This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Polonicus - the highest award of the European Polish diaspora. Standing for building international dialogue, movement of unity and promoting the Poles in Europe and the whole world. The first ceremony of handing the statuette POLONICUS took place on the 2nd of May 2009 during the festival at the cross of three borders- Belgium, Netherlands and Germany, called Dreilaendereck, near Aachen. Since 2010, the prize is handed at the annual ceremony organized on the day of the European Day of Polish diaspora. It occurs in the Hall of Coronation at the town hall of Aachen. The creator is Wiesław Lewicki, the Chairman of the Jury Prize. A longtime activist of the Polish community in Germany and the President of the European Institute of Cultural and Media Polonicus VOG.
- 1 The idea of reward Polonicus
- 2 Polonicus award patronage
- 3 Statue Polonicus
- 4 Awarding 
- 5 Categories 
- 6 Honored
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The idea of reward Polonicus
The idea of the Polonicus awards is a reflection of the old truth - we should respect others, and then they will respect us . Polonicus is designed for the people who builds their social and material status, in the terms of national aspects. Rewarded figures stands for Polish culture and values as well as implementing and promoting them in the Europe. The award honor those whose activities are related to unification and promotion of European integration and building a positive image of Poles all around the world.
Polonicus award patronage
First patrons were the Kongres Polonii Niemieckiej and Konwent Organizacji Polskich in Germany. Since 2012 the prize has become European and now patronage belong to European Union of Polish Communities. Marek Prawda, ambassador in Berlin possesses personal patronage of the two first editions, in the 2011 was passed to the Speaker of the Senate Bogdan Borusewicz.
The statue of a POLONICUS represent brave winged figure, look like dynamic young man. It is made of bronze with a height about 38 cm. The founder of the statue is Wiesław Lewicki, and the builder- Stanisław Szroborz the winner of the competition for the best project in 2008. Firstly the base of the statue was also made from bronze but now it is made from marble. The name of the rewarded institution or person and the year is written on the base. The winners receive also the diploma.
The winner is selected by five-person jury consisting of the president, Polish senator, member of the secretariat and representatives of the Polish community EUWP. The president may establish five additional consulters among Polish organizations in Europe and European offices and institutions. Jury choose one person in each category, and has the right to cancel the award in one or in several categories. The special award is separate from the others categories. Candidates have to be citizens or employees in the European Union, and possess the nationality of one European country. Suggestions of the potential winners needs to be deliver to the jury before the end of the year. Names of the honored are announced at the end of February each year.
In this category Polonicus is dedicate to the creators of culture or individuals who acting on behalf of Polish or European culture. Promote Polish culture, glorified the achievements and Polish values.
The coordination of Poles life
The price distinguish people who has huge positive impact on the Polish diaspora in Germany.
Polish - German dialogue
The award is given to person engaged in the development of cooperation,dialogue and friendship between Polish and German nations.
Special price "Polonicus"
It is handed for lifetime achievement. Candidates in this category may be the person whose activities produce tangible results in any field of economic, cultural, scientific, political or social. Individuals who are distinguished because of their activity, creativity and commitment.
Culture: Tomasz Glanc, composer and musician activist from Montabaour
Polish-German dialogue: Olaf Müller, Head of the Department of Culture City of Aachen
Poles life coordination: Paulina Lemke, member of union "Zgoda", artist from Düsseldorf
Special Award: Steffen Möller , actor, author of the book "Viva Polonia" from Wuppertal
Culture: prof. Zofia Wisłocka musician, conductor and composer
Polish-German dialogue: prof. Władysław Bartoszewski , politician, journalist, social activist
Poles life coordination: Associate professor Eng. Piotr Małoszewski, the chairman of the Christian Centre for the Promotion of Culture, Tradition and Polish Language in Germany.
Special Award: Associate professor Eng. Jerzy Buzek, President of the European Parliament in 2010-2012 
Culture: prof. Karl Dedecius, translator and publisher of Polish literature
Polish-German dialogue: Cornelia Pieper, Minister of Foreign Affairs, responsible for cultural contacts with foreign countries
Poles life coordination: Władyslaw Pisarek, vice-president of the Union of Poles in Germany "Zgoda"
Special award: prof. Norman Davies- historian
Culture: Krystyna Janda, actress 
Polish-German dialogue: dr. Angelica Schwall-Düren, Minister of Federal, European and media affairs in NRW
Poles life coordination: Helena Miziniak, president of the European Union of Polish Communities
Special Award: Excellence prof. Dr. Alfons Nossol, Senior archbishop of Opole 
Culture: prof. Władysław Miodunka, Polish humanist, linguist.
Polish-German dialogue: Basil Kerski, director of the European Solidarity Centre in Gdańsk, chief of the bilingual "Magazine Polish-German Dialog", a political scientist and essayist
Poles life coordination: Maria and Czesław Gołębiewski, the founders of the restaurant "Grand Canyon", promoters of Polish and German culture in Oberhausen
Special Award: Andrzej Wajda, the Polish film director, winner of an Oscar for lifetime achievement in 2000, and numerous European film awards 
European Institute of Cultural and Media Polonicus was established in 2011 and registered in Belgium, placed in Aachen. Institute Polonicus statute based on Christian and humanistic values of European culture. The main objective of the association is to organize and award annual prizes- “Polonicus” and organizing events. The purpose is to promote European integration and the promotion of Polish culture through projects and events like for example, workshops, symposia, concerts, trips, cultural events. The Institute provide cooperation between Polish citizen of the EU regions.
- "WiesĹ‚aw Lewicki | Portal TOL Tutorial On-Line". Articles.portal-tol.com. 2011-06-08. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Instytut". Institut-polonicus.eu. 2013-01-20. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- 15.04.2009 (2009-04-15). "IMPREZA: Festyn z okazji Święta Polonii w Drielandenpunt (Holandia) – 02.05.2009 « POLONIA.NL – Portal Polonii Holenderskiej". Polonia.nl. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "POLONICUS – nagroda Polonii z szacunku do siebie". Archiwum.po-prostu.de. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Jerzy Buzek - Buzek otrzyma Nagrodę "Polonicus" w Akwizgranie". Europarl.europa.eu. 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Polonicus-Preis für Brücken nach Polen". Aachener-nachrichten.de. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Veranstaltungsdetails · Internationaler Karlspreis zu Aachen". Karlspreis.de. Archived from the original on 2013-06-24. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-03. Retrieved 2013-06-09. http://www.dw.de/polonicus-czwarta-edycja-nagrody-polonii-europejskiej/a-15932803 http://www.portalpoint.info/pl,wiadomosci,4,3700.html.
- "POLONICUS 2012". Krystynajanda.pl. 2012-05-08. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Biskup Nossol nagrodzony przez niemiecką Polonię - Radio Opole". Radio.opole.pl. Archived from the original on 2013-06-24. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Veranstaltungsdetails · Internationaler Karlspreis zu Aachen". Karlspreis.de. 2013-04-27. Retrieved 2013-06-23.[permanent dead link]
- "Stadtgeschehen Aachen". Aktuell.meinestadt.de. 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Prof. Władysław Miodunka z UJ laureatem nagrody "Polonicus 2013" | Aktualności o polskiej nauce, badaniach, wydarzeniach, polskich uczelniach i instytutach badawczych". Naukawpolsce.pap.pl. 2013-01-31. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- FilmkunstTV (2013-03-01). "Andrzej Wajda kommt nach Aachen - Meldungen". klenkes.de. Retrieved 2013-06-23.