Insurgency in Egypt (2013–present)
|Insurgency in Egypt (2013–present)|
|Part of the Arab Winter, Egyptian crisis aftermath, and Terrorism in Egypt|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Casualties and losses|
|Total: 772+ killed|
|Part of a series on the|
In July 2013, at the same time as mass protests began against the 3 July coup d'état which deposed Mohamed Morsi, and in parallel with the escalation of the already ongoing jihadist insurgency in the Sinai Peninsula, pro-Muslim Brotherhood militants started violent attacks against policemen and soldiers in Central and Western Egypt. In the following months, new Islamist armed groups were created to reinstate Islamist rule in Egypt, like Soldiers of Egypt and the Popular Resistance Movement. Since 2013, violence in mainland Egypt has escalated and developed into a low-level Islamist insurgency against the Egyptian government.
Some of the main attacks and arrests are described by year:
- On 23 July, an explosive device killed 1 and injured 19 at a police station in Mansoura.
- On 5 October, gunmen shot dead six soldiers near the Suez Canal city of Ismailiya.
- On 28 October, assailants killed three policemen who were posted near the University of Mansura in Egypt's Nile Delta region.
- On 24 December, a bomb exploded in Mansoura, targeting the security directorate building, killing 16 and injuring 150.
- From 23 to 26 January, a bombing wave occurs with 13 victims.
- On 15 March, 6 soldiers were killed by bombs at a checkpoint.
- On 19 March, senior official were as well as two members of Ansar Beit al-Maqdis 
- On 19 July, the July 2014 Al-Wadi Al-Gedid attack killed 25 people.
- On 5 August, seven people were killed.
- On 14 September, 7 high-profile militants were killed by security forces in Suez area.
- On 6 March, three policemen were killed in Mahalla.
- On 15 April, three military cadets were killed in a bomb attack.
- On 24 April, four Muslim brotherhood members were killed by their explosives.
- On 9 May, four dead in an exchange of fire between police and members of Muslim brotherhood.
- On 29 June, a top prosecutor was killed by explosives in his car.
- On 1 July, 9 militants were killed by police in Giza.
- On 11 July 2015, a car bomb exploded outside the Italian consulate in the Egyptian capital Cairo resulting in at least one death and four people injured, responsibility was claimed by ISIS.
- On 17 July, 6 persons were killed during clashes in Cairo.
- On 6 August, 5 Muslim brotherhood members were shot dead in Fayoum province.
- On 24 August, a bus bombing kills 3 policemen and wounds 33 others.
- On 21 September, police kills 10 militants in Bahariya Oasis and following a mistake attack of 12 people including Mexican tourists.
- On 25 September, 9 militants were killed following the bombing of the Italian consulate in Cairo.
- 8 January - 2 militants armed with a melee weapon and a signal flare, arrived by sea and stormed Bella Vista Hotel in the Red Sea city of Hurghada, stabbing three foreign tourists from Sweden and Austria. One of the assailants was shot dead and the other was wounded by security forces.
- 21 January - 9 people including six policemen, and ten others were wounded in Giza when, after raiding an Islamic State hideout, a bomb detonated.
- 29 September - A car exploded after the passage of the general prosecutor car. One civilian was wounded.
- 28 October - A bomb killed one and another were wounded. The explosion occurred in Cairo.
- 19 November - in Cairo was One child killed and another was injured when an improvised explosive device detonated in an apartment in Cairo's Manshiyet Nasser district.
- 9 December -
- A civilian died and another 3 were injured in bombing attack in Kafr El Sheikh.
- 6 police officers and a civilian were killed in a bombing near a checkpoint in the Egyptian capital. 3 additional officers and 4 civilians were wounded by the blast The Hasm Movement claimed responsibility for the attack.
- 11 December - At least 25 people were killed and 49 injured after a suicide bombing at a Coptic cathedral in Cairo.
- 12 December - is A military vehicle struck a roadside bomb during a security swoop in North Sinai's city of Sheikh Zuweid, killing four soldiers. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack.
- 3 January - A Christian businessman was murdered by a Salafi Islamist for selling alcohol in his shop in Alexandria.
- 6 January - Two Egyptian Coptic Christians were murdered. They were murdered because of their faith, according to the brother of the dead woman.
- 16 January - Eight Egyptian security officers were killed and 3 others were injured when their checkpoint about 70 km away from the Kharga Oasis was attacked by unidentified militants. At least two of the assailants were killed, while the others escaped.
- 1 April - A booby-trapped motorbike exploded outside a police training center, killing one police officer and injuring 12 others, as well as 3 civilians.
