Institute of Leadership and Management
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Non- Profit Organisation|
|Products||professional membership, research, publications|
Membership of the Institute of Leadership & Management is open to leaders and managers of all levels, including those with no practical experience. There is trial membership — for individuals taking ILM qualifications. Some organisations that are involved with personal development, such as The Scout Association also highlight the availability of membership.
Five grades of membership entitle the member to use post-nominal letters - Affiliate (AInstLM), Associate Member (AMInstLM), Member (MInstLM), Fellow (FInstLM) and Companion (CInstLM). The highest grade is Companionship — for senior executives selected by the Institute. Membership is validated by an official membership certificate and membership card.
Members are offered access a range of services to help with their Continuous professional development (CPD), although this isn't mandatory, including access to e-books, electronic learning materials, and paid-for events.
The Institute of Leadership & Management carries out research into leadership and management in practice, providing insights for managers and leaders and publishing findings in white papers, research reports and journals. The institute takes a collaborative approach, preferring to work with like-minded individuals and organisations in defining research topics and undertaking research activity.
Training and Qualifications
The Institute of Leadership & Management offers a wide range of learning resources to support the continuous professional development of leaders and managers in a variety of organisations and settings.
These ILM qualifications are practically based, designed to complement the individual’s role at work. Aligned to the UK’s Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF), ILM qualifications begin at level 2, such as the ILM Award in Team Leading, and continue up to level 7, such as the ILM Diploma in Strategic Leadership and Executive Management. ILM also offers NVQs; these include the Level 5 NVQ in Management. Other specialist qualifications cover skills in volunteer management, business start-up, coaching, and personnel management. All ILM qualifications have been accredited by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual).
Leading Edge is the Institute's quarterly in-house magazine, looking at the latest leadership and management issues. Available in hard copy and online, it is distributed to members as part of a range of benefits and learning resources.In 2016, the title was changed from Edge to Leading Edge, as part of the rebranding of the Institute.
The Institute of Supervision and Management (ISM) was founded in 1947 by J.K. Evans M.B.E. The Institute of Leadership and Management was formed in November 2001 through the merger of the Institute of Supervision and Management (ISM) and the National Examining Board for Supervision and Management (NEBS).
The Institute is a charity registered in England, Wales and Scotland, with its head office in Tamworth, Staffordshire and members in countries across the world.
- "Institute for Leadership & Management". Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Member resources: Institute of Leadership and Management". The Scout Association. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Studying: The Exeter Award: Institute of Leadership and Management qualification". University of Exeter. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) qualifications available at Somerset College". Somerset College. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "NLIAH is an approved Institute for Leadership and Management (ILM) Centre". The National Leadership and Innovation Agency for Healthcare (NLIAH). 23 April 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "NHS Careers: Explore by career: Management: Training in management". www.nhscareers.nhs.uk. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "The Register of Regulated Qualifications: ILM (Institute of Leadership & Management)". Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Institute of Supervision & Management gives backing to local management development programme". HR Zone Community Voice. 12 July 2000. Retrieved 21 September 2015.