Institute of Rural Management Anand
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
India contact= 02692 260391
|Campus||Urban, 60 acres (0.24 km2)|
Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA Anand) is an autonomous institution and premier business school located in Anand Gujarat, India with the mandate of contributing to the professional management of rural organisations. IRMA was founded with the belief, borne out by Verghese Kurien’s work in the dairy co-operatives which revolutionized the dairy industry in the country (Operation Flood), that the key to effective rural development is professional management.It is consistently ranked as one of India's best business schools. Also it is considered as the best business schools in the Rural and Agricultural Business Management Sector of India. 
The Institute was established with the support of the Swiss Agency for Development and Corporation, the Government of India, the erstwhile Indian Dairy Corporation, the NDDB (National Dairy Development Board) and the Government of Gujarat.IRMA campus was designed by the famous architect Achyut Kanvinde.
IRMA provides management training, support and research facilities to students committed to rural development; in this process it has brought within its ambit several co-operatives, non-government organisations, government development agencies, international development organisations and funding agencies.
Over the years the convocation of IRMA is graced by National and International luminaries from the academic , cultural , spiritual and political spheres. Former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi attended IRMA's first annual convocation in 1982 .
Michael Halse, then a Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) planning adviser with NDDB, was one of the members responsible for conceptualizing this new discipline of rural management. Another person involved with the institute was the organizational behavior academic Dr. Kamala Chowdhary, who also served briefly as the director of the institute and played a key mentoring role in its formative years. The former director of Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad Ravi J. Matthai contributed; through his documented learning from the Jawaja experiment. Matthai stressed the need for a new type of management education, different from the conventional Indian Institute of Management one: for working on rural development problems.
The institute was initially budgeted as a center for management and consultancy for rural development, under the second phase of the Operation Flood program. Under the chairmanship of Dr. Verghese Kurien, IRMA evolved quickly to enlarge its mandate to professionalize management of rural producers’ organisations and create a body of knowledge in the field of rural management.
One of the pioneering and senior faculty in the initial years was anthropologist and equity-feminist scholar Leela Dube. One of her studies, through field work in five Southeast Asian countries, put the organisation on the international social science research map.
Beginning with co-operatives funded by NDDB, IRMA has reached out to the rural sector through development organizations engaged with issues of rural life such as natural resource management (especially water and forests), rural health, local governance institution, livelihood, migration, micro finance, and deploying IT for rural areas.
Since inception, the focus of IRMA has been on strengthening the management capacities in non-governmental organisations and organisations that are controlled by users of the services (rather than the conventional capital investor-centered business corporate). IRMA claims that its branding and commitment to a unique field of management makes it unique among management institutes of India.
IRMA was ranked 17 in India by Outlook India's "Top 150 Private B Schools" of 2020,IRMA was ranked 5th Best B School in Chronicle India B- School Survey 2019 , IRMA was ranked 5th best B-school among the top 75 private B-schools of India and 10th overall among the top 100 B-schools of India , as per Times B-School Survey 2019. IRMA Ranked 8th in UTD Top 10 Indian Business School Ranking for Research.
Dr. Verghese Kurien Memorial lecture
To commemorate the memory of the founder of the Institute, an annual Dr. Verghese Kurien Memorial Lecture, has been instituted from 2012: to be held on his birth anniversary. The first lecture in 2012 was delivered by M. S. Swaminathan. The second lecture in 2013 was delivered by Vijay Shankar Vyas. The third lecture in 2014 was delivered by the Governor of Reserve Bank of India, Raghuram Rajan. The fourth annual lecture in 2015 was delivered by the Chief Economic Adviser to the Government of India, Arvind Subramanian on 21 November 2015.
The campus is fully residential and equipped with student hostels, mess, lecture halls, seminar rooms, library, faculty and administrative offices, auditorium, executive training and development centre, faculty and staff housing, dispensary, and other support facilities. The IRMA staff co-operative store caters to the residents’ daily necessities. Faculty and staff live in the campus quarters provided, thereby providing facilities for interaction with the participants beyond classrooms.
- The Ravi J Mathai Library supports the mission of IRMA through the provision of information resources and services. The library provides the academic community with information for fulfilling research requirements, coursework assignments, and professional development. This is achieved through collection development, networking, electronic information retrieval, instruction in search strategy and assisted access to an array of resources and data.
- Executive Training and Development Centre (ETDC), where the executive training programs and seminars are held, has 35 single-occupancy air-conditioned rooms, four suites, a dining hall, a lounge, conference and syndicate rooms with audio-visual equipment and a computer laboratory which is networked with the institute's main computer center. This facility is available for executive training programmes and conferences planned by the faculty.
- IRMA Auditorium, with a seating capacity of 400, is used for major events of the institute and for entertainment. Movies are screened for the participants of programs and the residents of the campus. It is used for musical concerts hosted by the Society for Promotion of Indian Culture and Music amongst Youth (SPIC-MACAY) and the cultural programs hosted by the students.
- The Students Activities Center (SAC) has a gym-cum-sports complex, with facilities for a workout, badminton and table tennis courts.