- 9 April - 2017 Palm Sunday church bombings
- At least 45 people were killed and at least 126 were injured in an explosion in a Coptic Church in Tanta, Egypt. Initial investigations show the terrorist blew himself up during the church's Palm Sunday services, causing mass destruction at the scene.
- Near a police station in Tanta, there was also an attack.
- A suicide bomber has detonated an explosion outside Saint Mark's Church in Alexandria's Manshyia district. Casualties were reported.
- There was also an exploration in Chouhada Street in Alexandria.
- 1 May - A police convoy that was in the Nasr City area of Cairo were attacked after gunmen in two vehicles opened fire. The attack killed three police officers and wounded five.
- 26 May - 2017 Minya attack 28 people have been killed and 25 wounded after gunmen opened fire on a bus carrying Coptic Christians in central Egypt.
- 1 June - Three soldiers and one Egyptian army officer were killed in a bomb blast near El-Bawiti in Egypt's Western Desert, the army confirmed in a statement.
- 18 June - An Egyptian policeman was killed and four wounded by a roadside explosive near the Cairo suburb of Maadi.
- 7 July - An Egyptian national security officer was shot dead on Friday by gunmen in the governorate of Qaliubiya.
- 14 July -
- Gunmen ambushed an Egyptian security checkpoint, killing five policemen in an area just south of the capital.
- 2017 Hurghada attack: Two German tourists and a Czech citizen, who succumb to her wounds on 27 July in an hospital in Cairo, were killed and three other tourists were injured when a knifeman attacked a holiday resort in Hurghada. The attacker communicated with the Islamic State via internet and was given the task of attacking foreign tourists on Hurghada beaches by the group.
- 3 August - A policeman and a civilian were killed and three people wounded in an attack on a patrol in Esna, south of Luxor.
- 8 August - A group of gunmen killed two police officers and wounded another in a village north of Cairo.
- 2 October - Egypt's Interior Ministry announced that the police had killed three suspected militants in a shootout in a southern Cairo suburb. The gunfire exchange took place at a cemetery under construction in 15 May City, a district south of Cairo, as security forces were trying to arrest them. Rifles and ammunition were found at the scene.
- 20 October - Official Ministry of Interior of Egypt listed 16 police officer deaths, 15 injured and one missing as well as 15 killed or injured terrorists. Reuters and BBC published that 52 policemen were killed; including 23 officers according to Reuters, and 18 according to BBC based on unidentified security sources. This was rebuked State Information service of Egypt.
- 29 December - 2017 Saint Menas church attack 11 people have died in twin attacks on Coptic Christians in the southern Cairo: eight civilians and a police officer were killed in a shooting outside a church, and two civilians were killed in a Coptic-owned shop beforehand. One attacker was killed by the police.
- 1 January – Two Egyptian Christians were shot dead by a gunman as they celebrated the New Year at a liquor store.
- 24 March – A bomb placed under a car exploded in Egypt's second largest city Alexandria, killing two people, including a policeman. The bombing, which wounded five others, targeted Alexandria's security chief.
103 people were killed in 2013, 195 in 2014, 272 in 2015, 101 in 2016, and at least 160 in 2017.
- "4 killed in violent clashes in Damietta". Daily News Egypt. 2015-05-09. Retrieved 2017-10-10.
- "Ajnad Misr". Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy.
- "(Allied) Popular Resistance Movement". Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy.
- "ACLED Version 5 (1997–2014)". Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Egypt's Escalating Islamist Insurgency". Carnegie Middle East Center. 21 October 2015.
- "Egypt's Rising Security Threat". Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy. 15 November 2015.
- "'Terrorist attack' on police station in Egypt's Mansoura kills one". Al-Ahram. 24 July 2013.
- "Egyptian soldiers killed in Ismailiya and Sinai attacks".
- "Three officers killed in Daqahleya".
- "Bombing wave hits Egypt amid fear of more violence".
- "Egypt unrest: Six soldiers shot dead in Cairo".
- "Two army officers, teenager killed in violence in Egypt".
- "Four killed in Egypt's North Coast during 'terror attack' were not militants".
- "7 high profile militants killed in Suez security raid".
- "Death toll rises to three from Mahalla blast". 8 March 2015.
- "Third military cadet dies after last week's Kafr El-Sheikh attack".
- "4 killed, 1 injured in Beni Suef explosion". Daily News Egypt. 2015-04-25. Retrieved 2017-10-10.
- Erin Cunningham (29 June 2015). "Cairo blast kills top prosecutor, raising fears about militant reach in Egypt". Washington Post.
- "Egypt's security forces kill 9 'terrorists' during raid in Giza".
- "ISIS claims responsibility for bomb attack against Italian consulate in Cairo | News , Middle East". The Daily Star. 2015-07-06. Retrieved 2015-07-11.
