|Single by Crowded House|
|from the album Recurring Dream|
|Released||10 June 1996 (UK)
February 1997 (Aus)
|Producer(s)||Mitchell Froom, Neil Finn & Tchad Blake|
|Crowded House singles chronology|
"Instinct" is a 1996 song by rock group Crowded House. It was the first single released from the group's greatest hits compilation Recurring Dream in the United Kingdom, and the third and final release in Australia. It was a Top 20 hit in the UK, peaking at #12 and becoming one of their highest-charting hits (next to "Weather with You"). In Australia, "Instinct" peaked at #90 on the ARIA singles chart in March 1997, spending two non-consecutive weeks in the top 100.
The band members reportedly hated the music video for the song which featured two female aliens, and a living golden statue, thus it was omitted from the compilation DVD Dreaming: The Videos.
"Instinct" was released as a two CD set available separately. Disc one in a double case; disc two in a sleeve ready to insert the disc into the case with disc one. "Recurring Dream" originally from the film Tequila Sunrise and later released on Crowded House rarities album Afterglow. "In the Lowlands" originally from Temple of Low Men. "Chocolate Cake" features The Beatles song "Rocky Raccoon" as its intro. All songs written by Neil Finn unless otherwise indicated.
- "Instinct" - 3:09
- "Recurring Dream" (Craig Hooper, Neil Finn, Nick Seymour, Paul Hester) - 3:23
- "Weather with You" (N. Finn, Tim Finn) (live) - 6:00
- "Chocolate Cake" ("Rocky Raccoon": John Lennon, Paul McCartney; "Chocolate Cake": N. Finn, T. Finn) (live) - 7:43
- "Instinct" (alternative mix) - 3:09
- "World Where You Live" (live)
- "In the Lowlands" (live)
- "Into Temptation" (live)
- Bailey, Marck; Comprehensive discography Archived 2006-04-09 at the Wayback Machine. of Crowded House including track listings for all albums and singles. Released 28 March 1995. Retrieved 4 July 2007.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988-2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- Recorded live at Civic Theater, Newcastle, Australia, 20 March 1992.
- Recorded live at Los Angeles, 6 April 1989.
- Recorded live at Sheffield, 21 June 1992.