|Type||Home video game console|
|Introductory price||US$229 TBC |
US$279 TBC (Limited Editions)
US$299 (Founder's Edition)
|Media||digital downloads, SD card|
|Operating system||Custom Android/Linux operating system|
|CPU||8 core 1.8GHz CPU|
|Memory||2 GB RAM|
|Storage||16 GB flash memory, SD, USB storage|
|Controller input||Intellivision Amico controller, Android/iOS device|
|Connectivity||Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, RFID, USB|
|Dimensions||11 × 9.5 × 2.5 in (279.40 × 241.30 × 63.50 mm)|
The Intellivision Amico is an upcoming video game console produced by Intellivision Entertainment. It is set to launch in North America, the United Kingdom, the rest of Europe and the MENA region on October 10, 2020 with an expected retail price of approximately US$229. The console is slated to include six games preloaded at launch with an additional 40 titles available at that time.
The Intellivision Amico will mostly feature 2D and 2.5D games only. 3D games will be allowed, as long as they are easy to play and easy to learn. Intellivision Entertainment is providing studios with any resources they need to develop games to put in their curated library of games. All games must have features exclusive to the console, and must be rated E or E10+ by the ESRB, or PEGI 3 or PEGI 7 by PEGI. Intellivision Entertainment plan to release a mixture of completely new games, updated classic games and motion control games for the Amico. Updated versions of many of the popular classic Intellivision games will be available with improved graphics and sound and, unlike previous Intellivision compilations, will include some previous third-party licenses, such as Tron: Deadly Discs. New versions of several classic Atari games, as well as games from Imagic and arcade classics such as Moon Patrol and BurgerTime, are in development. Both downloadable games and games on physical media will be available, with downloadable versions of games costing US$9.99 or less, and special edition releases being available on SD cards for US$30. The Amico's goal is to return to family gaming and "couch co-op" among people in the same location which the company feels has been lost in modern gaming and web-based multiplayer.
In May 2018, Tommy Tallarico announced his plans to launch a new Intellivision console and formed a new company, Intellivision Entertainment, serving as president. Intellivision Productions was renamed Blue Sky Rangers Inc. and their video game intellectual property was transferred to the new Intellivision Entertainment.
At the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in October 2018 the new Intellivision console was officially unveiled, including its name and launch date of October 10, 2020. Developer kits were expected to go out in Summer 2019.
In May 2019 Intellivision Entertainment revealed its first major console exclusive title, announcing that it had assembled ten members of the original Earthworm Jim team to create a third installment in the franchise in honor of its 25th anniversary. The following month, the company debuted the functioning Amico hardware behind closed doors at E3 2019, allowing industry insiders to play in-development games on one of the functional console variants, and try out the compatible phone controller mobile app.
At Gamescom in Cologne, Germany in August 2019 Tommy Tallarico debuted a trailer that contained in-game footage running on the Amico hardware to the public for the first time. In October 2019, Tommy Tallarico attended Insomnia Dubai, a gaming convention held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, to announce they set up an office in Dubai to launch the Amico in the MENA region on the same day as North America and Europe.
|Type||Video game controller|
|Display||3.2 in (81.28 mm) 4:3 TFT LCD capacitive touchscreen, full-color, 320 × 240 QVGA @ 125 ppi|
|Connectivity||Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, RFID, USB-C|
|Power||USB-C host powered|
|Dimensions||6 × 2.75 × 1 in (152.40 × 69.85 × 25.40 mm)|
The Intellivision Amico comes bundled with two controllers. The controllers can charge wirelessly when they are placed into their cradle on top of the console, charge using a wired USB-C connection, or charge using both methods at the same time. They feature Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, RFID, speakers, a microphone, an accelerometer, force feedback, and a gyroscope. They also feature a 3.2 in (81.28 mm) full-color touch screen, four oversized shoulder buttons, a home button and a 64-way pressure-sensitive directional disc surrounded by a ring of LEDs. The controllers come with wrist straps to prevent them from flying away during game action if not held securely. Up to six additional players can connect, with players able to use a free controller smartphone app in place of an Amico controller when needed.
