Institute of Advanced Study (Durham)
The Institute of Advanced Study (IAS) is a research centre of Durham University. The IAS has been set up to bring researchers from across the world to collaborate on cutting edge research. The IAS was set up to mark Durham's 175th anniversary and is housed in the Grade I listed Bishop Cosins Hall on Palace Green, Durham. The Institute accepted its first fellows in January 2006.
Facilities and Themes
Fellows of the IAS are able to access all the facilities of the University and work in one of the University's 27 departments alongside existing scholars. Fellows are also involved with the colleges by giving and attending various lectures, seminars and formal dinners within the IAS, colleges and departments. The fellows have a dedicated office building, access to the four university libraries, two museums and botanic garden as well as the university's laboratories and research centres.
The research of the IAS is based around research themes across the Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities. The theme of the IAS's research is published a year in advance. A scoping exercise in late 2005 set out the core themes across the three academic strands with the inaugural theme in 2006-2007 being the "Legacy of Darwin". Subsequent research themes have been Modelling in 2007-08, 'Being Human' in 2008-09, Water in 2009-2010, Futures in 2010-2011, Futures II in 2011-2012, Time in 2012-2013, and Light in 2013-2014.
The IAS offers fellowships to UK and international scholars. The Fellowships will each last three months, with ten awards each semester. The first semester runs from January to March and the second from October to December.
Accommodation for the fellows will be provide by some of the university's colleges. In addition to the fellowships offered by the IAS fellowships of approx. a term are offered by the colleges, with the potential to become an IAS affiliate:
- Collingwood College - Collingwood College Fellowships.
- Grey College - Sidney Holgate Research Fellowship, Alan Richards and Isobel Holgate Mathematics Fellowship, Glaxo Smith Kline Fellowship, Dickinson Dees Fellowship, Best Fellowship in Public Understanding of Science and the Winifred Jean Stubbs Fellowship.
- Hatfield College - Visiting Research Fellowship.
- St Aidan's College - St Aidan's College Fellowship
- St Chad's College - The Traidcraft Fellowship, Senior Research Fellowships, Durham Cathedral Artist in Residence and The Alan Richardson .Fellowship
- St John’s College - St John's College Fellowship.
- St Mary’s College
- Trevelyan College - The Trevelyan Fellowship and the Sir William Luce Fellowship in Middle Eastern Studies.
- University College - Leonard Slater Fellowship and the Pemberton Fellowship.
- Van Mildert College - Arthur Prowse Fellowship & the Arnold Bradshaw Fellowship.
- Prof Jane Buikstra 2006/7
- Prof Michael Ralph Fellows 2006/7
- Prof James Moore 2006/7
- Prof John Hedley Brooke 2006/7
- Prof Nancy Cartwright 2007/8
- Prof Donald A. MacKenzie 2007/8
- Prof David C. Stark 2007/8
- Prof Adi Ophir 2008/09
The IAS is run by four directors nominally appointed by the Vice-Chancellor of the university. The directors are responsible for the academic calendar and research events of the IAS. Three of the directors are responsible for maintaining links with the IAS and are thus named after the relevant faculty. The present directors are:
- Professor Veronica Strang - Executive Director
- Professor Barbara Graziosi - Director for the Arts and Humanities
- Professor Rob Barton - Director for the Social Sciences
- Professor Martin Ward - Director for the Sciences
The advisory council works alongside the directors and meets once a year to develop the academic calendar of the IAS and aid in its promotion through members acting as ambassadors to the IAS and advising on new research themes. The present members of the council are
- Professor Tom McLeish (Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research - Durham University)
- Sir Thomas Allen (Chancellor - Durham University)
- Professor Chris Higgins (Vice-Chancellor - Durham University)
- Professor Dame Gillian Beer
- Professor Gillian Clark
- Professor Dame Marilyn Strathern
- Dr Philip Ball
- Sir Andrew Motion
- Mr Jonathon Porritt
- Professor Marc Stears
- Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study
- Institute for Advanced Study
- Some Institutes for Advanced Study
- Institute for Advanced Study, Berlin
- Institute of Advanced Study : College Fellowships - Durham University
- Grey College : Fellowships - Durham University
- College Fellowships
- Van Mildert College : Fellowships - Durham University