Institute for the Investigation of Communist Crimes in Romania
The Institute for the Investigation of Communist Crimes in Romania (Institutul de Investigare a Crimelor Comunismului în România) is a government-sponsored organization whose mission is to investigate the crimes and abuses conducted while Romania was under communist rule, prior to December 1989. Following the Romanian Revolution of 1989, Romania’s Communist government was overthrown and a democratic president was elected in May 1990.
The main objectives of the Institute are the gathering of data, documents and testimonies regarding all oppressive actions exerted by the system, and notifying the state’s criminal investigation departments. In addition, the Institute informs the public of the crimes, abuses and instigations to crime, conducted in the name of ‘class struggle’ by the powerful people within the communist system. The Institute is led by Marius Oprea, president, a University of Bucharest graduate with a PhD in history who is an archeologist and historian.
In December 2009, France 24, the French-based news agency, reported on the Institute’s progress in documenting the communist crimes in Romania, including finding the buried remains of some of the many thousands of people alleged to have been murdered.
The Institute has cooperation agreements with the Institute of National Remembrance and the Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes, government agencies of Poland and the Czech Republic respectively tasked with the investigation of Nazi and Communist crimes.
- http://www.crimelecomunismului.ro/en/about_iiccr/institute/ The Institute for the Investigation of Communist Crimes in Romania website, Dec 2009
- http://www.iiccr.ro/en/about_iiccr/organizational_structure/board/marius_oprea Institute website, Marius Oprea, Dec 2009
- "Czech Prime minister Petr Nečas: The years of totalitarianism were years of struggle for liberty". Platform of European Memory and Conscience. 14 October 2011. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6190931.stm BBC News, Romania exposes communist crimes, Dec 18 2006
- http://www.france24.com/en/20091218-romania-communist-crimes-securitate-ceausescu-regime-secret-state-police-victims France 24, Hunting for romanias communist crimes, Dec 18 2009
- http://www.crimelecomunismului.ro/en/partners/international_cooperation Institute website, partners, Dec 2009