. In the episode "Black Jesus: The Book of Crucifixion," Inspector Henderson was shocked to find that Deputy Police Chief Caymen had led the arrest on Jefferson Pierce for possession of Greenlight which Cayman secretly planted on the orders of an unseen Vice-Principal Kara Fowdy. After finding out about Detective Glennon's son having raised money that is not paid to the IRS and planning to keep quiet in exchange that Glennon tells him what he needs to know, Henderson has Jefferson released and has Cayman arrested for his corruption. During a news report that mentioned Jefferson's exoneration and the arrest of Cayman and his cohorts, Henderson's press conference is seen as he reveals that he has been sworn in as the new Deputy Chief of Police.
- "Lightning Bolts," Black Lightning #3 (July 1977).
- Action Comics #442. DC Comics.
- Petski, Denise (2017-07-23). "'Black Lightning' Casts James Remar & Damon Gupton As Series Regulars, Watch Trailer – Comic-Con". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-07-24.
- Inspector Henderson (Adventures of Superman version) at DC Comics Wiki
- Inspector Henderson (New Earth version) at DC Comics Wiki
- Inspector Henderson on Superman Wiki