Icon as of Installer 5.0
|Original author(s)||Nullriver (Installer 1-3)|
|Developer(s)||Sammy Guichelaar, Kevin Rippert, MidnightChips, AppTapp Team (Installer 5), RipDev (Installer 4)|
|Website||http://www.nullriver.com, http://ripdev.org, http://infini-dev.org, https://apptapp.me|
Installer.app was a freeware software installer for the iPhone created by Nullriver and later maintained by RipDev, first released in summer 2007 and maintained until summer 2009. Installer allowed users to install third-party applications into the iPhone's Applications directory where native applications are kept. Users could install applications from a variety of sources (over Wi-Fi or UMTS) provided by software developers or directly onto the iPhone without requiring a computer. Users could browse lists of applications inside Installer to find ones they wanted to install. In June 2009, RipDev dropped support for Installer in favor of developing a different package manager and installer named Icy.
iPhone OS 2
When the 2.0 firmware was released, framework changes were present. All of the applications compiled for iPhone OS 1.2 and below were no longer able to run on 2.0. Therefore, Installer 3 wasn't available for 2.0 and the vast majority of users switched to Cydia. At that time, RiPDev (Russian iPhone Development) took over the Installer project and started developing Installer 4.0. When Installer 4.0 was finished, it was added to the QuickPwn software as a payload. Installer 4.0 did not gain as much popularity as Installer 3.0 because most of the jailbreak users had become accustomed to using Cydia.
iOS 4 and 5
In May 2011, a team of developers called Infini-Dev recreated Installer 4 so that it could be run on iOS 4 and above, although the main current repositories are only compatible with Cydia and no longer compatible with Installer. RiPDev has put their old Installer repo back online since Infini-Dev released Installer, and there are also some other repos like Greek-iPhone who offer up to date packages for Installer.
Slava Karpenko announced a project to work on Installer 5. Slava Karpenko revealed to Infini Dev that the project had been dropped by him. Infini-Dev then took over and after a while moved the project under the AppTapp Team name. Now they are currently working on Installer 5 with more developers working on the project, release date TBD.
- "Ripdev: Installer". RipDev. Archived from the original on March 31, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- Jesus Diaz (August 20, 2007). "How To: Install Apps on Your iPhone Easily, No Hacking Skills Required". Gizmodo. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- David Chartier (August 12, 2007). "Installer.app beta for iPhone: Install, update iPhone apps over Wi-Fi". TUAW. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- Joe Seifi (August 20, 2007). "Installer.app". AppSafari. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- "The New Cydia Alternative - Installer 4.0!". iJailbreak | Jailbreak And iOS News. 2011-05-24. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- http://installer5.com Archived 2014-11-01 at the Wayback Machine.
- https://apptapp.me/ - Official Website
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090215004107/http://ripdev.com/installer - RiPDev's Website
- http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/ - NullRiver's Website
- http://www.tropgeek.com/news/Comment+installer+la+beta+3+d%E2%80%99iOS+8+sans+enregistrer+son+iPhone+aupr%C3%A8s+d%E2%80%99Apple+%3F - NullRiver's Article