Instant breakfast typically refers to breakfast food products that are manufactured in a powdered form, which are generally prepared with the addition of milk and then consumed as a drink. Some instant breakfasts are produced and marketed in liquid form. The target market for instant breakfast products includes consumers who tend to be busy, such as students and working adults.
Powdered instant breakfast has been described as a breakfast substitute, used as a quick meal replacement in place of traditional quickly prepared breakfast foods such as bacon and eggs, oatmeal and pancakes.
Carnation-brand Instant Breakfast (renamed Carnation Breakfast Essentials in 2022) was introduced in 1964. It is a powdered instant drink that is manufactured with protein, vitamins and minerals and sugar. It is typically prepared with milk, and is available in different flavors, such as chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. Powdered forms are marketed in individual-serving packets and in cans. Carnation also manufactures prepared bottled instant breakfast drinks in liquid form.
- Brand Positioning: Strategies for Competitive Advantage - Subroto Sengupta. pp. 5-6.
- Consumer Behavior in Action: Real-Life Applications for Marketing Managers - Geoffrey P. Lantos. p. 45.
- "Carnation Breakfast Essentials gets a makeover for a new generation of sipping". 26 January 2022.
- The 1960s - Edward J. Rielly. p. 98.
- Breakfast: A History - Heather Arndt Anderson. p. 23.
- Sheth, Jagdish (2011). Models of Buyer Behavior. Marketing Classics Press. Chapter 13. p. 255. ISBN 1613110561
- Lutz, Carroll; Przytulsk, Karen (2010). Nutrition and Diet Therapy. p. 257. ISBN 0803625235
- Solman, Gregory (March 19, 2008). "Nestle Eyes Dailey for Instant Breakfast". Adweek. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- Instant Oatmeal Increases Satiety and Reduces Energy Intake Compared to a Ready-to-Eat Oat-Based Breakfast Cereal
- Abnehmen Tipps Archived 2021-11-09 at the Wayback Machine (in German)