Tommy Tallarico, president of Intellivision Entertainment, has said the games available for the Amico will be about 25% updated and re-imagined versions of classic video games, 25% original new games, 25% sports and recreation and 25% board/dice/card/word/puzzle games. All games will be both single player and multiplayer, with some games allowing up to eight players, simultaneously, using controllers and/or mobile phones. Some games will have motion control, utilizing the accelerometer and gyroscope of the controller. Five games will come included with the Amico, and it will have about forty more games available at launch. Three of the five included games have been announced as Skiing, Snafoo, and Astrosmash.[This statement is lacking citations for Snafoo and Astrosmash]
The following games have been announced to be released for the Intellivision Amico:
|Title (59)||Genre||Developer||Release date|
|10 Yard Fight||Sports||2020/21|
|Astrosmash||Shooter||Rogue Rocket Games||2020|
|Back Talk Party||Party||2020|
|Bad Dudes||Beat 'em up|
|Beauty and the Beast||Action|
|Cloudy Mountain Crown of Kings||Action||Other Ocean||2020|
|Earthworm Jim 4||Intellivision Entertainment||2021|
|Ecco the Dolphin||Action-adventure||2020|
|Kung-Fu Master||Beat 'em up|
|Lock 'N' Chase||Arcade|
|Lode Runner||Platformer, puzzle||2020|
|Moon Patrol: The Milky Way Chronicles||Arcade||WastedStudios||2020|
|Night Stalker||Shooter||Other Ocean||2020|
|Pool & Billiards||Sports|
|Toejam & Earl||Action||2020/21|
|Tron Deadly Discs||Action||Other Ocean|
The Intellivision Amico utilizes a custom Android/Linux operating system developed in-house. In an interview with GamesBeat, Tommy Tallarico described the operating system as "very solid", but "very flexible", stating Linux is the "flexible" part and Android is the "solid" part.
- "Amico Tech Specs — Intellivision Entertainment". Intellivision Entertainment. Retrieved 7 January 2020.
- "October 2018 Press Release" (PDF). Intellivision Entertainment. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- "Intellivision Reveals 5 Colors for the New Amico Console". Geek Tyrant. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- Takahashi, Dean. "Intellivision Entertainment prepares for its rebirth on 10-10-20". Venture Beat. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Williams, Carl. "Intellivision Entertainment Announce Amico Console". steemit.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Pelone, Anthony. "First Look at Intellivision Amico". heypoorplayer.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- "FAQ — Intellivision Entertainment". Intellivision Entertainment. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- Borge, Michael. "Intellivision revealed their new Amico console - Daily Gaming Report". Daily Gaming Report. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- Fischer, Tyler (October 20, 2018). "Intellivision Amico Console Officially Announced, Release Date Revealed". Comicbook.com. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- "May 2018 Press Release" (PDF). Intellivision Entertainment. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- Takahashi, Dean (May 29, 2018). "Intellivision lives: Tommy Tallarico will relaunch 1980s console". VentureBeat. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- "September 2019 Press Release" (PDF). Intellivision Entertainment. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- Roney, Steve. "Intellivision Productions, Blue Sky Rangers and Intellivision Entertainment". atariage. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "May 2019 Press Release" (PDF). Intellivision Entertainment. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- Hall, Charlie. "Earthworm Jim game in development for the new Intellivision console". Polygon. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- Franzese, Tomas. "The Intellivision Amico is Real and its Goals Are Commendable". Dual Shockers. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- "Intellivision Entertainment Launches New Trailer for Their Upcoming Amico Video Game Console". Retro Game Network. Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- Hamad, Marwa (October 17, 2019). "Insomnia Dubai: Supercars and gaming announcements on day one". Gulf News. Retrieved October 25, 2019.
- Hall, Charlie. "Intellivision plans comeback with a new console called Amico in 2020". Polygon. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Santa Maria, Alex. "It's Game On For Intellivision's Forthcoming Amico Console". mandatory.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Adams, Robert N. (9 December 2019). "Intellivision Amico Controller Detailed, First Pack-In Game Revealed". TechRaptor. Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- Takahashi, Dean (January 12, 2020). "Tommy Tallarico is making a lot of noise about Intellivision | VentureBeat". VentureBeat. Retrieved January 12, 2020.
- Battikh, Rany. "Intellivision Amico Gamescom 2019 Trailer". retrorgb.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Diaz, Jesus. "What the Hell Is the New Intellivision Console?". tomsguide.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- "Meet Amico™ - LED Disc Ring (test 2.18) - YouTube". Intellivision Entertainment. Retrieved 12 January 2020.
- Owens, Skip. "Geek Links: Intellivision Amico Announcement". geekdad.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- "Intellivision bringing 22 games to E3". Brutal Gamer. 2019-06-04. Retrieved 2020-01-17.
- Takahashi, Dean. "Intellivision Entertainment prepares for its rebirth on 10-10-20". VentureBeat. Retrieved 7 January 2020.
- Adams, Robert. "Intellivision Amico Controller Detailed, First Pack-In Game Revealed | TechRaptor". TechRaptor. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- McIlrath, Mary. "Tech Takes Its Foot Off the Kid Gas Pedal: Consumer Electronics Show 2020 Recap". C+R Research. Retrieved 2020-01-17.
- "Meet Amico™ - Dice Rolling! - YouTube". Intellivision Entertainment. Retrieved 28 January 2020.
- "The NLG Show Ep. 184: An Evening with Tommy Tallarico and the Intellivision Amico!".
- Tallarico, Tommy. "Atariage Forum website post, Retrieved 24 March 2020". Atariage Forum.