- Students' Co-operative Mess, With PRM participants as members this is managed by students themselves, serves food to residential students of various academic programs.
A co-operative store on the campus is open in the evenings six days a week and provides all the items required by the residents on the campus. It is stocked with provisions and stationery.
A campus dispensary supplies medication. The medical officer visits the campus for an hour every day, and a staff nurse resides on the campus to attend to medical emergencies.
- Ravi J. Matthai - Management education administrator, noted for establishing Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad and Institute of Rural Management, Anand.
- Leela Dube - Anthropologist and equity-feminist scholar
- Yoginder K Alagh - Noted Indian economist, former Union Minister of Government of India & ex-Chairman of IRMA.
- Vivek Bhandari - Indian professor & ex-Director of IRMA.
- Deep Joshi - Indian social worker , NGO activist and a recipient of the Magsaysay award. Ex-Chairman of IRMA.
- Sanjay Ghose - Founder URMUL Rural Health Research and Development Trust and Charka Development Communication Network
- Sankar Datta - Indian academic & professional development worker.
- Satish Babu (PRM3) - Director, International Centre for Free and Open Source Software (ICFOSS).
- Raju Narisetti - Founder of Mint (newspaper), Senior Vice-President, News Corporation
- Sandeep Dikshit - Member of Parliament of 14th Lok Sabha and 15th Lok Sabha representing East Delhi
- Daman Singh - Indian writer and daughter of Former Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh.
- Amir Ullah Khan - Indian economist. Professor at the Dr. Marri Channa Reddy Human Resource Development Institute of Telangana of the Government of Telangana.
- G. V. L. Narasimha Rao - National Spokesperson of Bharatiya Janata Party
- Syed Safawi - Managing Director and Group CEO of VLCC , Ex-CEO of Viom Networks
- Gouthami (entrepreneur) - Recipient of Cartier Women's Initiative Awards 2010 & Founder of Travel Another India
- Praveen Morchhale - 65th National Film Awards of India winner film director. (Barefoot to Goa)
- "List of faculty". irma.ac.in. Institute of Rural Management, Anand. Archived from the original on June 24, 2013. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- campusutra. "MBA Admission & Placement News in India". www.campusutra.com. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "Sectoral MBA programs". www.time4education.com. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "IRMA - Network Past Issues". www.irma.ac.in. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- Halse, Michael (1979). The concept of conversion efficiency as applied to the Indian milk and food economy. Harvard University.
- Halse, Michael (1979). "Producing an adequate national diet in India: Issues relating to conversion efficiency and dairying". Agricultural Systems. Elsevier. 4 (4): 239–278. doi:10.1016/0308-521X(79)90002-7.
- Halse, Michael, A new institute of rural management - and a new developmental discipline?, IRMA Occasional Papers # 1.
- Chowdhary, Kamala (1971). Kakar, Sudhir (ed.). Understanding organisational behaviour: cases and concepts. Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company.
- Chowdhary, Kamala (1970). Kakar, Sudhir (ed.). Conflict and choice: Indian youth in a changing society. Somaiya Publications.
- Chowdhary, Kamala (1970). Change-in-organisations. Lalvani Publishing House.
- "IRMA newsletter" (PDF). .irma.ac.in.
- http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/iima-cases/cases-list.html&more=CMA0666 Archived 2014-02-21 at the Wayback Machine
- Mathai, Ravi John (1985). The rural university: the Jawaja experiment in educational innovation. Popular Prakashan. ISBN 9780861321131.
- Dube, Leela (1980). Studies on women in South East Asia: a status report (PDF). UNESCO Regional Office in Asia and Oceania. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- Sriram, M.S. (2007). "Rural Management Education in India: A Retrospect" (PDF). IIMA Working Paper Series. Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (2007/04/01): 14. Retrieved 23 Aug 2012.
- "IRMA - History". www.irma.ac.in.
- "Welcome to Times B-School Survey". www.timesbschoolsurvey.org. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "IRMA Ranked 8th in UTD Top 10 Indian Business School Ranking for Research".
- "IRMA Anand - Mess and Campus Facilities". PaGaLGuY. 2019-03-19.
- "Latest News, India News, Breaking News, Live News Online, Today Headlines". Archived from the original on 2009-01-14. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-08-24. Retrieved 2013-08-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2013-07-02.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-03-07. Retrieved 2013-01-26.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- https://www.facebook.com/APNnewsINT. "Satish Babu to head ICFOSS". Archived from the original on 2013-11-03. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-03-17. Retrieved 2013-02-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/specials/htmintluxury/RajuNarisetti.shtml[permanent dead link]
- "UP NREGA scam worth over Rs 10,000 crore, claims Sandeep Dixit". India Today.
- "Sandeep Dixit's St. Stephen's barb triggers war of words". India Today.
- "Khan, Amir". SAGE Publications Inc. 2019-06-03. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- "Gvl Narasimha Rao(Bharatiya Janata Party(BJP)):(UTTAR PRADESH) - Affidavit Information of Candidate". myneta.info. Retrieved 2019-06-18.