Intermountain Medical Center
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008)|
Coordinates: Intermountain Medical Center is the largest hospital in the Intermountain West and the new flagship of Intermountain Healthcare. Located in Murray, Utah on a 100-acre (0.40 km2) site at the center of the Salt Lake Valley, Intermountain Medical Center serves as a major adult referral center for six surrounding states and more than 75 regional health care institutions. It has 452 beds and is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. Intermountain Medical Center opened in October 2007, and several premature babies were Life Flighted to the hospital on the first day for better treatment and care.
Intermountain Medical Center and University of Utah Hospital were tied for #1 atop rankings nearly 60 hospitals statewide, according to U.S. News & World Report's 2015-2016 "Best Hospitals" rankings.
The Intermountain Medical Center features a Level I trauma center, a 15-story inpatient, critical care-Level I trauma hospital, a heart and lung hospital for advanced cardiac and respiratory care, a women and newborn hospital, a cancer treatment hospital, medical education and research facilities, and physician offices. It is also the new home base for Intermountain's Life Flight. The new medical center replaced LDS Hospital as the flagship hospital of Intermountain Healthcare. This new site also replaced Cottonwood Hospital, though The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital (TOSH) continues to operate from the Cottonwood location.
Medical education and research facilities and clinics will also be built on the campus, as will physician office space. Intermountain Medical Center is a teaching hospital, affiliated with the University of Utah School of Medicine and several local nursing colleges.
Intermountain Medical Center's five buildings include:
- Jon & Karen Huntsman Cancer Center - A technologically advanced facility that offers a full range of oncology treatment services for cancer patients.
- J.L. Sorenson Heart & Lung Center - Provides advanced specialty services for heart and circulatory systems for inpatient as well as outpatient treatment.
- George S. & Dolores Doré Eccles Outpatient Care Center - Provides quick and convenient access for routine outpatient diagnosis, treatment and same-day surgery.
- J.L. Sorenson Patient Tower / Roy W. & Elizabeth E. Simmons Trauma & Emergency Center - A 15-story tertiary inpatient critical care hospital with approximately 208 acute inpatient beds.
- Carolyn Barnes Gardner Women & Newborn Center - Provides a commitment to caring for women and infants that will continue to play a significant role in keeping the region's infant mortality and morbidity rates among the lowest in the nation.
- http://intermountainhealthcare.org/hospitals/imed/Pages/home.aspx Intermountain Medical Center
- "Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, UT - US News Best Hospitals". health.usnews.com. Retrieved 2015-10-12.
- "University of Utah Hospital, Intermountain Medical Center tie for best Utah hospital". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 2015-10-12.