Intelligence-Security Agency of Bosnia and Herzegovina
|Obavještajno sigurnosna / bezbjednosna agencija BiH|
Intelligence-Security Agency of BiH
|Formed||June 1, 2004|
|Headquarters||Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina|
The Intelligence-Security Agency of BiH, commonly known by its acronym OSA-OBA BiH, is the primary intelligence agency of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It was created in 2004 by the Bosnian House of Representatives and House of People in March 2004.
Mission and Function
The State Intelligence Service has the following duties:
- collect information from abroad for the purpose of national security;
- undertake intelligence activities for the purpose of the protection of integrity, independence and constitutional order;
- collect information regarding terrorist activity, the production and trafficking of narcotics, the production of weapons of mass destruction and crimes against the environment;
- collect information regarding organized crime that endangers national security.
Relationship with other state entities
Institutional Position of the State Intelligence Service and relationship with other state bodies:
The State Intelligence Service falls under the authority of the Prime Minister. Its Head is appointed and dismissed by the President of the Republic on the advice of the Prime Minister.
OSA operates within this context and while it has been identified as being "generally under effective civilian control" (U.S. Department of State, 2004) the agency has still been associated with various abuses within the country and continues to play a significant role in domestic politics. The Bosnian government has received support from the U.S. and European countries in working to establish or reform national institutions, including its intelligence and security services.
- OSA-OBA, Bosnia and Herzegovina. "Intelligence-Security Agency". http://www.osa-oba.gov.ba/. osa-oba-gov.ba. Retrieved 4 October 2014. External link in
- Rules and tasks. "OSA-OBA BIH". http://www.osa-oba.gov.ba/indexeng.htm. www.osa-oba.gov.ba. External link in
- Relation with foreign agencies, OSA-OBA BIH. "PLACE AND ROLE OF INTELLIGENCE AND SECURITY AGENCY OF BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA IN SECURITY SYSTEM OF BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA". http://www.osa-oba.gov.ba/osaobaeng.htm. www.osa-oba.gov.ba. External link in