InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
|InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam|
The Amstel Hotel on the bank of the Amstel river
Location within Amsterdam
|Management||InterContinental Hotels Group|
|Design and construction|
|Number of rooms||55|
|Number of suites||24|
|Number of restaurants||2 (1 restaurant and 1 brasserie)|
In 2007 it was the only hotel in the Netherlands on the list of World's Best Hotels. It was ranked in 90th place.
The Amstel Hotel is part of the InterContinental Hotels chain. In 2006 the building was sold to Morgan Stanley. In 2011 the Lebanese businessman Toufic Aboukhater bought the hotel, but it is still operated by the InterContinental Hotels Group
The Intercontinental Amstel is a five star hotel with all luxuries, with 55 rooms and 24 suites. Besides that it has a bar, brasserie, fitness room and a swimming pool.
Samuel Sarphati, a physician and city planner, took the initiative to build the hotel, although he died in June 1866 before the hotel opened. The architect of the building was Cornelis Outshoorn. Originally it was the planning to build the front of the hotel towards the present Sarphatistraat. Due to financial problems, only the wing along the Amstel was built.
In late September 1992, the Amstel Hotel was reopened after a two-year renovation. During the two-year closure, craftsmen, artisans and engineers restored the entire hotel, at a cost of over ƒ70 million. The former 111 rooms were changed in 55 luxury rooms and 24 stylish suites.
In October 2004 a test revealed the presence of legionella in the watersystem. As a measure of precaution the hotel was evacuated and the guest transferred to other luxurious hotels. Several measures are undertaken to prevent a repeat of the incident, like the installation of special filters.
The InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel on the river Amstel
Media related to Amstel Hotel at Wikimedia Commons
- "Amstel Hotel In Top 100 Of The World's Best Hotels 2007". hospitality.net. Retrieved 16 August 2011.
- "Het AmstelHotel is verkocht" (in Dutch). Het Parool. 8 April 2011. Retrieved 16 August 2011.
- "Historical overview Michelin stars 1991 t/m 1996" (in Dutch). missethoreca.nl. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- "Historical overview Michelin stars 1997 t/m 2000" (in Dutch). missethoreca.nl. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- "Historical overview - Michelin stars 2001 t/m 2005" (in Dutch). missethoreca.nl. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- "Historical overview Michelin stars 2006 t/m 2010" (in Dutch). missethoreca.nl. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- "Totaaloverzicht Michelinsterren 2011" (in Dutch). missethoreca.nl. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- "Amstel Hotel" (in Dutch). bma.amsterdam.nl. Retrieved 16 August 2011.
- "Hotel Amstel-Intercontinental Amstel Hotel" (in Dutch). charmingamsterdamhotels.nl. Retrieved 16 August 2011.
- "Amstel Hotel na ontdekking van legionella dicht" (in Dutch). volkskrant.nl. Retrieved 16 August 2011.
- "Amstel Hotel evacuated in Legionnaires' scare". expatica.com. Retrieved 16 August 2011.
- "Amstel Hotel weer open" (in Dutch). missethoreca.nl. Retrieved 16 August 2011.