This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Developer(s)||New World Interactive|
|Publisher(s)||Focus Home Interactive|
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
|Genre(s)||Action, first-person shooter, strategy|
Insurgency: Sandstorm is a multiplayer tactical first-person shooter video game developed by New World Interactive and published by Focus Home Interactive. It was officially announced in February 2016, for Linux, macOS, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The game is a sequel to the 2014 video game Insurgency. It was released on 12 December 2018 for Windows, with a delayed release for console, macOS and Linux builds of the game. The game received critical acclaim for its realistic gameplay, level design, sound design, atmosphere, graphics and fluid animations, but was criticized for its technical issues and voice-acting.
Similar to Insurgency, Sandstorm features a very simple HUD, lacking a health bar, ammunition count, and mini map. Its game play is very intense, with weapons being extremely deadly and with a high degree of realism.
Players can choose classes and a variety of weapons at the beginning of a match. Players are separated into 2 teams, Insurgents and Security.
There are a total of five online game modes and one co-op game mode.
Online Game Modes
- Push: The attacking team must capture three or four territorial objectives in sequential order. For every objective captured, more reinforcements are made available and more time is given to capture the next objective. The defenders must protect the objectives from the attackers. If the attackers are able to capture all three or four objectives, they must find and destroy the cache. At this point, the defenders only have one life to fend off the attackers. The game ends when either team runs out of reinforcements and players or time.
- Firefight: Both teams must battle each other to capture all three territorial objectives. Each player only has one life and can only respawn after their team has captured an objective. A team wins when either the entire other team is eliminated, or all three objectives are captured.
- Skirmish: Like Firefight, there are three territorial objectives that both teams have to capture. Each team also has a cache to protect. If the caches of both teams are destroyed, the game will be played like Firefight. To win, the cache must be destroyed and all three objectives captured.
- Arcade: Arcade includes casual modes that are rotated out with updates such as Team Deathmatch.
- Competitive: Firefight in a 5v5 ranked queue, with higher equipment costs and different class structure.
Cooperative Game Modes
- Checkpoint: Players are grouped into one team and must complete mission-based objectives against AI. Every completed objective will grant fallen players another life.
- "Announcing Insurgency: Sandstorm". New World Interactive. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- "Insurgency: Sandstorm". Insurgency: Sandstorm. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- "Insurgency: Sandstorm". Metacritic. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- Insurgency: Sandstorm Review - IGN, retrieved 2019-07-07
- Iwaniuk, Phil (2018-12-18). "Insurgency: Sandstorm review". PC Gamer. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- Bertz, Matt. "Insurgency: Sandstorm Review – What's Old Is New Again". Game Informer. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
|This video game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|