Interaction Design Institute Ivrea
Interaction Design Institute Ivrea (also known as Interaction Ivrea or by its acronym IDII) was a graduate design program in the field of Interaction Design operating in the town of Ivrea, in Northern Italy.
- "While following in the spirit of the CRD course, Ivrea will explore business in addition to design and technology. Crampton Smith believes that today there is an 'art' in imagining new business models, and is also aware that, partly because of their broad education, design graduates often move into strategic roles in companies and need to be equipped to learn for themselves."
The school operated from 2001 to 2005, finally merging its teaching programme with Domus Academy and subsequently ceasing operating as an independent entity when its initial 5-year endowment ran out; the new Telecom Italia ownership decided not to renew the funding. Its exhibition design unit (E1) was spun off to form an independent company, "Interaction Design Lab". Retrieved 2009-10-04., currently operating in Milan. Among the academic advisors of Interaction Ivrea were leading practitioners and theorists like John Maeda, Ranjit Makkuni, Joy Mountford, John Thackara, Bill Verplank, "Nathan Shedroff". Retrieved 2009-10-04., Bill Moggridge (co-founder of IDEO) and David Liddle (co-founder of Interval Research).
Interaction Ivrea student work was exhibited at the Victoria and Albert's museum in London  and at Salone del Mobile in Milan. It was also part of the Convivio  Network of Excellence European research project.
While the Institute also did a measure of outside consulting work and hosted visiting researchers, its main activity was the Interaction Design Master course, a 2-year course which graduated four classes of approximately 20 students each over its existence. Graduates of Interaction Ivrea now work throughout the design spectrum. The institute was involved in many projects that later became very visible in the design world: among them, the prototyping boards Wiring and Arduino, the graphics software prototyping environment Processing (started at the MIT MediaLab), the CICCIO inflatable environment and the Interaction Design Primer design manual. Ivrea alumni and ex-faculty now work in places like NABA, Domus Academy, IDEO, IXDS, Iuav University of Venice, VCU, the Delft University of Technology, University of Applied Sciences Potsdam, and fashion company CuteCircuit. Interaction Design Institute Ivrea alumni and former staff members set up the Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design in 2006.
A partial archive of Interaction-Ivrea's website can be found at http://interactionivrea.org/en/index.asp
- Macdonald, Nico (2005-04-18). "Action, Interaction, Reaction". Blueprint. p. 6. Archived from the original on 2003-08-10. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- CRD refers to the original Computer Related Design master course in interaction design at the Royal College of Art, London. It is now called Design Interactions.
- Scalise, Irene Maria (2001-10-03). "arrivano i designer interattivi" (in Italian). Repubblica. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- "Interaction Design Institute, fuga a Milano". La Sentinella del Canavese (in Italian). 2005-04-18. p. 2. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- "Touch Me". Victoria and Albert's Museum. 2005-06-16. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- "Convivio". European Union. 2003-01-01. Archived from the original on 2006-07-24. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- "CICCIO Project". Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "Interaction Design Primer". Postmedia Books. 2005-01-01. Archived from the original on 2008-09-22. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Università IUAV di Venezia". IUAV. 2003-01-01. Retrieved 2008-10-28.