Sepuluh Nopember Institute of Technology
|Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember|
|Motto||Cerdas Amanah Kreatif (Intelligentia Fides Ingenium)|
|Established||November 10, 1957|
|Rector||Prof. Ir. Joni Hermana, M.Sc.ES., Ph.D.|
|Location||Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia
|Campus||Sukolilo campus, 1,896,000 m2
Manyar campus, 5,176 m2
Cokroaminoto campus, 4,000 m2
|Affiliations||ASAIHL, ASEA UNINET, Association of Universities of Asia and the Pacific|
Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) is an Indonesian public university located in Surabaya, East Java, with strong emphasis on scientific, engineering, and technological education and research. ITS has five faculties containing 27 academic departments which occupy an area of 180 hectares.
ITS was founded at November 10, 1957, as its establishment charter was signed by Soekarno, then President of Republic of Indonesia. Initially, Sepuluh Nopember Technical College had only two departments, Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. On his speech, President Soekarno himself gave the strong emphasis on the Spirit of Sepuluh Nopember, remembering the famous Battle of Surabaya which reached its heat on November 10, 1945 and annually being commemorated as Heroes Day in Indonesia.
In 2001, in response to the vision of Abdurrahman Wahid, then President of Republic of Indonesia, ITS introduced faculty of information technology in which consist of two departments: Informatics Engineering and Information Systems. Today, ITS's educational disciplines have expanded beyond sciences and engineering into fields such as arts and business management.
In addition, two polytechnics (Electronic State Polytechnic, PENS, and Shipbuilding State Polytechnic, PPNS) operate independently on the same area at ITS' main campus in Sukolilo, an area in the vicinity of East Surabaya.
In 1957, ITS only had two departments, Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. Three years later, ITS expanded with the opening of Electronic Engineering, Naval Architecture and Shipbuilding Engineering and Chemical Engineering departments. These departments then changed their status into faculties.
In 1965, ITS again opened two faculties, Architectural Engineering and Faculty of Natural Sciences. So, in 1965, ITS had seven faculties: Faculty of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Naval Architecture and Shipbuilding Engineering, and Faculty of Natural Science.
In 1972, the campus of the Faculty of Civil Engineering was moved into Jl. Manyar 8 Surabaya; the ITS campuses was separated. In the late of 1975, the Faculty of Architectural Engineering and Faculty of Natural Science was moved into Jl. Cokroaminoto 12A, Surabaya.
Today, ITS has three campuses area: Cokroaminoto, Manyar, and Sukolilo. The Sukolilo campus is the biggest areas. The development of campus area geared up at 1977, two decades since the conversation between dr. Angka Nitisastro and Ir. Soedjasmono that defined the fighting spirit of ITS character to become Indonesia's best university.
In the early 1980s reorganization took place in ITS, the former faculties are down-graded into departments and merged into common discipline faculties. Hence the new ITS organization comprises 4 faculties, namely the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Faculty of Industrial Technology, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Planning, and the Faculty of Marine Technology.
In 1988, ITS opened its first polytechnic branch, Shipbuilding Polytechnic of Surabaya and followed by the second, Electronic Engineering Polytechnic of Surabaya.
In 2001, at the suggestion of the Indonesian fourth president, Abdurrahman Wahid, a Faculty of Information Technology was created. It consists of a department of Computer Science and a newly created department of Information System.
In 2010, December 14, President Dr. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono officially signed the establishment of the Robotics Center Building (Gedung Pusat Robotika) in ITS campus, Sukolilo, Surabaya city.
In 2013, ITS, as an institute of technology founded by a medical doctor by the name of dr. Angka Nitisastro, has its first doctoral graduate on medical engineering, Ingrid Nurtanio, lecturer at University of Hassanuddin.
Research and achievements
From Widya Wahana Project, Indonesian first solar-powered ship, to Jalapatih Project, Indonesia first solar-powered car, ITS is well known as a pioneer of cutting-edge researches in Indonesia.
ITS launched Indonesian first solar-powered ship, and competed on world competition, Dong Energy Challenge 2014 in Netherlands.
2012, team of student was awarded Toyota Award at ABU Asia-Pacific Robot Contest (ABU Robocon) in Hong Kong.
Decades ago, 20th century, ITS launched Indonesian first solar-powered car, Widya Wahana. Widya Wahana is the first Indonesian solar-powered car tested on foreign continent, Australia, in world solar car competition.
2012, urban energy-efficient concept car, Sapu Angin, won the Asia Pacific energy-saving car competition titled "Shell Eco Marathon Asia 2012" at Sepang, Malaysia.
In 2013, ITS (Sapu Angin Speed) won Best Rookie Award of ICV at Student Formula Japan.
