Instituto Militar de Engenharia
|Established||December 17, 1792|
|Rector||Division General Waldermar Barroso Magno Neto, D.S.Sc.|
|Undergraduates||400 - 450|
|Location||Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil|
|Campus||Urban, Pça General Tibúrcio|
The Instituto Militar de Engenharia (Military Institute of Engineering, IME) is an engineering university maintained by the Brazilian Army with Federal support. IME is the oldest and one of the best ranked engineering schools in Brazil, according to the Ministry of Education of that country, having systematically achieved first place in several of its engineering degrees. Its current campus is located in Urca, Rio de Janeiro, right across the entrance to the very famous Sugar Loaf cable car.
Founded by the Portuguese colonial administration in 1792, as the Real Academia de Artilharia, Fortificação e Desenho (Royal Academy of Artillery, Fortification and Drawing), on the model of the Fortification, Artillery and Drawing Academy of Lisbon, it is known as one of the oldest engineering schools in the world. IME is the third oldest engineering school in the world and the oldest in Americas. The school is known for having produced some of Brazil's most notable researchers and public figures.
Teaching and Admission
The school's undergraduate admission exam is famous for being considered one of the most difficult ones in the country, due to the high level of the questions presented on the tests. Applying students are evaluated through a set of examinations on the following subjetcs: Math, Physics, Chemistry, Portuguese and English. The questions presented on the exams are nationally known featuring exercises from previous Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry Olympiads, as well as unprecedented ones. The Brazilian Ministry of Education develops a periodical evaluation (both through tests applied on undergraduate students and infrastructure and faculty evaluation), and IME is usually ranked among the top three schools of the country in each of its Engineering specialties.
Engineering Programs Offered
- Civil Engineering Department
- Civil Engineering B.Sc.
- Transportation Engineering M.Sc.
- Electrical Engineering Department
- Electrical Engineering B.Sc.
- Electronics Engineering B.Sc.
- Electrical Engineering M.Sc.
- Telecommunications Engineering B.Sc.
- Mechanical Engineering Department
- Mechanical and Automotive Engineering B.Sc.
- Armament Mechanics Engineering B.Sc.
- Materials Engineering B.Sc.
- Materials Science M.Sc.
- Materials Science D.Sc.
- Chemical Engineering Department
- Chemical Engineering B.Sc.
- Chemistry M.Sc.
- Chemistry D.Sc.
- Cartography Engineering Department
- Cartography Engineering B.Sc.
- Cartography Engineering M.Sc.
- Computer Engineering Department
- Computer Engineering B.Sc.
- Computing and Systems M.Sc.
- Euclides da Cunha, Writer and sociologist
- Casimiro Montenegro Filho, Founder of the Technological Institute of Aeronautics
- Francisca Fernández-Hall Zúñiga, Guatemalan, first female graduate—class of 1950
- Morang, J (9 July 2014). "Mujeres y la Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala". Periódico Digital ECC (in Spanish). Guatemala City, Guatemala: Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Concludentes de 1950 Conclusive 1950". Instituto Militar de Engenharia (in Portuguese). Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Instituto Militar de Engenharia. Retrieved 25 June 2015.