|Developer||Marco Buratto, Binary Emotions|
|Latest release||IWK/UB 11.3
February 10, 2014
|License||Linux: GNU GPL
Adobe Flash player: Proprietary
Instant WebKiosk is a suite of operating systems based on Debian GNU/Linux and designed for use in web kiosks, multi-user web workstations (cafés, offices, schools, hotels, hospitals or libraries) and digital signage deployments, or even for personal secure and private Internet browsing purposes.
- Instant WebKiosk/UB, Unrestricted Browsing, is a live, browser-only (only browser interface will show up) operating system designed for web kiosks and multi-user web workstations: it is a fully customizable operating system for Internet browsing purposes, which protects privacy; users can change its settings but after a reset the operating system defaults to original values, except for persistent settings. It makes use of Google Chromium as Internet browser and it features Adobe Flash support, PDF, images and videos viewing and office files support; it features internationalization including CJ input methods and printing capabilities.
- Instant WebKiosk/EDS, Easy Digital Signage, is designed for digital signage installations: it can display both a web view (HTML pages) and a multimedia view (slideshow, videos) in a full-screen mode with locked navigation (reboot required to exit). In order to maximize security, after the reset the operating system defaults to original values except for user-defined settings: no other data will persist across reboots (it is a live system). It features HTML5 support (Mozilla Firefox or Google Chromium), Adobe Flash support and an on-screen virtual keyboard for touch devices.
Instant Webkiosk operating systems boot from USB flash devices but settings persistence is assured even for non USB devices, allowing a hard drive installation. They support both wired (with DHCP or static IP) and wireless networks in order to access the Internet - network parameters, as well as any other system configuration, are set via their web interface.
Derived operating systems
- Raspberry Digital Signage is an Instant WebKiosk/EDS derived operating system for the Raspberry Pi micro-computer suitable for digital signage purposes.
- Raspberry Picture Frame Slideshow is an operating system for the Raspberry Pi designed for digital signage or digital photo frames DIY: it shows a full-screen locked slideshow of local and/or remote images.
- Safe Internet for kids is a browser-only content-filtered operating system for parental control and anonymous surfing.
- WebXperience OS, is a fork of Instant WebKiosk/UB tuned up for personal use only. A plus of this fork is that it is possible to save personal files into a hidden partition of the USB key and various ad-hoc optimizations are available. It is a light operating system and so suitable for resuscitating old PCs
- "A Live Distro For Secure Browsing". Muktware. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- "Instant WebKiosk, la distro per il web". EasyWebCom. Retrieved 2012-08-29.
- "Raspberry Digital Signage Home page". Binary Emotions (Marco Buratto). Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "7 Great New Open Source Projects". Linux.com. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- "Instant WebKiosk Raspberry Pi". Adafruit Industries electronics. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Installing Instant WebKiosk/EDS on Raspberry Pi". Wickham Blog. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Raspberry Slideshow Home page". Binary Emotions (Marco Buratto). Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- "La nuova distribuzione per rendere sicura la navigazione internet da parte dei bambini". Lffl. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Un projet basé sur Debian ayant pour but d'offrir un internet plus sûr à vos bambins". La vache libre. Retrieved 2012-10-12.