Interminority racism in the United States
There has been a long-running racial tension between African Americans and Mexican Americans. In several significant riots in California prisons, Mexican American and African American inmates targeted each other specifically, over racial issues. There have been reports of racially motivated attacks against African Americans who have moved into neighborhoods occupied mostly by Mexican Americans, and vice versa.
Current US policy advocates a multiculturalist discourse to acknowledge multiracial difference. Multiculturalist theorists like Claire Jean Kim criticizes that this contemporary policy because it still refuses to acknowledge the interminority inequalities and antagonisms generated by this new diversity.
Examples of interminority racism in the U.S.
- African American–Jewish relations
- Gangs in the United States, gangs are often a vehicle for inter-ethnic conflict
- Homophobia in ethnic minority communities
- Race relations | Where black and brown collide | Economist.com
- Riot Breaks Out At Calif. High School, Melee Involving 500 People Erupts At Southern California School - CBS News
- JURIST - Paper Chase: Race riot put down at California state prison
- Gang mayhem grips LA | World news | The Observer
- BAW: The Hutchinson Report: Thanks to Latino Gangs, There’s a Zone in L.A. Where Blacks Risk Death if They Enter
- Kim, Claire Jean. "Imagining race and nation in multiculturalist America" in Ethnic and Racial Studies. Nov 2004. 27:6.