Internal Security Forces
|Internal Security Forces
قوى الأمن الداخلي
|Branch||Lebanese Armed Forces|
|Role||Preservation of Public Order, Security, Counter-terrorism, Intelligence, and Traffic Order|
|Motto||Security for the Nation and Civilians|
|Engagements||2007 Lebanon conflict
Battle of Sidon
Battle of Arsal
North Lebanon clashes (2014)
|Brigadier General Ibrahim Basbouss|
|Cpt. Wissam Eid †
Brig. Gen. Wissam al-Hassan †
The Internal Security Forces – ISF (Arabic: المديرية العامة لقوى الأمن الداخلي | al-Mudiriyya al-'aamma li-Qiwa al-Amn al-Dakhili) or Forces de Sécurité Intérieure (FSI) in French, are the national police and security force of Lebanon. Modern police were established in Lebanon in 1861, with creation of the Gendarmerie. In April 2005, Ashraf Rifi became head of the ISF, replacing Ali Hajj. Rifi then started to recruit younger members to become part of Lebanese Intelligence. His term ended in April 2013, and he was replaced by Roger Salem. ISF main opponents are Al-Qaeda and ISIS.
The number of personnel reached 30,000 people by 2000 and has grown to over 40,000 by 2013.
Their missions include :
Ministry of the interior
- Directorate General of Internal Security Forces
- Territorial Gendarmerie
- Mobile Gendarmerie
- Judicial Police
- Central Administration
- Beirut Police
- ISF Institute
- Social Services
- Commander of the Security of Embassies and Public Administration
An elite brigade was established after the 2007 conflict, which is regarded as the most advanced, well trained force in Lebanon, known as the Panthers (Al Fouhoud). The number of ISF personnel in this rank is kept secret and unknown to both the public and international community. They are mostly engaged in securing hostages, SWAT team raids and fighting terrorists. The Panthers use M4 Carbine, Heckler & Koch G36 and M24 Sniper Weapon System unlike the regular ISF personnel that use FN P90, AK-47s and M16 rifles. M113, VAB armored personnel carriers are also in their use. Uniforms are a Brown/Maroon beret, most of the Fouhouds wear full black outfits with black helmets and goggles.
- "Historical overview". Interior Security Forces (Lebanon). Retrieved 26 June 2007.
- "Lebanese security chiefs replaced". BBC. 28 April 2005. Retrieved 26 June 2007.
- "Rifi hands over police helm to Salem". The Daily Star. 30 March 2013. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- The EU helps the Internal Security Forces to strengthen the rule of law in Lebanon [archive]
- New radar: More than 67,000 tickets for speeding in two months
- GIGN: Visit of a delegation of French security in Lebanon
|Ibrahim Basbouss||Succeeded by
- General Security Directorate (Lebanon)
- Lebanese Armed Forces
- Lebanese civil war
- 1958 Lebanon crisis
- Wissam al-Hassan