2013, ITS won Shell Helix Tribology Award (off-track award) on Shell Eco Marathon Asia 2013. At the same year, Spectronic VI from ITS won 1st place on presentation poster and 3rd place on competition at Chem-e-car Competition in Chemeca 2013, Brisbane, Australia.
2014, ITS launched biggest electric bus in Indonesia, funded by PT Telkomsel.
2015, ITS won Shell Eco Marathon (SEM) Asia 2015, Manila, Philippines, on urban concept diesel category.
Faculties and departments
There are five faculties and two autonomous polytechnics in ITS. These polytechnics offer diploma programmes.
- Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science
- Faculty of Industrial Technology
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Engineering Physics
- Department of Industrial Engineering
- Department of Material & Metallurgy Engineering
- Department of Physics Engineering
- Department of Business Management
- Department of Multimedia and Network Engineering
- Faculty of Civil and Planning
- Faculty of Marine Technology
- Faculty of Information Technology
- Electronic Engineering Polytechnic Institute of Surabaya operates independently since 2012
- Surabaya Shipbuilding State Polytechnic operates independently since 2012
ITS has three campuses in Surabaya. Its major campus is located at Sukolilo, where all undergraduate programs are located here along with the postgraduate buildings, administrative building, main library, faculties housing, student community center, football stadium, jogging track, and student dormitory that could accommodate 1200 freshmen.
Smaller campus is located in Manyar district, providing Civil Engineering diploma course.
Third campus is located at Cokroaminoto Street, providing postgraduate Technology Management Magister course.
- Research and Society Service Centre (LPPM)
- Environmental Centre
- Energy Centre
- Earth and Disaster Mitigation Centre
- Marine Centre
- Industrial Centre
- IT & Multimedia Communication Centre
- Continuing Education Unit
- Intellectual Property Rights Unit
- RIMA-ITS (Research Institute For Web and Mobile Application - ITS )
- Laboratory for Housing and Human Settlements
- Robotic Research Centre
ITS is well known for its winning-spirit in sport. For example, 2015, Seaborg ITS's team won first place at College Bowl 2015, a largest football league held by Indonesian Flag Football Association (IFFA). In 2014, Maritime Challenge ITS's team won first place at Atlantic Challenge International (ACI) 2014 in Oar and Sail category, France.
- Student Executive Organization.
- Student Legislative.
- Manarul 'Ilmi Masjid Members.
- PLH Siklus ITS, students environmental organization
- ITS Students Choir
- ITS Foreign Language Society (IFLS)
- ITS Radio
- Pramuka ITS
- "Tiyang Alit" Theatre
- "dr Angka" students cooperative
- Workshop of Entrepreneurship & Technology (WE&T-ITS)
- Loedroek ITS. Loedroek basically is traditional East Java play. However, it is converted to be more modern and contemporary style.
Academic facilities and campus life
Overall, ITS occupies a land area of 187 hectares.
Graduations are conducted at a general functional hall with a capacity of 4,000. Sport facilities can be found on the campus: a stadium and football ground, futsal courts, basketball courts, tennis courts, wall climbing, gymnasium and indoor badminton courts, rafting canal and jogging tracks.
- Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, named as one of 100 Most Influential People in the World in 2009 by TIME Magazine, President of Republic of Indonesia (2004-2014), briefly studied in the Department of Mechanical Engineering before he entered the Indonesian Military Academy (AKABRI)
- Tri Rismaharini, mayor of City of Surabaya, named in the Top 50 Greatest World Leaders list in 2015 by American business magazine Fortune, graduated from Department of Architecture
- Hermawan Kartajaya, named by the United Kingdom’s Chartered Institute of Marketing on the list of 50 Gurus Who Have Shaped the Future of Marketing in 2003
- Gombloh, singer and composer of the legendary Kebyar-Kebyar which was ranked at the second place on the list of Indonesia's Best 150 Songs of All Time by Rolling Stone Indonesia magazine, born in Jombang at July 14, 1948 and died in Surabaya at January 9, 1988, dropped out from Architecture Department
- "QS University Rangking". Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember - QS University Rangking. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- id:Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember[better source needed]]]
- "Prospektus ITS". Sejarah ITS. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- "Ingrid, Doktor Medical Engineering Pertama Teknik Elektro". Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- "Liputan 6". ITS Raih Penghargaan The Spirit of Atlantic Challenge. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- "Antaranews". Tim "maritime challenge" ITS tiba dari Irlandia. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- "Hasil Akhir Pertandingan Abu Robocon 2012".
- "ITS wins energy saving car competition".
- "ITS won Shell Helix Tribology Award".
- "Mobil mini ITS juara di Aurtralia".