|Current supplier||Midea Group|
Instant Pot is a Canadian brand of multicookers. The multicookers are electronically controlled, combined pressure cookers and slow cookers. The original cookers are marketed as 6-in-1 or more appliances designed to consolidate the cooking and preparing of food to one device. The brand has since expanded to include non-pressure slow cookers, sous-vide immersion circulators, blenders, air fryers and rice cookers.
In 2009, Robert Wang, Yi Qin, Dongjun Wang, and one other friend, all former employees of Nortel in Ottawa, Canada, started working on designs for the Instant Pot. Robert Wang is credited as the inventor of the Instant Pot. This beginning model operated as a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice or porridge cooker, yogurt maker, sauté/searing pan, steamer, and food warmer. This model was under development for 18 months.
In July 2015 the Instant Pot Smart-60 cooker was recalled, affecting about 1,140 units in Canada and the United States. The defect caused electric current to leak, which could potentially shock the product's user. There were four reported instances of this shock before it was recalled.
In February 2018, five production runs of Instant Pot Gem 65 8-in-1 Multicookers were recalled because they were overheating and subsequently melting due to a manufacturing issue.
|Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus||10-in-1 multi-use programmable pressure cooker|
|Instant Pot Duo||7-in-1 multi-use programmable pressure cooker|
|Instant Pot Duo Nova||7-in-1 multi-use programmable pressure cooker|
|Instant Pot Duo Plus||9-in-1 multi-use programmable pressure cooker|
|Instant Pot Smart Wifi||multi-use programmable pressure cooker with control over WiFi|
|Instant Pot Ultra||10-in-1 multi-use programmable pressure cooker|
|Instant Pot Lux||6-in-1 multi-use programmable pressure cooker|
|Instant Pot Max||15psi pressure cooker|
|Instant Pot Aura||10-in-1 multi-use programmable slow cooker|
|Instant Pot Aura Pro||10-in-1 multi-use programmable slow cooker|
|Instant Pot Gem||8-in-1 multicooker|
|Instant Pot Viva||9-in-1 multi-use programmable pressure cooker|
The Fundamental Cooking Modes for an Instant Pot (ignoring food specific presets such as rice, etc.):
|Low-Pressure||Valve-Closed||Equivalent to stovetop pressure cooker boiling under Medium heat|
|High-Pressure||Valve-Closed||Equivalent to stovetop pressure cooker boiling under High heat|
|Low-Pressure||Valve-Open||Equivalent to stovetop pan boiling on Medium heat with tight lid cover|
|High-Pressure||Valve-Open||Equivalent to stovetop pan boiling on High heat with tight lid cover|
|Slow Cooker||Valve-Open||Equivalent to crockpot on high setting|
|Sear||Lid-Open||Equivalent to stovetop frying pan sear and sauté mode on High Heat|
- "Double Insight Inc. recalls Instant Pot Smart Pressure Cooker". healthycanadians.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 22 December 2017. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Ottawa entrepreneur's Instant Pot has attracted a devoted following of home cooks". Archived from the original on 25 November 2017. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Fired From His Own Startup, This Founder Invented Amazon's Hit Product of 2016". Inc.com. 15 May 2017. Archived from the original on 25 January 2018. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Instant Pot Pressure Cookers Recalled by Double Insight". Consumer Product Safety Commission. 23 July 2016. Archived from the original on 22 December 2017. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- Bennett, Brian (23 February 2018). "An Instant Pot multicooker is melting -- but not the one you think". CNET. Archived from the original on 23 February 2018. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- "Instant Pot". amazon.ca. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "Multicooker Archives". Instant Appliances. Retrieved 26 December 2019.