Interferon regulatory factors
|Interferon regulatory factor transcription factor|
interferon regulatory factor-2 dna binding domain, nmr, minimized average structure
|SCOPe||1if1 / SUPFAM|
Interferon regulatory factors (IRF) are proteins which regulate transcription of interferons (see regulation of gene expression). They are used in the JAK-STAT signaling pathway. Interferon regulatory factors contain a conserved N-terminal region of about 120 amino acids, which folds into a structure that binds specifically to the interferon consensus sequence (ICS), which is located upstream of the interferon genes. The remaining parts of the interferon regulatory factor sequence vary depending on the precise function of the protein. The Kaposi sarcoma herpesvirus, KSHV, is a cancer virus that encodes four different IRF-like genes; including vIRF1, which is a transforming oncoprotein that inhibits type 1 interferon activity. In addition, the expression of IRF genes is under epigenetic regulation by promoter DNA methylation. 
- Paun A, Pitha PM (2007). "The IRF family, revisited". Biochimie. 89 (6–7): 744–53. doi:10.1016/j.biochi.2007.01.014. PMC 2139905. PMID 17399883.
- Tsuneya Ikezu; Howard E. Gendelman (2008). Neuroimmune Pharmacology. Springer. pp. 213–. ISBN 978-0-387-72572-7. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- Weisz A, Marx P, Sharf R, Appella E, Driggers PH, Ozato K, Levi BZ (December 1992). "Human interferon consensus sequence binding protein is a negative regulator of enhancer elements common to interferon-inducible genes". J. Biol. Chem. 267 (35): 25589–96. PMID 1460054.
- Chang Y, Cesarman E, Pessin MS, Lee F, Culpepper J, Knowles DM, Moore PS (December 1994). "Identification of herpesvirus-like DNA sequences in AIDS-associated Kaposi's sarcoma". Science. 266: 1865–9. PMID 7997879.
- Offermann MK (2007). "Kaposi sarcoma herpesvirus-encoded interferon regulator factors". Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 312: 185–209. PMID 17089798.
- Moore PS, Boshoff C, Weiss RA, Chang Y (December 1996). "Molecular mimicry of human cytokine and cytokine response pathway genes by KSHV". Science. 274 (5293): 1739–44. PMID 8939871.
- Gao SJ, Boshoff C, Jayachandra S, Weiss RA, Chang Y, Moore PS (October 1997). "KSHV ORF K9 (vIRF) is an oncogene which inhibits the interferon signaling pathway". Oncogene. 15 (16): 1979–85. PMID 9365244.
- Rotondo JC, Borghi A, Selvatici R, Magri E, Bianchini E, Montinari E, Corazza M, Virgili A, Tognon M, Martini F (2016). "Hypermethylation-Induced Inactivation of the IRF6 Gene as a Possible Early Event in Progression of Vulvar Squamous Cell Carcinoma Associated With Lichen Sclerosus". JAMA Dermatology. 152 (8): 928–33. doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2016.1336. PMID 27223861.
- Media related to Interferon regulatory factors at Wikimedia Commons
- Interferon+regulatory+factors at the US National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
|This protein-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|