- "Islamic State 'behind blast' at Italian consulate in Cairo - BBC News". Bbc.com. Retrieved 2015-07-11.
- "1 dead in car bomb blast at Italian Consulate in Egypt - CNN.com". Edition.cnn.com. Retrieved 2015-07-11.
- "At least six dead as Islamist protesters clash with police in Cairo". the Guardian.
- "Police kill 5 alleged Brothehrood members in Fayoum". Cairo Post.
- "Egypt bus bombing kills three policemen, injures 33".
- "Egyptian army kills 10 militants in Bahariya Oasis".
- MENAFN. "9 killed were militants behind Italian Consulate bombing: Police". Retrieved 17 July 2017.
- "Bomb attack kills six in Cairo". Reuters. 21 January 2016.
- "ISIS claims responsibility for Cairo attack that killed 9". The Jerusalem Post. 22 January 2016. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "Egypte : Attentat au Caire contre le procureur général". 2016-10-01. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "One passerby killed, another injured in Cairo by roadside IED - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online". English.ahram.org.eg. 2016-10-28. Retrieved 2016-11-28.
- "1 child killed, another injured after bomb detonates in Manshiyet Nasser". Daily News Egypt. 2016-11-20. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- "Bomb targeting policemen kills civilian in Egypt's Kafr El-Sheikh - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online".
- "Bomb kills civilian, injures three police in northern Egypt: security sources". 9 December 2016 – via Reuters.
- CNN, Sarah Faidell and Steve Almasy. "Egyptian blasts kill, wound police officers".
- "Explosion in Cairo kills 6 Egyptian policemen, injures others". The Washington Post. 9 December 2016. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Une bombe tue quatre soldats dans le Sinaï". Conflits-FR. 2016-12-13. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- "Egypt: Islamist Murders Christian for Selling Alcohol in Alexandria". PJ Media. 4 January 2017. Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- "Egypt couple's murder marks second attack on Christians during Copt Christmas". World Watch Monitora. 11 January 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Police officers die in attack in Egypt's Western Desert". Al-Jazeera. 16 January 2017. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "Bomb explosion targets police in Egypt's Tanta". Al-Jazeera. 1 April 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Explosion in Ägypten: 25 Tote, 70 Verletzte". Sputnik News (in German). 9 April 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Egypt Coptic church blast 'kills at least 13' in Nile Delta". BBC News. 9 April 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Ägypten: Zweite Explosion nahe Polizeistation". Sputnik News (in German). 9 April 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "BREAKING: Explosion at the Saint Mark's Church in Alexandria: Coptic Church official". Ahram Online. 9 April 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Blutiger Palmsonntag: Zweite Explosion in Alexandria - Medien". Sputnik News (in German). 9 April 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Egypt violence: Three police killed in Cairo attack". BBC News. 2 May 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Egypt Coptic Christians killed in bus attack". BBC News. 26 May 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "At least 35 Coptic Christians killed, 25 injured in Egypt bus attack". Daily Pakistan. 26 May 2017. Retrieved 17 July 2017.
- "4 Egyptian personnel killed in bomb blast". Middle East Monitor. 1 June 2017. Retrieved 17 July 2017.
- "UPDATE 3-Roadside explosion in Cairo kills Egyptian policeman". Reuters. 18 June 2017. Retrieved 17 July 2017.
- "Gunmen shoot dead senior police officer on outskirts of Cairo". Ahram Online. 7 July 2017. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- "Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo". Reuters. 14 July 2017. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- "The Latest: Official: 2 tourists slain in Egypt were German". AP News. 14 July 2017. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- "Hurghada-Angreifer handelte im IS-Auftrag". Sputnik (in German). 15 July 2017. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- "2 killed, 3 wounded in Egypt attack near Luxor — MENA". Reuters. 4 August 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Report: Attack on Police Vehicle Kills Four in Northern Sinai". The Jerusalem Post. 8 August 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Egypt says police killed 3 suspected militants in Cairo". Fox News. 2 October 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "State Information Service condemns BBC, Reuters coverage of Wahat crime". Egypt State Information Service. 21 October 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Egypt attack: Gunman targets Coptic Christians in church and shop". BBC News. 29 December 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Mass funeral to be held for Helwan church victims: Coptic Orthodox Church". Egypt Independent. 29 December 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Gunman kills two Egyptian Christians at liquor store". The New Arab. 1 January 2018. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Bomb kills two in Alexandria ahead of Egypt presidential vote". CNBC. 24 March 2018. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "Egypt kills six militants from group it accuses over Alexandria bombing". The Straits Times. 26 March 2018. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "2 policeman killed in pre-election bomb attack in Egypt's Alexandria". The Straits Times. 24 March 2018. Retrieved 20 June 2018.